Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2008, 15:47   #16

Boat: Golden Gate 30, Westerly 23
Waaaay back when I had a 20-ft Danish Mermaid sloop (a smaller version of the Folkboat) I careened her down on the Alviso mudflats. Gooey but cheap fun; drying out on a beach is much more civilized but make sure you heel over on the high side as to keep water from overflowing into critical places. You'll have to do it for each side but a tide-change seemed time enough for the job.
Later I had (still have) a twin-keeled Westerly which I've put on a beach for bottom cleaning in FL and RI; wherever there's adequate tide change.
Yes, nowadays in CA I'm certain to be busted by the water-police on any number of counts; envirormental to "impersonating a shipwreck".
Old 13-05-2008, 16:12   #17

Mama always said, "Thrifty is as thrifty does."

The whole idea of "careen" suggests leaning over on the side: I'm not sure the word is technically correct when referring to a catamaran. They are simply beached. But I know Sean is always looking for ways to be self-sufficient.

Did it once on a small swing-keeler, so it was like having an internally-ballasted boat as far as the simplicity was concerned. Right in the middle of Alamitos Bay in Long Beach, CA. Ran the main halyard to a tree stump ashore, and snugged it up to establish a shoreward tilt, and the falling tide did the rest.

I always wondered why I wasn't approached by the Harbor Patrol: they probably would have thought the boat had run up on shore accidentally, had they seen it.

"Move it? Sorry, guys: it's going to have to wait until the tide comes in, in a few hours…"

Oh: even if there were a place, I don't think I'd to it with my 30' fin keeler.
Old 13-05-2008, 17:24   #18

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner
If careening is not allowed, try a parliamentary heel, but be sure to shut the portlights first.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 22:03   #19
cruiser

I've owned a twin keeler for 24 years now and wouldn't want a single keeler again. I spend weeks at a time in drying anchorages. When a gale is blowing, hearing your keels bottom out means you can forget about dragging anchor for a few hours. You then sleep well, then walk ashore . I've only hauled twice in 24 years , both in Tonga , with not enough tide to paint her and 5000 miles, mostly to windward , non stop last time, to home.
In the 80's most of the boats I built were single keelers. Now over 80% are twin keelers. Most of my clients who have single keelers wish they had gone for twins and all who have twin keelers wouldn't want anything else, including one couple who circumnavigated in one of my twin keelers.

In Europe you see miles of tide flats covered with boats in "Mud Berths" , year round. Some are twin keelers, others just lay down on each tide . No problem. It's been that way for decades.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2008, 01:49   #20
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Yup, have careened a 30 ft fin keel steel boat. It was the steel part that made the decision easy . Just took it into a sheltered bay with hard sand bottom and good forecast, nudged it onto the bottom at 3/4 high tide (falling) with at kedge anchor set offshore. Tide did the rest - allowed her to settle and refloated her about 12 hours ater.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2008, 04:45   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Brent:
I've edited your post to delete the gratuitous slur.
If you object, you are free to leave the CF ...

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2008, 11:13   #22

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
We almost always put our 36' on the beach to paint and change anodes or whatever else needs to be done. The only time I put her on the hard is if she needs to be there for a long time for some reason.
Don't really like putting a boat on the hard. Last time I really left one on the hard unattended was during my first circumnavigation.
Got to Durban, Mother was in a bad car wreck back in the States. Flew back home and while I was gone for 3 weeks, they had a fire at the yard and my 33' was only about 25' long. Lost the whole front of the boat back to the mast.
Ruined a beautiful trip, luckily I carried insurance, but I really do miss that boat. Like the new one better for some reasons, but I sure do miss the old one.
Always put that one on the beach for cleaning and repairs, omly time she was on a travelift, actually a railway was at her first launching.
This boat has a wide full keel, and just ease her up to the beach, drop a kedge to each side and rear and she will sit upright with no problems...
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2008, 11:18   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post
Couldn't agree more. I had started devising plans, but never careened the Gulfstar. I had dried out at a pier where you tie up and rest on the keel in an upright position, but for some reason... I was nervous to just lay her over and put all the weight on the hull (and probably on a rock with my luck... ha ha).

So no. I didn't.
Sean,
Agreed, I would be too nervous to careen a really large vessel. The potential damage and other potential problems I think would outweigh the savings you would have by not having used a boatyard.

David

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 10:25   #24

I was really impressed by the fellow who I watched intentionally careen his boat on his mooring, which I took a picture of from my marina and started this thread with. He left recently, and yesterday they put another boat on the same mooring. I'm not sure whether to caption these, 'How NOT to careen your boat', or 'Coming soon to the used boat market'.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hownottocareen.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	216.9 KB
ID:	4541   Click image for larger version

Name:	hownottocareen2.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	278.0 KB
ID:	4542  

Old 03-08-2008, 10:37   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 Trimaran, Siruis 22 mono, 16 foot MFG daysailor
Hope his ports and companionway are watertight. At least do it with the port side down to keep the offset companionway clear. I like those boats in the foreground. It looks like a Piver Nimble and a Marples Constant Camber.

Patrick, age 9
Steve Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 11:04   #26

Boat: Dufour 35
Once in a lifetime(?) careening. My Contessa 26 in Panama 1982.
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 14:06   #27

Boat: Trismus 37
I have a single keel 700mm wide at the widest part, she will sit happily on this without being at all tippy. There is provision for attaching legs either side for more stability, they didn't come with the boat and I havn't needed them. The only down side is cleaning the bottom of the keel.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 19:09   #28

Boat: Pearson 36, S.V. Distant Star
Send a message via AIM to SVDistantStar
Say i had a beach with enough slope to do this with my Pearson 36, could the keel take it? Theres a small island with a nice little beach that i beached a Bayfield 25 on with no problems, but have always been worried about the Pearson. It needs a cleaning pretty bad.

Heres a pic of the beach.
Old 05-08-2008, 19:34   #29

Boat: R&C, Leopard Catermaran, 47', Rapture
I guess I am confussed. I just put on SCUBA gear, take her in the gulf and go down on her.
shawnbush12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 20:48   #30

Boat: Easterly 36 Aft Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnbush12 View Post
I guess I am confussed. I just put on SCUBA gear, take her in the gulf and go down on her.
I SCUBA 2. Why chance it when I think my fin keel might break off or the hull might get punctured by a rock... wait I can put my SCUBA gear on and check for rocks.