Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2012, 16:14   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Re: Who Knows Miami?

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post
On Virginia Key in the South West corner there is a free anchorage. it is right by 913. (rickenbacker causway),,,,there is also a marina there, not sure of the name, has facilities, also rusty pelican has a restaurant there
There is a great FREE anchorage in this area (see Opn CPN). The problem I found was that it is on the exit path of planes leaving MIA. Although the planes have gotten some altitude by the time they pass over.

THEY REALLY SOUND LOUD AT 23:00. Next time I head down that way, if conditions permit, I will drop a hook south of the Rickenbacker to get a tad more peace and quiet.

Bill
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 16:18   #17

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
There is a great FREE anchorage in this area (see Opn CPN). The problem I found was that it is on the exit path of planes leaving MIA. Although the planes have gotten some altitude by the time they pass over.

THEY REALLY SOUND LOUD AT 23:00. Next time I head down that way, if conditions permit, I will drop a hook south of the Rickenbacker to get a tad more peace and quiet.

Bill

It's not just the noise. The boat gets covered with unburnt fuel or whatever that comes out of these planes. It's amazing how dirty the boat can become just sitting in the path.
Old 31-07-2012, 16:42   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

If you need any marine supplies while you're in Miami give me a shout. We offer free delivery to any of the local marinas or can meet you at a dinghy dock. You can also take a dinghy ride up the Miami river and stop at our dock. Sorry I haven't got a place for your big boat.
Old 31-07-2012, 18:43   #19

Boat: 2007 Silverton 39MY

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
We'll expect to be leaving Key West later this week and will have to come in to Miami.
Any suggestions on marinas that are accessable and won't break the bank?
And what is the typical rate per foot in that area?

Vic
What day are you coming in and how long are you looking to stay? I have a slip, power and water that you are welcome to use for free if you are not staying long. I am on Belle Isle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belle_Isle_(Miami_Beach), which is just a 1/2 mile north of the Miami Beach marina.
CampWhippet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:43   #20

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgh52 View Post
Careful, if you are heading north on the ICW from Government Cut to Pelican Harbour or Ft Lauderdale, Julia Tuttle Causeway bridge has a clearance around 55 feet. I stayed at Pelican Harbour this past winter and the only negative is no wifi and make sure you are not down wind from the Pelican Rescue Station. I paid about $20 a foot for a month to month. If you are planning on staying a few months you might consider signing an annual contract (read the fine print concerning early cancelation). Another boat had signed a annual contract and was able to break it with 30 days notice when they needed to head north unexpectedly.
Our mast height is 65' so we're limited as to what bits of the ICW we can use. We expect to be offshore and in a bit of a hurry.

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:52   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampWhippet View Post
What day are you coming in and how long are you looking to stay? I have a slip, power and water that you are welcome to use for free if you are not staying long. I am on Belle Isle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belle_Isle_(Miami_Beach), which is just a 1/2 mile north of the Miami Beach marina.
That's a generous offer

We expect to get to Miami this sunday. We have a meeting at Immigration in Kendall on monday, and if we haven't been arrested we'll be heading north again on the next good weather window. We need to get to Chesapeake asap.

What is your approach like? We're a long keel heavy displacement (28 tons) boat without a bow thruster, but an amazingly skilfull crew

Old 01-08-2012, 11:07   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
Sorry that I'm finding the above a bit confusing - it sounds like you are only making a day trip? There surely are easier ways to do this. How long do you need to be in Miami? There are plenty of other places to be in So Flo, and much easier to live in and get repairs. Renting a car, or even taking a bus from the north or south might be faster, easier, and cheaper than what you're currently looking at -depending on your schedule needs.
This might make it a bit clearer.
We're getting the transmission repaired in Key West, and then heading up to Chesapeake Bay where we need to get more work done while we sit out the hurricane season.
Reason for going to Chesapeake simple economics, and I'd like to see the area. I have a buddy, who is actually sailing with us, who has a dock and extensive workshop, tools and equipment there. He's also retired and has loads of experience, so all things considred, we'll get the most bang for buck in spite of the distance.

Regarding Miami, Immigration wants us to show up for a meeting, and the nearest office is Miami. We have the choice of sitting around here for 3 days after the transmission is back in (tomorrow), and renting a car to drive to Miami and back on monday, or taking the boat. Given that Miami is on our route it makes sense to use the time to get there, have the meeting and continue north as soon as we can.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:53   #23

Quote:
also free anchorage on watson island, the miami yacht club is there

MYChome
1001 Macarthur Cswy Miami, FL 33132
(305) 371-0703
Thanks for the heads up.
I believe there are a lot of shallow areas in Miami in general.
Can these anchorages be approached with a 6'6" draft, and 65' mast height?

Old 01-08-2012, 11:57   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanna reiter View Post
Nah....I have seen vessels 40 foot and over...it depends on mooring availability....a 54 footer should be fine, but they should call ahead and reserve a mooring...just in case
They only have 2 moorings that could handle us and they're both taken. Nice helpful guy though. Would have only been $22 per night!

Old 01-08-2012, 12:11   #25

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up.
Yes, the shallowest part is the entrance just south of the Venetian Causeway Bridge West when you head in (East) towards the Venetian islands. There is about seven feet here. Stay about 60 feet south of the causeway as you head in. I use the seawall along the apartment block dead ahead as a range. Stay just to the right of a line from the wall. The shallow water is only until you get to the big apartment block on your left. After that it's all good.

I usually anchor off Belle Isle (where you have been offered a dock). Lots of supermarkets etc. and access to transit. Just tie and lock the dink in the Collins Canal.

You cannot go through Government Cut if there are two or more cruise ships in. You have to take the route south of Dodge Island but it's all good water. If Govt. Cut is open, no bridges. If you have to go around Dodge Island there is a railroad bridge that is usually open and then you have to go under the MacArthur Causeway bridge which is 65 ft.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:11   #26

Boat: private yacht always moving

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up.
not sure og depth, check a chart as I do not have one handy

here is a photo of virginia key. if you go there do not forget to go to Jimbos,,,a part of florida you will never see again. i know you can get into the state park in key biscayne, I have been there in a 6'6" 44 foot boat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	marine plus free anchorage.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	436.9 KB
ID:	44267   Click image for larger version

Name:	key biscayne state park.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	394.9 KB
ID:	44268  

captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:19   #27

Quote:
not sure og depth, check a chart as I do not have one handy

here is a photo of virginia key. if you go there do not forget to go to Jimbos,,,a part of florida you will never see again. i know you can get into the state park in key biscayne, I have been there in a 6'6" 44 foot boat
Charts will not help much with depths here. You have to rely on local knowledge. Call TowBoatUS. They know. As for getting into Crandon Park Marina on Key Biscayne, no problem. Well marked channel.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:35   #28

One more thing. If you anchor in the area around Belle Isle there is free wifi that you can get from the boat - City Of Miami Beach.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:52   #29

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
We have the choice of sitting around here for 3 days after the transmission is back in (tomorrow), and renting a car to drive to Miami and back on monday, or taking the boat. Given that Miami is on our route it makes sense to use the time to get there, have the meeting and continue north as soon as we can.
Ok, so it's a day or two. I suggest looking into a mooring at the Marina nearest the immigration office. If it's where I think it is, I believe you can walk there from the Miami city marina. If not, I suggest using Google maps "Transit" feature to figure out where the most convenient bus route would begin. A mooring will likely be your most economical option in that area.

Trains are a bit of a pain to use. Buses are typically easier in Miami.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 13:54   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
Ok, so it's a day or two. I suggest looking into a mooring at the Marina nearest the immigration office. If it's where I think it is, I believe you can walk there from the Miami city marina. If not, I suggest using Google maps "Transit" feature to figure out where the most convenient bus route would begin. A mooring will likely be your most economical option in that area.

Trains are a bit of a pain to use. Buses are typically easier in Miami.
Pretty sure that would be Dinner Key Marina. They only have 2 mooring balls that could take us and they're both taken. None of the other Miami City Marinas have mooring balls.
If there are options nearer the Imigration offices in Kendall I'd sure like to know about them.

Tags
miami