Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-08-2015, 04:21   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Which boat to enjoyably sail around the world

There are lots of bones to pick with the suggestions offered here, but one thing that really got my attention was the worry about draft.

For a typical circumnavigation, shallow draft is not much of a concern. Much over 8 or 8.5 feet will be a problem, but up to there it will be a minor consideration.

And keel design... the vast majority of boats that are actually making long mid latitude passages are fin keelers, some with spades, some with skeg rudders. Only conservative American yotties seem to worry about full keels in voyaging boats. The rest of the world is sailing in various forms of fin keel hulls. Most of them make it.

Cheers,

Jim

Old 01-08-2015, 05:17   #32
Bailing as fast as I can.

Boat: Swanson 42

Shopping in the U.S. will give you lots of choices of boats, many of which I have never even heard of. Those that I have heard of are often very good and I envy your choices. When we went looking in Australia I was suprised, and a little dismayed, at how quickly the list of options became very short indeed. Thankfully we found the Swanson 42 and it was love at first sight, though it took another two years to find one that was right for us. But that's just me rambling on, the real purpose of my post is this...

At first glance it seems you've left yourself plenty of time to find what you need, and you've got a good budget to boot. But then I started to think about it some more and realised you are in a bit of a pinch. Your budget is good, better than mine, but not enough to easily overcome the time factor. In other words, you probably can't buy something perfectly ready to go at that price, except with a bit of luck, so whatever you buy is going to need a bit of a shakedown, a bit of a head scratch and a bit of running around to get right.

I'm not offering anything particularly useful in terms of advice except to say that you should consider the time it will take to get this boat ready and balance the initial purchase price against your estimate of how time pressures will impact on your budget.

The work I have done on our boat so far would easily have cost $50k in Australia if I'd had to pay to have it done, but I have time on my side, which means I could do the work myself, so I am barely $10k out of pocket, and half of that was the sails.

Good luck with your search, I know you'll see some terrific boats, but don't forget to factor in the time.

Matt

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Old 01-08-2015, 09:06   #33

Boat: OPB = Crewing in 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Asking here is the worst approach to finding a boat for yourself. Everyone will share their own biased opinion.

In the subject you say "enjoyably", the problem with that, different people have different opinions on what is enjoyable. Some people find enjoyment in a slow old small boat whilst others can only enjoy it in a roomy condo cat.

Personally, I think the best thing is st stay away from this thread and go to local marinas and look at online boat sites and see what takes your fancy. Then do some research on the interesting boats and then ask here or even better find an owners forum.

Good luck
There is wisdom in those words.
Ahoy All Sailors! Need experienced crew for a passage or delivery in Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, Med, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean anytime in 2017? I am available on 24hr notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Steady Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:10   #34

Boat: OPB = Crewing in 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
There are lots of bones to pick with the suggestions offered here, but one thing that really got my attention was the worry about draft.

For a typical circumnavigation, shallow draft is not much of a concern. Much over 8 or 8.5 feet will be a problem, but up to there it will be a minor consideration.

And keel design... the vast majority of boats that are actually making long mid latitude passages are fin keelers, some with spades, some with skeg rudders. Only conservative American yotties seem to worry about full keels in voyaging boats. The rest of the world is sailing in various forms of fin keel hulls. Most of them make it.

Cheers,

Jim
Jim,

I always appreciate your comments for their balance, and wisdom. And, I doubly appreciate them because of your own experience cruising.

And your statement about draft helps me too, as I have been concerned about boats with 7 foot draft in the past. Because of your experience and advice, I am looking beyond that, or I am more "comfortable" with the idea of getting a boat with 6-7 foot draft.

But...

Just today I was looking at a "dream boat" for me. Lovely. Got my heart pumping and my mind dreaming. I could imagine cruising the world on it.

One BIG problem?

Draft is 11 feet!
Ahoy All Sailors! Need experienced crew for a passage or delivery in Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, Med, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean anytime in 2017? I am available on 24hr notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Steady Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 11:32   #35

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Asking here is the worst approach to finding a boat for yourself. Everyone will share their own biased opinion.

In the subject you say "enjoyably", the problem with that, different people have different opinions on what is enjoyable. Some people find enjoyment in a slow old small boat whilst others can only enjoy it in a roomy condo cat.

Personally, I think the best thing is st stay away from this thread and go to local marinas and look at online boat sites and see what takes your fancy. Then do some research on the interesting boats and then ask here or even better find an owners forum.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 01-08-2015, 12:12   #36

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

I cannot argue about the lack of reliable specific advice to be found here, but watch out for the general as well.

The following sounds good, but is it?

"Personally, I think the best thing is stay away from this thread and go to local marinas and look at online boat sites and see what takes your fancy."

Why is the local marina going to yield better or less biased information than this forum? I for one, have no clue, and suspect that it is far less likely to do so than the forum. That said, visits to marinas will not do harm and may benefit if you keep in mind that every boat can be a gem in the owner's eye, particularly if it is for sale, but flaws are less discussed even under the best of circumstances, and few have been tested as cruisers. Cruising is definitely not racing, and the criteria are almost always very different.

Combine research with your needs and ideas. BTW, the post about allowing time was very well taken.
Old 01-08-2015, 13:14   #37

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
I cannot argue about the lack of reliable specific advice to be found here, but watch out for the general as well.

The following sounds good, but is it?

"Personally, I think the best thing is stay away from this thread and go to local marinas and look at online boat sites and see what takes your fancy."

Why is the local marina going to yield better or less biased information than this forum? I for one, have no clue, and suspect that it is far less likely to do so than the forum. That said, visits to marinas will not do harm and may benefit if you keep in mind that every boat can be a gem in the owner's eye, particularly if it is for sale, but flaws are less discussed even under the best of circumstances, and few have been tested as cruisers. Cruising is definitely not racing, and the criteria are almost always very different.

Combine research with your needs and ideas. BTW, the post about allowing time was very well taken.
When I say visit a marina, I don't mean to talk to owners, I mean to look around and see if there is any boats that make you feel

At the end of the day everyone should probably feel about their boat and preferably because of at first site....

Of course after researching, maybe the boat that first made you was not suitable, forget it and move on...

In a way choosing a boat is like finding a partner, you go to bars (marinas) and look on dating sites (brokerage sites) looking for "the one". You find someone you like and perhaps talk online or meet for a coffee (research /inspection) and then maybe you decide she's not for you and continue shopping.

Asking here for suggestions is like letting a friend set you up on a blind date with his fat and ugly cousin.
Old 01-08-2015, 13:31   #38

Boat: Morgan, Out Island 36, Ketch

Hi again Everyone as the SEARCH GOES ON, I like the idea of walking the docks to see what you like from the outside. However, a lot of marinas do not allow that, as they have gates to each section (which in my case we have 12 sections and gates, that lock automatically when the gate closes). Another item not covered in this discussion is headroom, which in my case, I needed 6' 2" + to keep from cracking my head every time I turned around (did enough of that in the Navy) and do not trust a salesman as most do not know what each boat has for headroom, and can not take the time to check, before they take you down too look at a boat. As for Draft on my Morgan 36 OI it runs between 3'9" and 4'0" depending on loading which allows for operating in very shallow water, and if you do run the keel aground it has a wide foot print so do little or no damage and may even stay standing up. This holds true through out the Morgan line . Think on this, and Good Hunting
Old 01-08-2015, 15:17   #39

My Good Old Boat just arrived via email, and it occurred to me that their publication of collected reviews of 31-36 footers might be a good start toward collecting ideas. Here is the url: [url][COLOR="blue"]https://www.audioseastories.com/archive-extraction-download/new-review-boats-31-to-36-footers.html Even if you are thinking larger, the information may be of considerable value. Good hunting for your sea home.
Old 01-08-2015, 20:29   #40

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Folks with true blue boats arrive at remote locales and find a 41 O/I anchored there.

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Old 01-08-2015, 20:47   #41

Boat: Hurley Alacrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
OK...here you go:

Listings at Harris & Ellis Yachts

So what do you think? It looks perfect right?

I would add a stern arch with davits and solar panels. But this boat is so much under budget, it shouldn't be a problem.
Wow you sure found a good one! $60.500 USD asking price too.

Do you work as a stock broker or a bookmaker, as you can sure pick them!
Old 01-08-2015, 21:24   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Erict3 View Post
Folks with true blue boats arrive at remote locales and find a 41 O/I anchored there.

Yep, and there are Beneteaus, Catalinas, x-bosts, Spray replicas, open 50's, Tahiti ketches, and every other sort of boat imaginable.

What's your point?

Jim
Old 01-08-2015, 22:34   #43

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch

IMO it's not so much which type or brand of a boat you get. What makes the difference everything essential works perfectly. It takes only one thing like jamming cars on the main or troubeling fuel lines to the engine to turn your dream into a nightmare. Thou, everything can break down but having belt and suspenders approach saves the day..
Old 01-08-2015, 22:43   #44

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Yep, and there are Beneteaus, Catalinas, x-bosts, Spray replicas, open 50's, Tahiti ketches, and every other sort of boat imaginable.

What's your point?

Jim

That folks sail what they are comfortable in all over the world. Even a Tupperware tub.

Old 02-08-2015, 00:37   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
My Good Old Boat just arrived via email, and it occurred to me that their publication of collected reviews of 31-36 footers might be a good start toward collecting ideas. Here is the url: [url][COLOR="blue"]https://www.audioseastories.com/archive-extraction-download/new-review-boats-31-to-36-footers.html Even if you are thinking larger, the information may be of considerable value. Good hunting for your sea home.
Just to amend a bit. It was GOB newsletter, not GOB magazine.

Tags
round the world, sail

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: