Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 23-05-2016, 10:21   #31

Re: Who pays for what ?

Glad to have found this fresh, blog on this topic. I'm a crewing for a friend along with a couple other friends out of our marina to move a boat from the east coast to Bermuda and back. I'm going one way, another is doing the return and third guy is a friend of the skipper thats flying over from Spain to crew (and I assume see him and his family). The owner/skipper is spending considerable coin making his boat "ready"; the crew, that are here, have helped with planning, education, and some help preping the boat.
There has been a disagreement about expenses, how to divide and what constitutes owners obligations vs trip expenses. A further complication is the fact that the skipper believes his friends travel expenses should reduce his portion, increasing the other crews obligation. The trip is imposing an insurance premium that the captain sees as a trip expense, I'm curious if anyone sees it otherwise? Other than that, food, fuel, and dockage.

Old 23-05-2016, 10:27   #32
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

share the sail works for me. i have no friendships so strong as to be able to survive my having to support em.
agreements to be made in advance.

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2016, 10:46   #33

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by night mission View Post
Glad to have found this fresh, blog on this topic. I'm a crewing for a friend along with a couple other friends out of our marina to move a boat from the east coast to Bermuda and back. I'm going one way, another is doing the return and third guy is a friend of the skipper thats flying over from Spain to crew (and I assume see him and his family). The owner/skipper is spending considerable coin making his boat "ready"; the crew, that are here, have helped with planning, education, and some help preping the boat.
There has been a disagreement about expenses, how to divide and what constitutes owners obligations vs trip expenses. A further complication is the fact that the skipper believes his friends travel expenses should reduce his portion, increasing the other crews obligation. The trip is imposing an insurance premium that the captain sees as a trip expense, I'm curious if anyone sees it otherwise? Other than that, food, fuel, and dockage.
Sometimes I think friends is used loosely. The owner is providing the opportunity and the major investment for an adventure. He should have to be beating friends off for wanting to contribute.JMHO
Old 23-05-2016, 10:51   #34

Remember a friend will lend you money and forget about it. A really good friend will do the same plus help you hide a body it you need to.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 23-05-2016, 11:59   #35

Wait a minute. Am I understanding this correctly? The owner wants to move his boat. His insurance company is telling him that they won't cover it without him paying an additional premium. Now he is trying to make "friends" pay the cost of the extra insurance?

SERIOUSLY!?! He thinks YOU should pay to cover the cost of insurance on HIS boat?

Personally, my answer to him would be HELL NO! And then I would remove him from my list of "friends." You shouldn't have to pay for fuel. You shouldn't have to pay for dockage. And you SURE AS HELL should not have to pay for his insurance costs!
Old 23-05-2016, 12:12   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

I really don't think there is one 'right' answer to this. The simpelist example is when I have been hired to deliver a boat for someone I didn't know. That was strait up a financial deal and I charged a day rate and travel expenses. If the owner balked at this then I walked away from a job because that's what it was.

I have also delivered boats back from distance races, if I did the race on the boat I would normally do it for free or just cost. Figuring the owner spent a huge amount on my fun and I could do at least this to defray his cost. Hopefully so he would want to do it again next time. But if I was paid to race then I would charge for the delivery. At that point I was doing the entire thing for the owners benefit not mine and felt I should get paid for it.

When it comes to 'friends' I have no idea what the right answer is. I just always did what felt right at the time. If it was a pleasure trip then I never charged we were there to hang out, if it was a strait delivery then I may or may not depending... If I travel to hang out on someone's boat for a week or two doing vacation stuff then I think it's only fair I contribute to the cost (food, booze, etc) and always buy more than my fair share, whatever that is.

On the other hand I have been invited aboard some incredible boats as a guest, such that I couldn't possibly contribute meaningfully to the operations cost, and would have refused to go if that was expected. Donating my fair share to keep a 40' sailboat running is one thing, paying a pro rate fuel bill on a 90' sports fishing boat with a captain, cook, and steward is another.

To me this is a lot like 'who pays when you go to dinner'. It simply depends, and the only fair answer is to be clear ahead of time what everyone's expectations are. If I don't feel they are 'fair' or if the budget that seems 'fair' is still too much then you walk away ahead of time.

So what do I expect if it's my boat? Nothing at all. I certainly appreciate when people offer to donate, but I expect to pay for it all unless it has been arranged ahead of time.

I will always remember the ghost white face of a friend of mine who offered to cover the fuel bill before a fishing rodeo. He had never been deep sea fishing before and thought that was a reasonable expense to pick up... Right up until the fuel bill was tallied and he was on the hook for about $25,000 for three days of fishing, now this guy was a hard worker, but made maybe 30,000 a year as a mechanic there was no way he could cover that bill. While we were at the fuel dock I pulled him aside and told him there was no way anyone expected him to cover that bill. His offer was appreciated, but the running cost was paid for by the owner, and that was the end of it. If we actually won the tournament then that was also why the boat got a share of the prize money.

He was invited back fishing all the time, because he volunteered to keep the engines running, but never again offered to contribute to the fuel bill.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2016, 12:35   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

If you pay part of the insurance, then I guess its safe to assume if there is a claim, your getting part of the settlement.
If no, why not?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: