Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2015, 09:41   #16

Boat: Liberty 458
Re: Which boat to enjoyably sail around the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmic View Post
Hi

my name is Michael, I am 43 years old. My wifes name is Manuela and she is... younger than I am

We are planning to sail around the world starting end of 2016 and allowing us 2 years time to enjoy.I have been sailing for 30 years, but have never taken a long time off from work.

I would like to pick your brains about which boat we could use and for that I have prepared our boarder lines.

- Budget ~ US$ 90,000 for the completely outfitted boat
- LWL over 30 ft
- Berths for 4 max needed (us and maybe 2 friends for short visits)
- Route will be mainly in cool to warm waters
- Large fuel capacity (could be retrofitted if necessary)
- Start of tour is in Texas, USA

I know that opinions drift apart when it gets to Keel design for example, please throw all your experience and ideas out there for grabs.

Thanks, looking forward to your inputs

Michael
It could easily take 2 - 3 years to get an older boat cruise ready. It sounds like you want to complete a circumnavigation in 2 years. This leaves little time for maintenance while underway.

Assuming you need to limit your purchase price to 40k max to allow 50k for repairs, enhancements and upgrades. Your budgut also assumes you'll be doing a lot of the work yourself.

You'll also need to find a vessel in good condition. This can take time.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 10:03   #17

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

OK...here you go:

Listings at Harris & Ellis Yachts

So what do you think? It looks perfect right?

I would add a stern arch with davits and solar panels. But this boat is so much under budget, it shouldn't be a problem.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 10:11   #18

Steady Hand has an unusually deft touch at helping people find answers to their questions. He is truly remarkable, friendly and provides useful information to help folks answer this age-old question of : What's the BEST boat?

Wish I had that patience. I'm just gonna keep with the company line that if folks have to keep asking this question, the answer is simple: There simply AIN'T a BEST boat. :biggrin ::banghead :

Just kiddin' :smit ten:

Thanks again, sh.

PS - don't buy a oat with a CQR anchor!!! Or if you do, deep six the CQR and get a real anchor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Howdy Michael & Manuela! Welcome Aboard CF!

I see this is your first post here. And you have started with a good introduction to what you want.

I think your budget is adequate to get a nice used cruising boat, and is enough for you to do some updating of the boat as needed.

Given your budget, I would look for boats listed (asking price) at $40K or less. I have seen many nice boats at that price level (or below). With the rest of the budget, I would look to make necessary updates, but still keep about $10K in reserve too, for unexpected repairs etc.

I have a few suggestions to help newcomers to the forum, and my #1 suggestion is something I use almost every day to help me find answers to my questions.

Looking for Quick Answers?

This is the best and fastest method I have found to the answers I seek here.
Since you are relatively new to the forum, here is my favorite friendly forum search tip: Look at the green menu bar on the forum pages for the drop down "Search" menu. Click on that to drop down a list of search functions. From that drop down menu select the GOOGLE CUSTOM search feature (the second box down) and then enter several different descriptive terms for your topic of interest. That will do a Custom google search of ONLY this site and it is likely to find answers to your questions or results for you. Note: this is different from using the regular forum search box or field. Also note, this is NOT found if you use the CF app. It IS found if you use a web browser such as Safari, etc.

Here is a quick Google Custom Search of this forum (only) with the key words "which boat." If you will take a look at those threads I believe you will find hundreds if not thousands of comments from a wide range of members, all focused on "which boat."

which boat - Google Search

I hope you find this helpful, in addition to the answers you get in this thread here.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 11:43   #19

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

JMHO.

I'd go with a full keel, skeg for rudder pintail. Wouldn't beat any records for speed. I am not sure your budget is adequate ? Best of luck. Another contributor suggested an Out Islander. It may be your best bet.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 12:14   #20

Boat: Scout 30

Here's some interesting boats for sale that I think indicate that your budget is adequate.

1978 Valiant RARE CENTERBOARD Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

1978 Crealock Aft Cockpit Yawl Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

1982 Tayana MK 2 Cutter Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

1983 Union 36 Cutter Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 13:35   #21

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

First, as a broad statement, I disagree with several of the suggestions and reasons. I definitely agree with the person who mentioned strength.

I strongly suggest some reading (Vigor, Kretchmer, and others) always keeping in mind your own comfort levels and general itinerary. With two as the typical crew sometimes you or your spouse may be single handing because the other is getting some required sleep.

Within your budget, initial and on-going, consider what equipment you want and what you must have, as well as maintenance and repair of the "wants" in particular. Do not lose sight of the fact that larger vessels cost more in almost any aspect, initially, to maintain, to repair, and to use (docking fees, as an example, are usually by overall length.

I, contrary to some of the experts, do not look for speed, but like a stable and generally dry (think, in part capsize and comfort measurements) boat that can take a lickin and keep on tickin, to steal a phrase. Truly, you need to read, read, read, not just forums such as this or books, but reviews, and do a Google (and other) search on each vessel you consider. Do not forget to ask, ask, ask, just as you are doing now.

Lastly, as has been said, get out there and do it. Enjoy!
buzzstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 14:04   #22

IMHO cwyckham advice gets closest to the point:

Size is a balance: between space/accommodation; weight and cost of gear; bigger is better in big seas; smaller is easier lighter more fun and allows greater accessibility to small harbours

Built in long straight keel (or even some version of bilge keel so you can take the ground) versus speed and manouevreability of a fin and skeg

Just make sure it's watertight - and I do mean absolutely watertight (a wet boat is a misery)

Then think rig - Bermudian cutter seems ideal or junk if you are radical

Then think self steering - my Pacific Windpilot is called Peter and he is my best mate, closely followed by my bean bag!

Then get a GEPIRB, a decent ISO life raft,

And lots of experience - read, read, read and then go to sea with good and bad skippers

And then enjoy it: don't postpone going; you'll never be ready!! Just do your best, prepare wisely, and start sailing, and then fix the problems, and sail some more, and fix some more problems, but make sure your dream becomes reality.

The best boat is the one you've already got!

Just know it like the back of your hand, and spend at least as much effort in preparation on yourself as you will on your boat. You will always be the weaker part of that partnership
AuroraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 14:54   #23

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraJayne View Post
... and spend at least as much effort in preparation on yourself as you will on your boat. You will always be the weaker part of that partnership
Now that is a fantastic quote!
Old 31-07-2015, 18:21   #24

Boat: Westsail 28

Sundowner Sails Again | No Longer Lubbers
markwesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 18:32   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 18:34   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetheleo View Post
The 37 Crealock is also cool-just remove the Mizzen!
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 19:04   #27

Boat: Scout 30

Here's a weird coincidence: the Valiant 40, Tayana 37 & Union 36 (Hans Christian 36) were all designed by Bob Perry. All well regarded blue water designs. Maybe it's not a coincidence.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 20:29   #28

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

I am going to say it again, just in case sufficient was lacking: Read carefully and study what you plan to do. Just as an example, the most recent recommendation included a centerboard vessel and the blurb itself mentions the Bahamas. Neither the Bahamas nor the Caribbean are the world. Far from it. If you head north, expect to encounter some challenging weather and waves. Ditto south and around or through the canal an west, with distances added. Plan, but be sure to cast off. Many do not, although the Bahamas and the Caribbean are not bad places to stall.
buzzstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 21:34   #29

Boat: 38 Down Easter

Check out the 38 Downeaster. Very solid boat, roomy, and very doable on your budget.
Becky
atraitees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 03:08   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmic View Post
Hi

my name is Michael, I am 43 years old. My wifes name is Manuela and she is... younger than I am

We are planning to sail around the world starting end of 2016 and allowing us 2 years time to enjoy.I have been sailing for 30 years, but have never taken a long time off from work.

I would like to pick your brains about which boat we could use and for that I have prepared our boarder lines.

- Budget ~ US$ 90,000 for the completely outfitted boat
- LWL over 30 ft
- Berths for 4 max needed (us and maybe 2 friends for short visits)
- Route will be mainly in cool to warm waters
- Large fuel capacity (could be retrofitted if necessary)
- Start of tour is in Texas, USA

I know that opinions drift apart when it gets to Keel design for example, please throw all your experience and ideas out there for grabs.

Thanks, looking forward to your inputs

Michael
Asking here is the worst approach to finding a boat for yourself. Everyone will share their own biased opinion.

In the subject you say "enjoyably", the problem with that, different people have different opinions on what is enjoyable. Some people find enjoyment in a slow old small boat whilst others can only enjoy it in a roomy condo cat.

Personally, I think the best thing is st stay away from this thread and go to local marinas and look at online boat sites and see what takes your fancy. Then do some research on the interesting boats and then ask here or even better find an owners forum.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
round the world, sail