Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2011, 22:42   #1

Where is the Ideal Community to Retire With Good Sailing Access

planning for retirement.,looking for a community/city where you can live comfortably and have easy access to marinas, etc., for sailing; prefer west coast. thanks
lee howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 23:19   #2

Re: where is the ideal community to retire to with good sailing access

San Diego is pretty nice; a bit expensive for some.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2011, 04:28   #3

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

We just moved from Newport Beach, Ca (verrrry expensive!!) to Oriental, NC to retire. Waterfront property here is some of the lowest cost in the country, with easy access to deep water.

But if you must live on the west coast, you can't beat San Diego. The marinas in Chula Vista are somewhat reasonable. Cruising destinations are limited- only a few in the San Diego area- Mission Bay and Gloria Bay.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2011, 05:29   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: where is the ideal community to retire to with good sailing access

Swansea Marina's rather pleasant.... near the beautiful Gower Peninsula...
good transport links and close to the capital Cardiff....
a lovely part of the world..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	800px-SwanseaMarina.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	35065  

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2011, 06:02   #5

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind

Anacortes, Washington
In the heart of the San Juan Islands, one day sail from Cape Flattery (ocean), Cruise to Canada and Alaska in the summer then head for Mexico - about a two week trip- if your heart desires- then over to Hawaii & back to Vancouver island, into the Straits of Juan de Fuca and home! (takes about a year)
Washington is far better choice than Calif - by far- but you need to own a raincoat! (at least you dont have to wear a gas mask)
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2011, 06:41   #6
Armchair Bucketeer

West coast is mainly one big bay and no marinas, but a couple down south (about 10 mins drive - that be termed "miles away"). For a "retirement community" then looking at around £350k for a 2 bed apartment - they be cheaper because over 60's only. Rental is around £14k pa.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2011, 08:23   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoduck View Post
Anacortes, Washington
In the heart of the San Juan Islands, one day sail from Cape Flattery (ocean), Cruise to Canada and Alaska in the summer then head for Mexico - about a two week trip- if your heart desires- then over to Hawaii & back to Vancouver island, into the Straits of Juan de Fuca and home! (takes about a year)
Washington is far better choice than Calif - by far- but you need to own a raincoat! (at least you dont have to wear a gas mask)
You might be the only person on the planet who thinks the Pacific Northwest is better for a sailor than California.
Old 23-12-2011, 09:42   #8

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
You might be the only person on the planet who thinks the Pacific Northwest is better for a sailor than California.
I have had my boat in both places and must say they each have their own advantages. PNW has much more extensive cruising grounds, better fishing, more wildlife, and a lot more anchorages.

San Diego has better weather. Much better weather. And its closer to even better weather -- Mexico. Swimming and surfing are better in SD.

That said I guess it depends on your cruising style. Lets say you want to daysail for extended trips. In SD you can go from SD to Dana Point or Newport and then to Catalina and a few islands. In the PNW if you start from Anacortes you have the choice of Orcas, San Juan, Lopez, Sucia and a number of other islands all within 25 nm. I love both places but I like the weather in SD much better. I also plan on bringing my boat up to SF Bay early next year.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2011, 09:49   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
I have had my boat in both places and must say they each have their own advantages. PNW has much more extensive cruising grounds, better fishing, more wildlife, and a lot more anchorages.

San Diego has better weather. Much better weather. And its closer to even better weather -- Mexico. Swimming and surfing are better in SD.

That said I guess it depends on your cruising style. Lets say you want to daysail for extended trips. In SD you can go from SD to Dana Point or Newport and then to Catalina and a few islands. In the PNW if you start from Anacortes you have the choice of Orcas, San Juan, Lopez, Sucia and a number of other islands all within 25 nm. I love both places but I like the weather in SD much better. I also plan on bringing my boat up to SF Bay early next year.
I'm not knocking the PNW at all; I lived up on San Juan for a bit bucking hay near Roche Harbor. But for living outdoors there's just no way to beat the fairly dry conditions of a Southern Californian (or as you mentioned, Northern Mexican) climate.

I had a friend who spent his winter in La Paz and he said he got three drops of rain on his deck the entire time. SO JEALOUS.
Old 23-12-2011, 09:53   #10

Boat: mt34dt

Welcome aboard! There are no bests as everyone has their opinion on what constitutes best. List your wants and needs and find a place that meets those goals, big world out there with plenty of places that should please. You mentioned west coast, hard to argue against San Diego, but I personally prefer the west coast of Florida. If you are retired and living on a your boat, then if you don't like it-----weigh anchor.
zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2011, 20:17   #11

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner

Live on the boat and go where ever your little heart desires.

dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2011, 20:25   #12

Isn't the entire state of Florida a retirement community?
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2011, 20:29   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Halifax, not West coast, butter.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2011, 10:11   #14

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind
pirate Re: where is the ideal community to retire to with good sailing access

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I started sailing in Calif 50 years ago. I spent 25 years fishing the entire coast from Mexico to Alaska. I've circumnavigated the Sea of Cortez twice. I spent 1 year in the Med, 2 years bumming around the Carribean. Went through the Canal, etc, etc. I dont think Ive missed much of anything California has to offer. I judge my opions on personal experience and preference. I havent been to the South Pacific yet - maybe next year. The only thing I miss about Calif, was the free anchorage in San Diego, which is history. I met my wife of 30 years on Catalina Island. Took her out sailing and that was that - so much for my trip to Tahiti.
Calif isnt so bad - that's where I was born - probably where my ashes will wind up but I live up here because I have more FUN than I ever did in California.
"What ever blows the wind up your skirt"
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2011, 10:53   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by dana-tenacity View Post
Live on the boat and go where ever your little heart desires.
I like this plan. We seasonally run the boat from Maine to the Keys or Bahamas and fly out for side trips. Since we retired ten years ago, we've owned nothing that is not on the boat and this broadens our scope and funds.

Tags
sailing