Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 03:15   #31

Boat: Etap 37 S
Re: where would you sail if you had a year to sail, no more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbourbaki View Post
Essentially I would love to do the SP, but unsure if 1 year June to August (14mths) would work, !
It could work just fine. If you start from somewhere like Brisbane.

Brisbane -> New Cal -> Vanuatu -> Louisades (PNG) -> Cairns.
Gives you a month in each, including the crossings (allow a week or so each).
Would be better to start in May, but June isn't too bad.
Then down the Australian east coast. Sydney by November. Either Norfolk / Lord Howe / NZ if you are feeling brave, or just keep going down the coast and across Bass strait via the prom, Deal island and Fliinders etc.
Jan and Feb around Tas, pick a good weather window and up the west coast and throught the strait.
April up to Sydney again, then you've got 4 months left to head off into the South Pacific again, or just laze around the whitsundays

You'll be a pretty competant sailor by the time you've finished though...

Mike
MLOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:32   #32
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: where would you sail if you had a year to sail, no more?

Don't bank on the 'Cat' solving the seasick problem... have known a couple of 'seasoned' mono sailors honk all over the place with the different motion and hobby horsing...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:03   #33

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor
Re: Where Would you Sail if you had a Year to Sail, no More?

I guess maybe the lack of kid boats in the Caribbean you experienced was due to where you were. I know of several kid boats who are there (well, dodging hurricanes right now but plans to head back) and several who are heading there in the fall.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 00:32   #34

+2 US > AUS I think it went something like ...

Got out of town on a boat goin' to Southern islands.
Sailing a reach before a followin' sea.

She was makin' for the trades on the outside,
And the downhill run to Papeete.

Off the wind on this heading lie the Marquesas.
We got eighty feet of'a waterline.
Nicely making way.

Plus you'll sell for a nice profit on your flip in AUS. Temporarily yours, the best boat you can possibly afford.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:17   #35

I'm very interested in the idea of selling the boat in oz or nz. At the moment I am leaning towards a catamaran but are there any particular boats or types that would make the most sense (cents) to try to resell there?
nbourbaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:57   #36

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
I'm very interested in the idea of selling the boat in oz or nz. At the moment I am leaning towards a catamaran but are there any particular boats or types that would make the most sense (cents) to try to resell there?
It has been a while since we visited but I can tell you back in 2006 NZ was a very bad place to sell a boat: I could see boats sitting in the marinas, labelled 'for sale', and never selling. Sure thing a pricing issue.

Conversely, a fiend of ours sold his Moorings cat in Oz. She was on the market for about 6 months and generated much interest. She sold as soon as he accepted the prices offered. Again, pricing issue, but at least she sold allright.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:04   #37
Armchair Bucketeer

If kids onboard I would suggest a trip with lots of land (aka things to do ashore, including beaches!), and that sounds like Caribbean in your locale. Never been but appears to be very diverse, from bone crushing poverty (and cheap) to expensive (and Touristy?! - IMO nothing wrong with that!, even if only now and again)....

.....especially if first major voyage (away from easy reach of home - that always teaches a few things when stuff needs fixing, even without different lingo and no recreational boat fixing or parts capability) and also if a newish to you first boat.......not to say that further afield can't be done (clearly many have as a first trip, and some probably in first week of seeing a boat ), but the approach I am suggesting is based around upping your odds of not only success but having fun!.........just because a destination is on the doorstep does not mean it should be overlooked, likely that wherever you are in the world someone has sailed half way around the world to get there, and many others have dreamed of doing so and never did - Caribbean would be one of those places for sure, especially for folks in Europe.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:06   #38

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

You did not say where you are launching from...

Are you locked into launching from a certain area or are you buying a boat somewhere in the world? Also do you and your family have the experience to cross an ocean?

At least above the Equator, If you launch in June, you will be at the start of hurricane season and tropical squalls. Some places are better than others, but overall get ready for some rain.

If I only had one year, I would cruise the Pacific Coast of Mexico and Sea of Cortez (Gulf of California).

The typical route would have you head south towards Acapulco during the winter months and into the Sea of Cortez for the summer months. This would basically keep you in warm water the entire year with the least amount of bad weather. We did this route from 2010-2012 and for the first year never saw rain.

Pacific Mexico is cheap to cruise, has friendly people and lots of other cruisers. It is fairly easy to get things repaired and there are lots of places to purchase boat parts. Pacific Mexico is normally easy sailing where you can either "rough it" on the hook or use the many marinas along the coast, a large number of them associated with resorts.

In the summer, most of the cruisers who haven't left to escape the heat sail into the Sea of Cortez, which in my opinion is one of the most beautiful places on earth. The Sea of Cortez is rugged, isolated and exceptionally beautiful. Jacques Cousteau call the Sea of Cortez the world's aquarium and it will amaze you.

Finally, from our experience, we saw more Kid Boats on the Pacific side of Mexico than we did in Central America or the Caribbean. Many couples doing 12 to 18 month cruising before returning to the real world.

The BEST cruising guide for the West Coast of Mexico are the two books written by Shaun Breeding and Heather Bansmer.

Here is the link to there page:
Sea of Cortez - A Cruiser's Guidebook

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 13:05   #39

Many thanks for those suggestions. The more I read about the Mexican pacific the more it appeals!!

For those with both cortez and Carib experience any strong preferences??

As for departure I am pretty flexible at this point although San Francisco or Florida would be most convenient for family reasons
Old 10-08-2013, 23:18   #40

Boat: 2008 Hunter 44DS

A year in western Mexico would be very nice. November to November - you would go down with the snow bird crowd and come back at one of the two times in the year that is reasonable for making the trip north.

Make sure you sail all the way to the bottom of the country before turning around and coming back, because the best of Mexico cruising (in our opinion) is far south.

The anchorages are not as pretty as the Caribbean, but the locals are infinitely nicer and the Mexican culture and historical colonial and ancient Mayan sites inland are very very rich.

I would recommend that you fly to the Caribbean and spend some time trekking overland and do the same in any other places you are considering sailing to before you spend the big bucks to outfit a boat and sail there.

Although it may seem expensive to you now, it is actually a very cheap way to find out if the areas you are considering are actually what you are looking for... go there, talk to the cruisers, hang out on the beaches, mingle with the locals... run around to the local stores looking for boat parts... that's the best way to preview your cruise...
settingsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 04:41   #41

Boat: Island Packet 35

a year may seem like a lot of time looking forward but in my limited sailing experience, 5 years, you probably will not get to cover the ground, or should say water, you would like to or originally planned. Plan your trip centered around your time with your family on the boat and not so much with distance in mind. If your sailing each day with the thought of we "have" to get here or there, at a particular time, may take what your trying to achieve out of your plans.
Oh, to the main part of your question, yes pick somewhere "WARM" I live on the east coast of Canada, 4 months tops for a sailing window!!
nicholson31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 05:16   #42
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

I'd suggest sailing from the Chesapeake down to the Caribbean (BVI) in November, cruise the islands down to Grenada and back to the USVI by the end of April. Head up to the Bahamas and spend May there. Then cruise the ICW and Chesapeake through mid-July. Head up to New England for the rest of the summer. Bring the boat back down the coast to Annapolis by mid-October. Sell it there.

This is a very doable 12 month schedule, and you will not feel overly rushed to get through it. Many, many boats take this route every year. Consider doing the Caribbean 1500 from Hampton, VA to the BVI, as you will meet lots of cruisers, including families with kids, who you will see time after time in the islands, and can choose to cruise in tandem with if you like, meet up for Holiday celebrations, etc.

The islands of the Lesser Antilles are a wonderful place to cruise. Most of the islands are within sight of each other, making for relatively easy, short passages between protected anchorages. Lots to do and see there, and lots of friendly fellow cruisers to meet. We saw quite a few boats with kids during our two years of cruising and six years of living there full time. The islands generally have all or most of the supplies and services you'll need, including health care.

Making long (weeks), and/or difficult (e.g. Mexico to US West Coast) passages with wife and kids may or may not work out satisfactorily for all. If you end up wanting to do that sort of thing (e.g. cruising to Mexico or to the south Pacific), you might want to take a test cruise to find out how it goes down. My wife went on a particularly rough passage with me to Bermuda and back to Virginia, and decided to fly to meet me in the islands after I sailed the boat down with three friends as crew.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:30   #43

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:
Hi all,

This is not a question of immediate significance, more as a way to organize my research and imagination, as my other thread is basically how should I learn to sail, but at some point soonish my family will be able to take a full year off, and we would like to sail for that year. We are looking for interesting, tropical style vacation/living, so basically the Caribbean or the south pacific.

Where would you go for easy, pleasant sailing of a year duration? This could either be a loop or one way.

Cheers,
Starting from where?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:46   #44

From the US. I can leave from CA, Fl or east coast

Cheers
Old 12-08-2013, 13:15   #45
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

+1 on Huds advice
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail