Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 31-08-2005, 02:20   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Learning sailing is best done where you can. I started in MN in the summer on a small lake, took a week long class liveabord class in San Diego and now live on the Chesapeake Bay with our own boat. None of them are similar but sailing is about differences. You can learn anywhwere but it eventaully comes down to where you are.

You need to be someplace for any number of reasons. I like the Chesapeake because I live here now. I might be able to list places I would rather be, but I can't be there just now. Don't come here in August! Right about now will start a nice fall season.

Fall and late spring are really nice here. Nothing is perfect. You sail where you can. Being on the water is better than not being on the water. If you found a good oppertunity to get out on the water where you live, I would say that is the best place you can be.

The week live aboard ASA course my wife and I did in San Diego was a _great_ time. It actually was cheaper than staying in a downtown hotel doing nothing and we got to sail every day. That said being on our own boat for a weekend here is better. It's about sailing where and when you can - not what place you go to.

Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2005, 22:30   #17

Paul,

Thanks for your thoughts. Just to clarify, I'm not trying to limit my sailing experiences to just where I someday hope/plan to sail. What I was specifically targeting is the ability to earn additional certifications in a liveaboard setting that would reflect the true spirit of what the certification intends to provide knowledge toward either in size of boat, tougher conditions, or just more in-depth sailing capability.
My thinking - and again this is from a complete novice's point of view - is that a lake here in North Texas cannot really duplicate the conditions. A couple of the local schools recognize their limitations in this regard, others don't. Those that do recognize their limits offer the certifications by requiring travel to the TX coast on the Gulf.
So, rather than tunnel-vision myself to a liveaboard experience from Houston, I posted this question to get viewpoints for all coastal areas.

Old 01-09-2005, 07:15   #18

Boat: Caprice 19'
I just realise how fortunate we are in Britain - maximum possible distance we can be from the sea is 72 miles, in my case the distance is -100 yards
Old 01-09-2005, 09:24   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Steel Roberts Offshore 44
Another way...

There is another way to learn to sail.
Most of us who grew up along the coast in the days before sailing schools did it that way.
I'm referring to the Deep End Sailing School.
I'd be interested to learn just how many members of this Forum learned to sail that way.
The initial costs are cheap and can be done anywhere. Hang round the waterfront, watch boats, surf the net, buy books, talk to people.
The big one is the next step. Buy the boat, but don't plan on going anywhere for quite a while.
Old 01-09-2005, 21:36   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
I grew up on the Great Lakes. I played on small boats easy to tip over and not get hurt, had a lot of fun and enjoyed the water on other peoples boats big and small. I went through the first three ASA courses, joined a sail club for a year, then jumped off the deep end. All that I had done prepared me for the jump and I don't regret it but it really isn't close to all there is nor the only route.

The one thing it did that would have been impossible without - it convinced my wife she really liked to sail and could really do it. For that alone it was worth many times over what it cost. She now likes to sail and activly participates. It proves to me you need to like it and want it to do it. You need confidence! You can get it by working or just being a darn fool. In the end it's about liking it.

Sail boats really are very complex for all the beauty and simplicity to them but there is a whole lot to learn and in the end know well. You think about 5 things at one time and need to be aware of a 100 more plus enjoy yourself while doing it. There is still another dimension when you step aboard the first time on your own boat without any one that knows more than you do.

Chris, I think maybe the better qustion is how many people do you know that had a few bad experiences sailing and vowed to never go again? I think not being prepared may have been part of the problem. Preparation isn't a negative thing. I think you get it where you can and as much as you can. Not everyone changes the way they think all that fast.

Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classes

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: