Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2015, 08:40   #31

Boat: C&C Landfall 38
Re: Where in the World is the Best Boat Market?

A Cat for 100k, 4 cabins 2 heads.............. probably wouldn't make it across the Pacific without 60-80k refit, to get to Thailand....... A Captain's Licence don't make a sailor, many have never been on a sailboat......... watch and buy something local
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 08:43   #32

Florida is a good bet. But a non sailing area could be good as there isn't much for buyers. Grandad dies and the family needs to get rid of the boat.
What you pay can be as low as 50% of asking price or near asking price. It depends on:
- how long the boat has been for sale,
-other boats of the type for sale or recently sold and how much. Even a trashed one can bring the price down on a clean one if you are smart.
-if the seller has come to terms with the fact that his boat isn't worth what he put into it !
- and finally, how popular a model it is. Odd ball one off types, or only a few built are less popular than common models from a company that is still in business.

Here's an example. About 3 years ago I was thinking of buying a popular model small sailboat with inboard diesel. The seller was moving away. His latest decrease in price was now down to $4000, I looked and decided to think about it. When I called a week later, he had given the boat away for free!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 08:44   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdiver View Post
A Cat for 100k, 4 cabins 2 heads.............. probably wouldn't make it across the Pacific without 60-80k refit, to get to Thailand....... A Captain's Licence don't make a sailor, many have never been on a sailboat......... watch and buy something local
it's hard to tell from online pictures/descriptions..

but we find ones that say "circumnav ready"
"turn key"

how much experience do you guys suggest until one can buy a liveaboard?
AdventureWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 08:46   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Florida is a good bet. But a non sailing area could be good as there isn't much for buyers. Grandad dies and the family needs to get rid of the boat.
What you pay can be as low as 50% of asking price or near asking price. It depends on:
-other boats of the type for sale or recently sold and how much. Even a trashed one can bring the price down on a clean one if you are smart.
-if the seller has come to terms with the fact that his boat isn't worth what he put into it !
yea for sure..
we read capt Fattys book "buy, outfit, sail"
good read for people trying to get aboard on a budget..

you think we can expect to knock 30-50% off listed price for the right internet listings?
Old 21-11-2015, 08:55   #35

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureWorld View Post

"turn key"

New Lagoon 380............ 4 cabin 2 heads 380k................. used 12-15 years old or so 100k, the difference is many systems and maybe the whole standing rig need replacement and both engines may be shot............ yeh, you can't tell that from the pictures............
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 09:16   #36

Quote:
New Lagoon 380............ 4 cabin 2 heads 380k................. used 12-15 years old or so 100k, the difference is many systems and maybe the whole standing rig need replacement and both engines may be shot............ yeh, you can't tell that from the pictures............
so heres one with 4 cabins 4 heads.. 120 hours on twin diesels (new 2011)
1993 Edel 43 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Thoughts?
Also curious what people think of petrol engines/single engines on cats?
Old 21-11-2015, 09:17   #37

Quote:
https://miami.craigslist.org/brw/boa/5252362680.html

Here's a mono we were looking at, maybe too small 41', 60k super decked out..
Old 21-11-2015, 09:31   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
- and finally, how popular a model it is. Odd ball one off types, or only a few built are less popular than common models from a company that is still in business.

Here's an example. About 3 years ago I was thinking of buying a popular model small sailboat with inboard diesel. The seller was moving away. His latest decrease in price was now down to $4000, I looked and decided to think about it. When I called a week later, he had given the boat away for free!

Hey i read your comment again and just wanted to thank you for the example and making some good points.. We won't be in any rush to buy so that helps..
Old 21-11-2015, 09:38   #39

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
>|<
you think we can expect to knock 30-50% off listed price for the right internet listings?
To buy a boat to live on: 0 experience.
To buy a boat to cross oceans with: slightly more

There's no "one size fits all" formula for listed prices.
One seller may just want to see if he can get close to the listed price and not sell if the answer is no.
Another seller may be desperate to sell as quickly as possible.
Most are somewhere in between.
Lizzy Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 10:16   #40

Boat: Oyster 55

Quote:
https://miami.craigslist.org/brw/boa/5252362680.html

Here's a mono we were looking at, maybe too small 41', 60k super decked out..
I looked at the listing and it does look like a well kept, well equipped boat for an attractive price. But keep in mind that it is 36 years old. If it had its standing rigging replaced 20 years ago as it should have, it's ready for that again. Maybe not necessary for Caribbean cruising, but you are talking about taking it half way around the world. That's a completely different story. Likewise for the engine, generator, watermaker, and other equipment. Don't buy it without a survey. And consider whether or not it is essential for you to sail in Thailand. Thailand is great, but so is the Caribbean, and it has many advantages and conveniences that Thailand doesn't.
Dr. Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 11:18   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
To buy a boat to live on: 0 experience.
To buy a boat to cross oceans with: slightly more

There's no "one size fits all" formula for listed prices.
One seller may just want to see if he can get close to the listed price and not sell if the answer is no.
Another seller may be desperate to sell as quickly as possible.
Most are somewhere in between.
makes sense, thanks.
Old 21-11-2015, 11:58   #42

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

The Great Lakes.

1) Fresh water means rust free boats.

2) Cdn dollar gives you a 30% discount on all boats (compared to US dollars).

3) This area was a hub for boat manufacturing in the 70's, so there are tons of well preserved examples here that have never seen salt water.

4) Winter means boats are only used 2 months of the year. Low hours on the diesels, little use of the sails, cushions, etc.

The Toronto area always seems to have bargains, especially the island yacht clubs (IYC, RCYC, Toronto Island Marina) which are relatively inaccessible to non members due to their location....just makes it very hard to sell a boat there. Also, east and west of toronto...whitby, port credit, humber bay, hamilton, 50 point...all big marinas with very competitive used boat sales.

The US side of Lake Erie (Cleveland) has a very depressed economy, and very cheap boats. Although the boats are near Cleveland, its an easy canal ride to the Hudson river, NYC and the whole east coast.

I've seen some fantastic deals on big boats lately, and seriously considering one for myself. Niagara 35 for $20k, Whitby 42 $20k, etc. I recently sold my Pearson 30 for peanuts, and it was loaded.

Check these bargains out:

YOU CAN LIVE ON THIS BOAT | sailboats | Hamilton | Kijiji

40ft 1971 Morgan Yawl | sailboats | Markham / York Region | Kijiji

Islander P40 40' Racer / Cruiser for Sale | sailboats | Oakville / Halton Region | Kijiji

Beautiful Ericson 35 | sailboats | City of Toronto | Kijiji

CHESAPEAKE 32 | sailboats | Hamilton | Kijiji

Steel Sailboat (Bruce Roberts - Bermuda Sloop) 36' | sailboats | Hamilton | Kijiji

And lastly, I viewed this boat locally...its super clean and ready to sail. IMHO, they would take much less than the asking price...a great boat for almost nothing: Make me an offer!!! Drastically reduced!Captain moving west! | sailboats | Kingston | Kijiji
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 12:13   #43

If you want to cruise Thailand, then buy a boat in that region. There are lots of boats for good prices in Phuket and in Langkawi, Malaysia. You could check this site Pre-loved Yachts For Sale & Yacht Charters in Langkawi Island - Malaysia I also know of a 40ft Catamaran for sale that might meet your requirements.
Malaysia is a good place to make your base as the boat can stay in Malaysia without time restrictions and you can get a 90 day visa on arrival. Thailand is difficult on both counts. Langkawi is a good base as it is duty free and has a good facility at the Royal Langkawi Yacht Club. More info if you are interested.
philgiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 12:51   #44

Boat: None at this time, still looking for my next great looper

Florida boats are much higher in price as a similar boat elsewhere.All the transplants want a boat when they move here. Texas, AL, LA, boats are better priced. good prices with great Lake boats, and most have had a freshwater short boating season, so lower hours of operation and kept in heated storage in winters.
KidSheeleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 12:55   #45
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:

"turn key"

When you read those sort of things in an advert, you need to remember "caveat emptor".

I've never seen a boat for sail that was "cirumnav ready". And "turn key" can just mean "the engine starts first time"

You don't need any experience to buy a liveaboard. In fact many people buy them with no experience.

But in that situation you need to do two things.

1. Get a thorough survey and
2. Spend a lot of time building your experience in small steps - starting with taking the boat out for an hour or so in light winds and slowly building up to longer sails and/or stronger winds as you get to know how to handle the boat.

Apparently simple things like dropping an anchor need practice, not just in actual techniques but also in reading the weather, sea conditions including tides, ground conditions and the surrounding land to determine a safe place to drop it.

Then there are things like pilotage, knowledge of Colregs, navigation etc, etc. which you need to know to be safe to yourself and others.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote