Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2014, 02:47   #1

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3
Where to anchor Lady Elliot Island

I am trying to get info on where you can anchor at Lady Elliot.Understand there are some moorings as well are these for public use if not are there limitations or no anchoring areas.
Chris
Mirage Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:24   #2

Re: Where to anchor Lady Elliot Island

I am not aware of any public moorings at Lady Elliot. Having made perhaps a dozen trips to the Bunker Group, I have not encountered any moorings other than those for commercial operations at Lady Musgrave. I believe your only option is to anchor on the leeward side of the fringing reef which I would not recommend for an over night stay. Generally this would be the NW side. In a typical SE condition, this will be a little lumpy. You would be best to anchor overnight at Lady Musgrave lagoon some 21NM to the NNW, which is an excellent anchorage, inside the large lagoon. Good sandy bottom at about 6-8m with excellent visibility wrt bommies etc. You can then take a day trip to Lady Elliot and return. I've been in there with 40kts over several days and its generally very comfortable. The only other bullet proof anchorage is at Fitzroy some 20NM further north. Again, been there in fierce storms with good protection. Obviously there are lots of places to anchor on the leeside of reefs, but you have to be prepared to ride out a wind change as there is no safe relocation after dark in a blow in those waters.
Lagoon 440 Hull #30
Brisbane, Australia.
2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:53   #3

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3
Re: Where to anchor Lady Elliot Island

Thanks 2Wind
Exactly the info/answers I was looking for.

The info on the moorings was from a guy I met at the pub who had a mate who's brother lived in Rocky that met a bloke from Nelsons Bay who's father fished the reefs nearby but his wife's uncle originally came from 1770 .....
Chris
Mirage Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor