Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2008, 15:56   #1

Location: Maryland...just a little too far removed from the Chesapeake Bay for my liking!
Who Are You?

DISCLAIMER!!!

While the question above certainly lends itself to political discussion, that is expressly NOT my intention here. I am not looking to inflame anyone's sensitivities, so please take this question in it's intended context.

Those of you who cruise internationally for extended periods of time...is there any change in how you self-identify as far as your citizenship is concerned. Do you in essence see yourself as a citizen of the world? Do you retain a national identity (see yourself as representing your country of citizenship while abroad?) Do you identify yourself primarily as a cruiser/sailor, or any other designation I have not mentioned? Do you find yourself less interested in events and happenings in your country of citizenship and identify more with cruising events and issues?

I am just curious about some of the effects of living aboard and abroad for extended periods of time.

Please, if you have forgotten the disclaimer above, read it again before posting a reply!

S/V Loose Cannon - and that should be warning enough!
gnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2008, 16:16   #2
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnelson View Post
DISCLAIMER!!!

While the question above certainly lends itself to political discussion, that is expressly NOT my intention here. I am not looking to inflame anyone's sensitivities, so please take this question in it's intended context.

Those of you who cruise internationally for extended periods of time...is there any change in how you self-identify as far as your citizenship is concerned. Do you in essence see yourself as a citizen of the world? Do you retain a national identity (see yourself as representing your country of citizenship while abroad?) Do you identify yourself primarily as a cruiser/sailor, or any other designation I have not mentioned? Do you find yourself less interested in events and happenings in your country of citizenship and identify more with cruising events and issues?

I am just curious about some of the effects of living aboard and abroad for extended periods of time.

Please, if you have forgotten the disclaimer above, read it again before posting a reply!
Having lived aboard professionally outside the USA and having lived aboard inside the USA non-professionally, I can you that this effect has definitely taken place for me.

Having a dual citizenship means I am feeling a lot less attached to any one country.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2008, 17:23   #3

I agree with Sullivan. My youth was about evenly split between Canada, Australia, and the US - and as a result, I'm simply not a fervent nationalist (never have been). My allegiances have always been a bit more based on associated experiences. Example:

I'm a huge sports fan. Watching something like the Olympics is a different experience for me than it is for most. Who exactly should I be rooting for? Well for me it's typically as follows: I rooted for the US basketball team because I was a teenager in Santa Barbara when I first became a fan of basketball therefore whenever watching an international basketball competition I root for the US. I started playing hockey in Canada almost as early as I started walking @ 3 years old and therefore when watching international Hockey I always root for Team Canada (extremely fervently!!!) While in grade school in Australia, I had a classmate who's ,mom was a beach volleyball player and I fell in love with the sport (and his really kewl mama) therefore when I watch international volleyball competition I root for team Australia. The same has carried over into most other sports as well. I'm a Chicago Bear fan in the NFL, since an uncle took me to see a game when I was 9 years old and visiting him. With most things in my life, my alegiances stem directly from my first experiences with something.

I'm always acutely aware of what might be the best to identify myself as when I travel. I hold a Canadian and US passport, as well as an Australian permanent residency visa. Which of these I use is dependent on just where I'll be traveling and which will provide the most seamless immigration transitions. Othere times, which I select will be based on current political anomalies of the day. I'm consistent in making cursory introductions based on which ever documentation I've originally chosen when entering a country. As I develop more personal relationships with people, I then share more of my varied background and it usually makes sense to them because at that point they'd generally been trying to figure me out. It's a bit odd to be in a VERY nationalistic world and simply not have a sense of this type of self identification. It usually frustrates the hell out of those who engage me in political conversation since absent those 'normal' allegiances - I'm never feel the need to become defensive of really anyplace. For me, there simply is no emotion involved in such discussions. I might as well be discussing red vs green jelly beans.....
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2008, 17:35   #4

Boat: Catalina 34 - "Points North"
As long as you've got that Team Canada hockey thing down, the rest can be forgiven.
Old 29-08-2008, 04:05   #5
CLOD

Boat: none
Aussie - you sure you aren't really an international spy?
sailorboy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2008, 04:43   #6

Boat: 2004 Manta 42 - Perseverance
I've discovered that the more I travel in "foreign" countries, the more I feel connected to the U.S. International cruising for us was always meant to be for a finite period of time, after which we would return to the U.S. We will be doing that in the coming year, and I am looking forward to cruising American waters as well as enjoying the benefits that land-life holds. We may spend a few months each winter in the Bahamas, but I'm not sure that counts as foreign travel anymore.
Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2008, 04:51   #7

I was always amazed when travelling how expats have a way of finding each other and then staying in a close group. Especially in places where the language is different, there's a real tendency to 'stay with your own kind'. A big part of the pleasure for me came in fighting that urge, and venturing out away from the expat communities. I think language is more of an identity than geography when abroad.
Old 29-08-2008, 05:19   #8
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiesuede View Post
I always root for Team Canada (extremely fervently!!!)

The whole team?????!?!?!?! All at once, or one at a time?? ha ha ha

Having been in Australia, I assume you know what "root" means there.

Just joking around... the international flavor of this board can make it a lot of fun.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2008, 07:09   #9
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I claim to be a citizen of this world, but the U.S.A. claims I belong to them....GO FIGURE!!!!!!
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2008, 07:21   #10
Back to the game

Boat: Pearson Countess 44 wannabe
Sully is a world citizen cartoon
Old 29-08-2008, 07:39   #11
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Soft Air,

Now don't be picking on the Cptn!
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2008, 07:59   #12

Boat: Privilege 37
Like an earlier poster, I was born in one country (naturally - UK) thus have citizenship. I also have australian citizenship, and have residential for Norway.

I lived most of my life in UK, but have always been drawn to Aus. I have lived there for 2 years, and intend to eventually live there permanently.

Sports are always a big problem, especially as UK have at last got their act together with cricket.
Old 29-08-2008, 08:02   #13
Back to the game

2frolic is about to graduate as a world citizen cartoon at Sully's school, same style
Old 29-08-2008, 08:05   #14
Back to the game

I have a nationality that the rest of the world hates

I am colombian and looking for a first world rich girl who loves to sail and willing to share her citizenship and balance on her first world checking account, receiving applications at: thirdworld@softair.us