Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2018, 18:37   #1

Boat: Idylles 15.5
Send a message via Yahoo to Idylles15.5
which roller furler

Just a quick answer from any guys out there doing some serious traveling. Finally leaving next sept for the big trip roundy round. Boat is mint, ready to go. Only thing not new is the roller furler. I've rebuilt the old Goiot and it still works well, but when I took the sail off this winter I noticed the seam on the casting in the drum was cracked in a spot. Time to suck it up. So I've worked on a bunch of them on customers boats. I've replaced egged out torlon bearing on profurl and some others, but the big 3100 Schaefers seem to be really durable. I'm pretty sure thats the way I'm going, and no its not because my last name is Schlaefer lol. Just some input from guys (or ladys / Transgenders I don't want to offend anybody lol) Who have been doing some serious world cruising. I don't need a whole essay, just which have you depended on for thousands of sea miles. Thank you
Idylles15.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 18:47   #2

Boat: Kanter 52' cutter
Re: which roller furler

Schaefer 3100 on bow and 2100 on cutter stay sail.....on 52’ Kanter, with 72’ Air draft.....bulletproof on second go round...highly recommend.
sailnautilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 19:24   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I would recommend the Profurl LC-42.

The Schaefer is a great unit but pretty expensive. The profurl is a lot easier to assemble also.
Old 23-01-2018, 19:30   #4

That sealed system captures a lot of crud. I have replaced more Torlon bearings in those then any other unit I've worked on. They are out as far as I'm concerned, but thanks, I welcome the input. I'm going to tab the totals at the end of the thread and weigh the comments.
Old 23-01-2018, 20:32   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idylles15.5 View Post
That sealed system captures a lot of crud. I have replaced more Torlon bearings in those then any other unit I've worked on. They are out as far as I'm concerned, but thanks, I welcome the input. I'm going to tab the totals at the end of the thread and weigh the comments.
Tab them away, I'll be in the market in a few years and would welcome the results.
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 00:34   #6

Boat: Catalina 470

I have a the 3100. Can't really compare it to anything else but can say in the 7500nm I did this year it performed flawlessly in all conditions.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 01:06   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

If long term reliability and strength is your primary concern, have a look at the Reef Rite from New Zealand. Profound strength, uses readily available common bearings and seals and has a few unique features as well. Top notch equipment for the serious cruiser.

Jim
Old 24-01-2018, 04:36   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Torlon is the type of plastic used to make the Harken and Schaefer ball bearings.

Profurls use sealed steel bearings factory greased. Just like wheel bearings in a Toyota that go 300,000 miles. You can not "clean the crud" out of them. Typically they last 25+ years, but occasionally have problems sooner.

Profurls have a 10 year warranty. Most people have their boats less time than that in my experience.

I have also seem Schaefer systems develop some corrosion issues and need replacing around the time frame you'd expect to do bearings and seals in a profurl
Old 24-01-2018, 04:56   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: which roller furler

I like Harkens.. but then I'm kinda stuck in my ways..

C&P

Harken's MKIV Jib Reefing & Furling units solve the inefficient shape of reefed sails with independent head and tack swivels. The independent swivels allow the middle to furl first, flattening the sail and reducing heel. For the best results, use a sail designed specifically for reefing with your MKIV Furler.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 15:34   #10

Boat: Cape Dory 31

I've owned three Harken units since new. No problems ever....including one unit I had for 18 years. Go with what ya know......;-)
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 16:26   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Torlon is the type of plastic used to make the Harken and Schaefer ball bearings.

Profurls use sealed steel bearings factory greased. Just like wheel bearings in a Toyota that go 300,000 miles. You can not "clean the crud" out of them. Typically they last 25+ years, but occasionally have problems sooner.

Profurls have a 10 year warranty. Most people have their boats less time than that in my experience.

I have also seem Schaefer systems develop some corrosion issues and need replacing around the time frame you'd expect to do bearings and seals in a profurl
I'm not here to argue with anyone, but The sealed profurls also keep the sludge inside when salt water does seep in and turn the grease in cruddy goop. They wipe out and loosen up. I've also seen a few where the allen head screws on the bottom side linkage back out, then then strip the female threads and the whole unit becomes sketchy. I have nothing against profurl, but I have just run into these issues with their product. I'm not sure where you get this 10 year number. Maybe on a power boat where the drive train gets wasted over the years with running hours, but all the guys I know around long Island have had their boats for quite awhile. I'm the one who works on them. How long do wheel bearings last on boat trailers when people back their boat down a ramp into salt water. Not long, and if you have ever changed them ( which I have many at are marina) The grease is wasted from the salt water intrusion. Exactly why I don't want a sealed bearing full of grease I can't get at to clean.
Old 24-01-2018, 16:28   #12

not are, I meant our, or the marina where I work.
Old 24-01-2018, 16:41   #13

Just to be clear I meant I've replaced Torlon on other roller furlers. I'm aware of what they are made of, but they do egg out. The profurls are carbon, not stainless, but dirty grease full of salty crap will pit and wipe out any bearing.
Old 24-01-2018, 16:47   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
If long term reliability and strength is your primary concern, have a look at the Reef Rite from New Zealand. Profound strength, uses readily available common bearings and seals and has a few unique features as well. Top notch equipment for the serious cruiser.

Jim
Just looked at them, I like that mechanical pawl that locks the unit to take the load off the line. I had a rotted line snap on delivery to Newport to put a customers boat on a cargo ship to the BVI. Rigg was a mess, the line snapped and the jib totally unfurled in heavy winds. Not fun getting that baby back in.
Old 25-01-2018, 04:58   #15
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: which roller furler

I always hose my furling drums down really well with freshwater if I've had a wet sail.. as much pressure as a garden hose nozzle can give.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furler, roller furler