Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2013, 11:57   #1

Which boat?

I am planning on buying a sailboat next year. I've owned: a DownEast 32, a Choy Lee 53' motor sailer and a 55' Lagoon catamaran. I've narrowed the search down to the following: Gozzard 36, Cabo Rico 38 and Shannon 39. I plan to cruise extensively in the Carribean, and once I feel comfortable with the boat, over to the Med. most of the crossings will be solo. I'd appreciate any input as to the pros and cons of the 3 boats. I have a budget of 150K OTD.
Charisma1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 12:43   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Which boat?

If somebody offered me all 3, in excellent condition, for free, I'd take the Shannon, mostly because of underbody design, hull shape, and the interior looks really easy to live with in a seaway. Also, somewhat less above decks varnish work to maintain.
Old 15-12-2013, 13:48   #3

Thanks, not many of those around though.
Old 15-12-2013, 13:59   #4

Boat: Island Packet 27
Just to let you know, there is a Shannon 38' Ketch for sale by Saint Augustine Yacht Sales at the Conch House in Saint Augustine, Florida. It is listed at $49,000. I've walked around it and seems like a nice boat for the money. It's the fixed keel version. They are awesome boats. I've sailed on Beth Leonard's old boat, the "Silk" which has circumnavigated twice. It was a 37' Shannon with the swing keel. With a budget like yours, you could maybe pick this boat up for $43,000, invest $20,000 into it, and have an awesome boat. Let me know if you have any questions.
Captaintim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 14:54   #5

Thanks for the response, I kind of have my mind set on a cutter. The ketch has one too many sticks and all the associated standing and running rigging. Sailing solo that makes a difference, although I admit I'm not that experienced so maybe I should consider a ketch. I'm going to be driving by St. Augustine over the holidays, maybe I should stop by and take a look.
Old 15-12-2013, 15:33   #6

Boat: Island Packet 27
I understand your thinking. I wanted a cutter as well but I also have a smaller boat. I do know that a ketch has more sail options and breaks down the sails into a more manageable size especially when you are sailing solo on a 38 footer. It is a cutter rigged ketch by the way. Yes if you are passing through may as well stop by the Conch House and have a look. It's always good to get on as many boats as you can as in sure you know.
Captaintim1 is offline   Reply With Quote