Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2019, 09:25   #16
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Which is best boat for ocean passages?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kelly View Post
I'm afraid I would be inclined to disagree with the above. There's a bit more to a boat than a hull. The term 'decent condition' needs defining in a bit more detail. 'Decent condition' needs to include:

Rigging
Fresh water systems
Electrical systems
Engine and mechanical systems
Seacocks
Sails
Electronics - unless you plan using a sextant daily
Safety systems (liferaft, jackstays etc)
Steering and Autopilot/Self steering systems

and spares for all of the above.

If one of those above breaks or 'goes down' you could have some major headaches on your hands.

I'm mostly a coastal sailor with an annual English Channel crossing - 60 - 100 miles. Even that can have some unexpected moments. I wouldn't dream of going water sailing">Blue Water sailing without a thorough check and overhaul of all the above. You'll need a bit longer than 6 weeks to do all that.
Delivery skippers have to face these problems every job.. old boats and new..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 09:26   #17

Boat: Scout 30
Re: Which is best boat for ocean passages?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
The longer the keel the better the ride. Fin keels are faster, but for ocean passages a long keel is my choice.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 09:26   #18

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

Of all the boats you listed, my preference would be the Tayana 42. By a longshot.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 09:30   #19

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
A good one of course..
Angus Primrose design and built in the days they built em strong not thin.. and a Brit boat..
Decent tankage to boot.
That's what I thought! But the OP phrased it, "which of the following is NOT suitable." Thus my confusion.
BTW, I perused some stuff about the 42CC out of curiosity and post #2 in this link may be of use if the Moody is considered:
Moody 42 cc
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 09:39   #20

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

Heavy is good for passages. But I can't give you an unbiased opinion. I own a Tayana42CC.

BUT it depends on the particular boat and what the actual condition of it is.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 09:45   #21

Boat: NORDHAVN 47

The Nordhavn is the best. It’s ocean crossing proven
christine47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 09:53   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiCountryDon View Post
Opinions please on which of the following is NOT suitable from sailors who have actually completed such passages in the last 15 years. No need for sofa sailor opinions.
I was going to offer assistance on which sofa to bring while sailing, but as others have mentioned, I'm also concerned about your being able to safely and confidently depart on an ocean passage literally within days of closing. It's mid-April right now and you haven't found the boat you're looking for yet, then it needs to be fully surveyed and closed on. Some inevitable repairs made. Really rushing things.

Some good advice from Augi and others, about fitting out in ports as you sail south, and if you are still not ready then keep heading south. Certainly if you get to Panama and the boat's not ready, then delay your plans one year and spend time on the Atlantic side.

I made the mistake of running out of patience too, having been holed up in Seattle all winter, and almost joined the Graveyard of the Pacific because of it. And that was in a big, heavy 65ft.
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 09:57   #23
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Which is best boat for ocean passages?

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post

Some good advice from Augi and others, about fitting out in ports as you sail south, and if you are still not ready then keep heading south. Certainly if you get to Panama and the boat's not ready, then delay your plans one year and spend time on the Atlantic side.

That's what cruising the wider world is all about..
Refitting in exotic places..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 10:07   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
That's what cruising the wider world is all about..
Refitting in exotic places..
Sure but what are the costs of quality equipment in Mexico and C.Am? I outfitted a sport boat I had built here in Qatar, but the cost of equipment is so out of whack here that I brought everything back with me from a Christmas in America: equipment, electronics, even a floating key chain!
Old 17-04-2019, 10:15   #25

Boat: Nonsuch 30Ultra Grand Banks 36

If we can't find a boat and get it ready in time we will just simply head in another direction if required when ready.
We are a small group of older guys with time and money looking to do this while we can. We all have been sailing for years with a few having done extensive passages, like South Africa to LA multiple times. We understand the requirements of darn good rigging and safety gear. Our advantage is that we can focus on the project without interruption. If the timing isn't right or we can't find the correct vessel to re-fit, we wouldn't go. But-- right now we are looking for experienced advice.
Thank you all.
Don
MultiCountryDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 10:18   #26
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Good Morning all,
We will leave in June doing a LA > south>tahiti> and beyond cruise.
Opinions please on which of the following is NOT suitable from sailors who have actually completed such passages in the last 15 years.
No need for sofa sailor opinions.
Moody 42CC, Fredom42CC, Hunter Passage 42/45, Morgan 45, Beneteau 44CC, Brewer 44CC, Tayana 42CC.

I know it's a long list but we are looking at these over the next 2 weeks, hoping to select, survey, and buy immediately. What do we remove from our list ?
Thanks,
Don
While you have an unreasonable time frame, the ratios are below.

BOAT,SA/DISP,DISP/LWL,COMFORT,CAPSIZE RISK, V HULL
Beneteau 44cc, 21.47,163,26.0,1.96,8.47,sloop
Brewer 44cc, 205,175,22.3,2.08,7.98,sloop
Freedom 42cc, 15.17,174,29.1,1.86,8.42,sloop
Hunter Passage 42, 17.35,191,24.8,2.05,8.07,sloop
Moody 42cc, 14.57,256,32.3,1.84,7.9, ketch
Morgan 45, 17.19,222,30.0,1.8,8.08,sloop
Tayana 42cc, 15.36,362,43.7,1.63,7.70,cutter

Acceptable Ranges:
SA/DISP 15-17
DISP/LWL 280-330
COMFORT 25-50
CAPSIZE RISK <1.8

None of these boats meet all the acceptable ranges; the typical tradeoff scenario. However, the Tayana 42 has the best COMFORT ratio and best CAPSIZE RISK ratio but will take you a tad longer to get there...what's important? Numbers don't lie.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 10:22   #27

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

On sailing ships before engines, the skipper would "splice the mainbrace" by giving a tot of rum to each of the crew.
The "mainbrace" of the ship was its sailors and that still is true today.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 10:26   #28

Quote:
We are a small group of older guys with time and money looking to do this while we can. We all have been sailing for years with a few having done extensive passages, like South Africa to LA multiple times.
Hi Don, not being flippant here, but have you and the others considered switching to a powerboat? Earlier christine47 made a comment about a Nordy 47, and if you think about the energy levels, physical stamina, comfort requirements of older guys, coupled with what sounds like a solid budget to work from, then an ocean capable powerboat might be a good way to go. I would venture to say that there are many ready-to-cruise Nordies or KK's available on the market and you might actually be able to make that June/July departure date.
Old 17-04-2019, 10:39   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Good Morning all,
We will leave in June doing a LA > south>tahiti> and beyond cruise.
Opinions please on which of the following is NOT suitable from sailors who have actually completed such passages in the last 15 years. No need for sofa sailor opinions.
Its going to be your home for a long time. I suggest you choose one that suits your needs rather than someone else's. Things like are the berths big enough, are there proper sea berths? How are you going to protect the crew from long hours in the sun? Are the fuel and water tanks big enough?

In terms of your timetable have you had a look at the various ocean cruising routes publications or pilot charts so you are sailing in season?

https://cornellsailing.com/publicati...uising-routes/

Good luck.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 10:41   #30

Outfitting a boat to cross an ocean is really not that big of s deal but these days it’s turned into a big deal because of how many sailors want the boat set up. We first crossed the Pacific 35 years ago in a C&C 36 which is a light boat. No genset, no solar panels,no water maker, no gps, no radar, no SSB or sat phone..actually not much but a vhf, compass and sextant and a portable hi freq radio. It simply doesn’t take much to cross oceans. Now after 50,000 plus miles we have a nice Moody and many bells and whistles except the genset, don’t like them and we still cross oceans but I don’t need half the crap we have so I’m not going to give long lectures on why you need a bunch of stuff when you simply don’t. You might want it but you don’t need it. Stuff complicates your life and costs you lots of money to keep working. If you have the money and time go for it but don’t convince yourself or others that it’s all needed.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, passage