Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2019, 08:49   #76

Re: Which is best boat for ocean passages?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
So the Moody is a poor choice or a good one?
GOOD very
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2019, 01:15   #77

Boat: Just sold my Westerly Ocean 43

I went round the world including 2 years in the Caribbean then up to Washington DC before heading for Panama and on... All in an Angus Primrose CC Moody 36.

Brilliant boat. Had some weather had some light winds and followed the trades and she behaved excellently... Very comfortable to live in as well

When I finished I sold her to a couple also heading off and a couple of boats later got a Westerly Ocean 43 also CC and sailed her from UK to the Med day after purchasing her. We did some longish passages in her and like the Moody she was excellent for a couple to handle but I wouldn't have wanted anything larger.
Seadevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 10:17   #78

Boat: Frers & Cibils, F&C 44 -ARIA II

The F&C 44 Ocean Cruising Ketch formerly owned by Roy Disney is listed on Yachtworld and is located on the west coast. These Frers designed boats were extremely well thought out and built to very high standards. They have proven to be excellent passage makers. This boat is certainly worth checking out.

Good Luck.
Dace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 13:51   #79

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dace View Post
The F&C 44 Ocean Cruising Ketch formerly owned by Roy Disney is listed on Yachtworld and is located on the west coast. These Frers designed boats were extremely well thought out and built to very high standards. They have proven to be excellent passage makers. This boat is certainly worth checking out.

Good Luck.
I had one of these for nearly 10 years. Was a great boat. They have chainplate problems though and the laid decks need care. Disney's boat should have had good maintenance though.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 06:43   #80

The Tayana. Nothing else on your list comes close.
marcus02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 07:08   #81

ditto on don't get the Hunter. I know some folks that lost their rudder off the coast of Mexico in a storm and barely made it out of there with some help from another boat that finally got a line to them and stopped the boat from spinning and towed them into a harbor.
kurtis king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 07:18   #82

Boat: Catalina 350

Of the boats you listed I like the Tanaya. I agree with all the above, you need to make sure the boat is blue water ready. Unless you buy a fairly new boat I don’t think you should go till next year. If you’re stuck on June, you should be mechanically inclined. Do the boats have a wind vane autopilot? If not you’ll need one. Solar? And the list goes on. Fair winds and following seas👍🏻
rick bertram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 07:39   #83
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Which is best boat for ocean passages?

Some of these posts make me wonder how I managed so many miles on so many boats with just a TP or WP.. or without a watermaker and so many other things.
Where there is a will there is always a way.. its not like he's planning on doing the 5 Capes.. just a potter around the S Pacific..
Seen more cruisers with broken non funtioning wind steering than ones actually in use.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 07:59   #84

Having no experience with any of those listed, there IS one I have sailed 5,000-7,000 miles with, in the Med, Atlantic, Caribbean, and Pacific. A superb sea boat, comfortable, sailed with two. Now for sale in San Francisco, and I know the owners (I am not one of them, have no financial interest in the boat): <http://rubiconyachts.com/yachts-for-sale/details/6614469/>. You could not go wrong with it.
A CheeseHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 08:46   #85

Boat: Beneteau 423, 43’

If I were the OP I’d be so frustrated with this thread. Mostly comments by people who can’t follow one simple direction, “tell me which of these NOT to buy.” And, “if you have not done this kind of sailing, don’t participate in the conversation.”

I’ve mostly read here suggestions of what TO buy, which isn’t the OP’S question. I saw one reasonable response as to why not a Hunter, but it would be true for any swept back spreader rig going down wind. And the preference for a back stay. I also saw the case for full vs fin keel. 6 pages of posts and only a handful actually responding to the OP’s question. Is this the best we can do?

Taking advice from people who can’t follow simple instructions may have its own inherent risks. As I don’t meet the qualifications, I’m not offering a response to the question. I do hope you’ll share your decision and let us know how the voyage pans out. Enjoy!

Cheers!
Fbfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 08:49   #86

Well, there have been some pretty perceptive comments here. As to which vessel: all of course could sail across an ocean, The only option I'd be careful about would be the Hunter as like the Catalina, those yachts are reputed to be more suited to coastal cruising.

As to the Beneteau, I have circumnavigated in a 440 Oceanis. It is built like a tank which is perhaps why it is among the most successful bareboat charter vessels. As one responder pointed out, on-board gear is important so presuming we are talking second hand, choose one which has already done extensive off-shore stuff as it is likely to have most of the necessary gear already fitted.

Not sure about June if you are heading direct to the South Pacific. Better review North East Pacific weather patterns as June is the beginning of hurricane season from about 30 N Lat to about 10 N lat. Needless to say, planning a passage during hurricane, cyclone or typhoon season is a no no. Also, try to choose a good time and routing to pass through the ITCZ. Suggest you check out Jimmy Cornell's World Cruising Routes. Good luck!
argonauta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 09:08   #87

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbfisher View Post
If I were the OP I’d be so frustrated with this thread. Mostly comments by people who can’t follow one simple direction, “tell me which of these NOT to buy.” And, “if you have not done this kind of sailing, don’t participate in the conversation.”

I’ve mostly read here suggestions of what TO buy, which isn’t the OP’S question. I saw one reasonable response as to why not a Hunter, but it would be true for any swept back spreader rig going down wind. And the preference for a back stay. I also saw the case for full vs fin keel. 6 pages of posts and only a handful actually responding to the OP’s question. Is this the best we can do?

Taking advice from people who can’t follow simple instructions may have its own inherent risks. As I don’t meet the qualifications, I’m not offering a response to the question. I do hope you’ll share your decision and let us know how the voyage pans out. Enjoy!

Cheers!
Well to be fair to the crowd, the title and the directions don’t quite gybe.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 11:47   #88

Not sure if it's been mentioned prior but perhaps a good shortcut wold be to find a boat just in from long passages for sale. It would seem that it would be well kitted to passage making with perhaps just a few items to fix/update.
houseofcharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 13:57   #89

Sage words of wisdom: The plural of anecdotal is not statistic. All production boats from the 1980s forward are similarly constructed. Anecdotal evidence of cruisers in high-end boats who lost rudders during a crossing are quite easily found on YouTube. In practice, the conditions found in coastal cruising present much greater risk to vessel and crew than an ocean passage. In fact, inshore conditions are often more treacherous than offshore. Coincidentally, the sailing grounds in the Bahamas and most of the Caribbean are heaps more tricky than what is found at sea. The captain, the captain's preparation and choice of weather window are key to making a successful crossing. Buying a 40-year-old tank that is uncomfortable, yet deemed "bluewater capable" is no replacement for experience, planning and comfort. Buy the boat that is structurally sound, fits your sailing profile and provides for the needs of captain and crew. I didn't listen to couch brigade when I purchased our Hunter Legend 40. Three hurricanes later, she continues to serve us well as fulltime liveaboards. Charts, navigation equip, radio, epirb, liferaft, drogue, solar/generator, watermaker, working galley with refrigeration, foul weather gear, good ground tackle and sails in good condition, not to mention a boat that has a favorable survey and a competent skipper can go anywhere in the world, regardless of brand.
dalbright1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 14:08   #90

Boat: Moody 34 "Rendl"

I’ve owned a 1985 Moody 34 from new. I sailed her back from the UK to Annapolis Maryland and she performed flawlessly. We had two knock downs from which she recovered immediately. I’ve also made 5 trips to the Exumas in her. She’s fast stable and roomy. The 42 of that era is a much larger boat and maybe more difficult to handle but the Moody, Bill Dixon designed boat of the 80s are quite seaworthy
BrandyIsland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, passage