Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2015, 18:27   #91
Registered User
 
gamayun's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Oakland, CA
Boat: Freedom 38
Posts: 1,231
Re: Who's Been to Palmyra?

http://www.researchgate.net/profile/...f934000000.pdf
__________________

__________________
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 19:01   #92
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Mexico, working on the boat
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 8,013
Images: 5
Re: Who's Been to Palmyra?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
I followed the link to read the article. Thanks for posting it.

However, I did not see any mention of the number of rats killed, nor the means of killing them described in any way (e.g. poison, traps, etc.).

Anyone here know what method(s) they used to eliminate/kill the rats?
They left copies of "Latitude 38" and "Latitudes and Attitudes" for them. This eventually made them insane, forcing them to swim offshore and drown...sad really.
__________________

__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 19:09   #93
Registered User
 
CS Cruiser's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: PCYC Toronto
Boat: CS36T
Posts: 310
Images: 10
Re: Who's Been to Palmyra?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
I followed the link to read the article. Thanks for posting it.

However, I did not see any mention of the number of rats killed, nor the means of killing them described in any way (e.g. poison, traps, etc.).

Anyone here know what method(s) they used to eliminate/kill the rats?
RAT POISON
__________________
Paul
s/v TENACITY - CS36T
CS Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 19:48   #94
Registered User
 
Steady Hand's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Crewing All of 2017 Available Globally
Boat: OPB = Crewing in 2017
Posts: 4,851
Re: Who's Been to Palmyra?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Thanks for posting this link to the report abstract.

Amazing!

They used 41 people, two helicopters, and dumped 85,000 pounds of rat bait (poison) on the islands!

And this was the third eradication project over a 10 year period on the islands.

That is a LOT of rat bait!

The report estimates there were 90-120 rats per hectare of land and there are 581 acres or 235 hectares of land. Average of 105 rats per hectare, means an estimated total of 24,675 rats on the islands were killed.

I bet that was a smelly place for a while.
__________________
Ahoy All Sailors! Need experienced crew for a passage or delivery in Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, Med, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean anytime in 2017? I am available on 24hr notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Steady Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 19:55   #95
cruiser

Join Date: May 2010
Location: SF Bay Area; Former Annapolis and MA Liveaboard.
Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Posts: 6,197
Re: Who's Been to Palmyra?

It was very impressive. Took a month. Large cartons of pellets. They had teams walk around in waiders with sling shots and shoot poison bait into the trees.

PICS:

A Rat-Free Palmyra? | The Nature Conservancy

Palmyra Atoll is Rat-Free
__________________
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 20:22   #96
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: north carolina
Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Posts: 3,113
Re: Who's Been to Palmyra?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Thanks for posting this link to the report abstract.

Amazing!

They used 41 people, two helicopters, and dumped 85,000 pounds of rat bait (poison) on the islands!

And this was the third eradication project over a 10 year period on the islands.

That is a LOT of rat bait!

The report estimates there were 90-120 rats per hectare of land and there are 581 acres or 235 hectares of land. Average of 105 rats per hectare, means an estimated total of 24,675 rats on the islands were killed.

I bet that was a smelly place for a while.
They use to tell us that there were x amount of brown tree snakes per acre everywhere on Guam,I saw 3 over a 10 year time frame!! Why not release hermorphidite rat snakes when you have a rat problem and then they would all die off after eating the rats! Always made me wonder why the tree snake was blamed for killing every single bird on Guam when chickens roamed every sq. inch. of the island and breed non stop...
__________________
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 20:49   #97
Registered User
 
gamayun's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Oakland, CA
Boat: Freedom 38
Posts: 1,231
Re: Who's Been to Palmyra?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
They use to tell us that there were x amount of brown tree snakes per acre everywhere on Guam,I saw 3 over a 10 year time frame!! Why not release hermorphidite rat snakes when you have a rat problem and then they would all die off after eating the rats! Always made me wonder why the tree snake was blamed for killing every single bird on Guam when chickens roamed every sq. inch. of the island and breed non stop...
You must mean sterile and not hermaphrodite, which has both male and female sex organs so could mate with anything that slithers by (perhaps even itself...).

Chickens are not as ecologically destructive as predators such as snakes and rats and even goats, though I don't care for any type of non-native, invasive animal on an island. It doesn't take long to throw everything into imbalance.
__________________
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 21:01   #98
Registered User
 
goat's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Everywhere (Sea of Cortez right now)
Boat: PSC Orion 27
Posts: 1,098
Re: Who's Been to Palmyra?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
You must mean sterile and not hermaphrodite, which has both male and female sex organs so could mate with anything that slithers by (perhaps even itself...).

Chickens are not as ecologically destructive as predators such as snakes and rats and even goats, though I don't care for any type of non-native, invasive animal on an island. It doesn't take long to throw everything into imbalance.
Easy now....
__________________
goat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 21:41   #99
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: NC
Boat: 1974 Morgan Out Island 33
Posts: 552
Re: Who's Been to Palmyra?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
You must mean sterile and not hermaphrodite, which has both male and female sex organs so could mate with anything that slithers by (perhaps even itself...).

Chickens are not as ecologically destructive as predators such as snakes and rats and even goats, though I don't care for any type of non-native, invasive animal on an island. It doesn't take long to throw everything into imbalance.
Uhhh... so what exactly is native to an island? Everything came from somewhere else. "Non-native" is just the last to arrive.

Not to make lite of a pest.
__________________
Order tends to Chaos. On the ocean it happens twice as fast.
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 21:47   #100
Senior Cruiser
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 11,468
Re: Who's Been to Palmyra?

Quote:
Chickens are not as ecologically destructive as predators such as snakes and rats and even goats, though I don't care for any type of non-native, invasive animal on an island. It doesn't take long to throw everything into imbalance.
The most destructive and hardest to eliminate is... the human being, hands down.

Something that I have unsuccessfully pointed out to rabid "get rid of non-native species in Oz" folks... you know, the ones that wanted to get rid of the coconut palms on Middle Percy Island.

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II , lying Port Cygnet, Tasmania once again
Jim Cate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 22:54   #101
Registered User
 
gamayun's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Oakland, CA
Boat: Freedom 38
Posts: 1,231
Re: Who's Been to Palmyra?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby54 View Post
Uhhh... so what exactly is native to an island? Everything came from somewhere else. "Non-native" is just the last to arrive.

Not to make lite of a pest.
This is well established in the scientific literature. See: Non-Native Species of the IRL Region for a comprehensive explanation and cites.
__________________
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 22:58   #102
Registered User
 
gamayun's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Oakland, CA
Boat: Freedom 38
Posts: 1,231
Re: Who's Been to Palmyra?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
Easy now....
Sorry goat, but every time I go to the Caribbean where they are nibbling down to twigs every bit of shrubbery except for the meanest plants with spines, and I see them listed on the menu, I always order that instead of the fish....
__________________
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 22:59   #103
Registered User
 
gamayun's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Oakland, CA
Boat: Freedom 38
Posts: 1,231
Re: Who's Been to Palmyra?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
The most destructive and hardest to eliminate is... the human being, hands down.

Something that I have unsuccessfully pointed out to rabid "get rid of non-native species in Oz" folks... you know, the ones that wanted to get rid of the coconut palms on Middle Percy Island.

Jim
I'm not against this either
__________________
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 23:25   #104
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: north carolina
Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Posts: 3,113
Re: Who's Been to Palmyra?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
You must mean sterile and not hermaphrodite, which has both male and female sex organs so could mate with anything that slithers by (perhaps even itself...).

Chickens are not as ecologically destructive as predators such as snakes and rats and even goats, though I don't care for any type of non-native, invasive animal on an island. It doesn't take long to throw everything into imbalance.
Being silly about hermorphidite snakes(hemorphodites are sterile?right?) my point about the chickens was that it takes some effort to climb trees catch birds and eat the native birds eggs, wherein it would be easy to eat baby chickens and find there eggs..Yet there are chickens every where but no native birds..I would have thought that the tree snake would have adapted to this "easy pray" rather than continue to exert energy climbing trees etc..hope this make more sense than my other post..
__________________
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 00:32   #105
Registered User
 
gamayun's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Oakland, CA
Boat: Freedom 38
Posts: 1,231
Re: Who's Been to Palmyra?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
..I would have thought that the tree snake would have adapted to this "easy pray" rather than continue to exert energy climbing trees etc..hope this make more sense than my other post..
It probably did (though they don't call them "tree snakes" because they look like trees) and the chickens would continue to breed like, um, invasive chickens do. Native animals that have never been preyed upon basically don't have that kind of resiliency so once you start killing them off, all that's left are going to be chickens. I'm just pointing out that it kinda sucks to go to a remote tropical island and have squawking chickens and goats, and tourists sitting around the pool with their Mai Tais, as the only remaining fauna...
__________________

__________________
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Visiting Palmyra Atoll medicrene Navigation 12 07-08-2016 00:38
Makalii Dismasted near Palmyra Atoll KDH Cruising News & Events 2 05-12-2012 01:29
Palmyra Pura Vida Off Topic Forum 23 26-08-2012 07:41
Been there, done that, ready to slow down!!! jjoftheusa Meets & Greets 3 11-11-2003 20:26
been gone for a whilewhatsup pelago General Sailing Forum 3 27-09-2003 20:59



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 16:40.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.