Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2012, 06:02   #1

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Who Knows Miami?

We'll expect to be leaving Key West later this week and will have to come in to Miami.
Any suggestions on marinas that are accessable and won't break the bank?
And what is the typical rate per foot in that area?

Vic

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 07:03   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Who Knows Miami?

Miami Beach Marina ➥ Miami Beach Marina in Miami Beach, Florida, United States - Home
Transient Daily Up to 250' starting at $3.50/ft w/ 30' min.*
Monthly 30 Days Min. From $60/ft per month.*
Seasonal 120 Days Min. From $45/ft per month.*
Annual 12 months From 22/ft per month.*
* Excluding Electrical Service Charges

Sea Isle ➥ Sea Isle Marina
Daily $3.50 per foot including 30A Electric
1 Month = $35.00/foot per month
2 - 6 Months = $25.00 /foot per month

Miamarina Bayside, Dinner Key, & Marine Stadium Marinas
Rates ➥ Miami Marinas

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 07:07   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Marinas in Miami will break the bank. Especially the transient rates. I paid over $800 a month for a slip six years ago when I had to leave my boat. I think Pelican Harbor north of Miami might be the cheapest. It is a Miami/Dade marina. The rates in the government run marinas is a bit better then the private ones. If you are a Florida resident the monthly rate is cheaper. There are lots of moorings in the area such as Dinner Key and Crandon Park. I like Crandon Park on Key Biscayne. All the marinas I mentioned are government run.

Unless you have to leave your boat I would not go to a marina. There are many good anchorages in the Miami area.
Old 31-07-2012, 10:16   #4

Thanks.
Looks like this is going to hurt a bit.

Old 31-07-2012, 10:54   #5

Location: New Mexico and our S/V is in Fort Pierce..hope to be there soon and sailing.
Boat: S/V"KAREN", Pearson Alberg 35. an achilles dingy, 2 kyaks.

No ...Dinner Key is really a great place. We were on a mooring in the middle of the mooring field ( some where in the "70s balls is best for the summer...you can download a schematic of the mooring balls by going to coconut grove/dinner key mooring field)....$305 w/the tax for a month...for our 35 foot s/v.....by the month is the way to go..its a lot cheaper that way. Good launch service...just call them on the VHF channel 68 and they will pick you up..help with the stuff you are taking either too shore or to the boat (8:00 AM to 5:00PM)...they come out on regular hourly pick ups and are reliable for conveyance for folks in the mooring field....you can have ice convenient to the launch site, ( they will even deliver it to your boat) they have a nice clean laundry, several nice shower facilities, a great dingy dock and very pleasant staff.....also right next door practically is the Fresh Market....yummm...and you are convenient to Coconut Grove and the Coconut Grove Circulator will for .25 cents will get you around really well in that area to the other markets and facilities....its a great way to visit Miami....you do need to lock up your dingy and dinghy motor...as it is everywhere there are the sticky fingers....but Dinner Key seems to have a pretty good protection system in place....
susanna reiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 11:40   #6

Boat: 40' Jeanneau

Unless you're really obligated to be in Miami, consider running up to Ft. Lauderdale and staying at Las Olas Municipal Marina. They're very reasonably priced and are in a fabulous location a couple of blocks from the beach and a few short blocks from Bahia Mar.
Tia Bu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 13:45   #7

Thanks Susanna, that is exactly the kind of input I was looking to find.
Knowing there is a service to get us to and from the shore is great. It will be a short stop because we are trying to get up to Chesapeake asap. We've got a lot of work to do and don't particularly want a hurricane snapping at our heels... 'heals' maybe??

Tia, thanks for the tip for Ft Lauderdale. We may have to stop in there if the weather makes us run for cover.
Unfortunately we do have to go to Miami. We have an appointment with Immigration to see if we're going to be able to stay long enough to do essential boat work, or if they're going to give us the boot.
I'm even going to trim the beard and comb my hair, take a shower, wear underwear...

Old 31-07-2012, 14:38   #8

Location: New Mexico and our S/V is in Fort Pierce..hope to be there soon and sailing.

Another great place to stop on your way ...is Fort Pierce....reasonable facilities, fun places at practical prices lots of nice and helpful people....and it is pretty good for a hurricane hole too....... good luck
Old 31-07-2012, 14:46   #9

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
We'll expect to be leaving Key West later this week and will have to come in to Miami.
Any suggestions on marinas that are accessable and won't break the bank?
And what is the typical rate per foot in that area?

Vic
I've priced several marinas around coconut grove. The details slightly vary, but the upshot is that it will be just under $1000/mo for approx. 40' of boat.

There are also mooring fields. The number "$25" is sticking in my mind, but I'm not sure of that.

Miami is crippled by the superyacht phenom, and the large number of dealers in the area keeping empty boats in slips, and of course by the extremely high demand for boat space from the residents and liveaboards.

Last I checked, space was available but costly.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 14:50   #10

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
Unfortunately we do have to go to Miami. We have an appointment with Immigration to see if we're going to be able to stay long enough to do essential boat work, or if they're going to give us the boot.
Sorry that I'm finding the above a bit confusing - it sounds like you are only making a day trip? There surely are easier ways to do this. How long do you need to be in Miami? There are plenty of other places to be in So Flo, and much easier to live in and get repairs. Renting a car, or even taking a bus from the north or south might be faster, easier, and cheaper than what you're currently looking at -depending on your schedule needs.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 15:06   #11

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanna reiter View Post
No ...Dinner Key is really a great place. We were on a mooring in the middle of the mooring field ( some where in the "70s balls is best for the summer...you can download a schematic of the mooring balls by going to coconut grove/dinner key mooring field)....$305 w/the tax for a month...for our 35 foot s/v.....by the month is the way to go..its a lot cheaper that way. Good launch service...just call them on the VHF channel 68 and they will pick you up..help with the stuff you are taking either too shore or to the boat (8:00 AM to 5:00PM)...they come out on regular hourly pick ups and are reliable for conveyance for folks in the mooring field....you can have ice convenient to the launch site, ( they will even deliver it to your boat) they have a nice clean laundry, several nice shower facilities, a great dingy dock and very pleasant staff.....also right next door practically is the Fresh Market....yummm...and you are convenient to Coconut Grove and the Coconut Grove Circulator will for .25 cents will get you around really well in that area to the other markets and facilities....its a great way to visit Miami....you do need to lock up your dingy and dinghy motor...as it is everywhere there are the sticky fingers....but Dinner Key seems to have a pretty good protection system in place....
It's been a couple of years, but the last time I checked the Dinner Key moorings were ltd. to 40' boats. The OP lists a 54' CT.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 15:11   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
It's been a couple of years, but the last time I checked the Dinner Key moorings were ltd. to 40' boats. The OP lists a 54' CT.
Nah....I have seen vessels 40 foot and over...it depends on mooring availability....a 54 footer should be fine, but they should call ahead and reserve a mooring...just in case
Old 31-07-2012, 15:14   #13

Boat: private yacht always moving

On Virginia Key in the South West corner there is a free anchorage. it is right by 913. (rickenbacker causway),,,,there is also a marina there, not sure of the name, has facilities, also rusty pelican has a restaurant there
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 15:16   #14

Boat: private yacht always moving

also free anchorage on watson island, the miami yacht club is there

MYChome
1001 Macarthur Cswy Miami, FL 33132
(305) 371-0703
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 16:13   #15

Boat: Swift 40 - BaDonkaDonk

Careful, if you are heading north on the ICW from Government Cut to Pelican Harbour or Ft Lauderdale, Julia Tuttle Causeway bridge has a clearance around 55 feet. I stayed at Pelican Harbour this past winter and the only negative is no wifi and make sure you are not down wind from the Pelican Rescue Station. I paid about $20 a foot for a month to month. If you are planning on staying a few months you might consider signing an annual contract (read the fine print concerning early cancelation). Another boat had signed a annual contract and was able to break it with 30 days notice when they needed to head north unexpectedly.
wgh52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
miami