Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2015, 03:36   #16
Registered User
 
UNCIVILIZED's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Up the mast, looking for clean wind.
Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Posts: 5,629
Re: Where in the World is the Best Boat Market?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul J. Nolan View Post
Four cabins and two heads...on a coastal cruiser...to sail to Thailand?

Why does everyone think they can start at the top...without learning enough about the sport even to ask an intelligent question?

It is as if someone is inquiring about jetting off to Cannes or Gstaad without ever having taken a single flying lesson. It's beginning to try my patience.

Paul
AMEN Paul! You're not the only one!
__________________

__________________

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 06:23   #17
Registered User
 
Muckle Flugga's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Aboard the Ocean wave
Boat: 55' sloop.
Posts: 1,426
Re: Where in the World is the Best Boat Market?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureWorld View Post
i'm not sure what the cost is,, but long open passages don't sound too fun.. and our time is worth something..
Umm… and your name is AdventureWorld? Gosh.

Well… if you want to "cruise Thailand" (why only here?) then you should look to buy here (my current location). Or Malaysia. Plenty of people end up here and effectively "dump" their pretty well equipped craft in this area, often for fear of the Indian, or else because the "lifestyle" of the region gets them by the throat and bleeds them out. There are some excellent deals to be had, particularly considering that it is not the ideal place to sell and boats frequently hang for long periods. Anyhow, if cruising Thailand is all you are interested in… you can set your sights pretty low as to specs and quality, with perfect satisfaction.
__________________

__________________
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 06:58   #18
Moderator Emeritus
 
GordMay's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 31,573
Images: 240
Re: Where in the World is the Best Boat Market?

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, sailinginblue.
__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 08:30   #19
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 5
Re: Where in the World is the Best Boat Market?

Loosen up Paul, the guy is just starting out.............
__________________
peter.d.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 08:34   #20
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 5
Re: Where in the World is the Best Boat Market?

There can be some good deals in the Philippines (amazing cruising) and perhaps look at rest of Asia as suggested already. Similar situation to Canada is Australia/NZ re the US $ buying perhaps a little more bought for your $.

It is a global market though and best idea is to "discover" one that is an urgent sale
__________________
peter.d.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 08:41   #21
Moderator Emeritus
 
David M's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: San Francisco Bay
Boat: research vessel
Posts: 10,150
Re: Where in the World is the Best Boat Market?

It would be interesting to know where the best markets are for the buyer and the seller. A little boat arbitrage?
__________________
David

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 08:50   #22
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Singapore
Boat: Pinisi, 30m (81ft)
Posts: 24
Re: Where in the World is the Best Boat Market?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post

Well… if you want to "cruise Thailand" (why only here?) then you should look to buy here (my current location). Or Malaysia. ....... There are some excellent deals to be had, particularly considering that it is not the ideal place to sell and boats frequently hang for long periods. Anyhow, if cruising Thailand is all you are interested in… you can set your sights pretty low as to specs and quality, with perfect satisfaction.
I'd agree with Muckie - if you really don't want to sail the oceans to get to Thailand then buy in Langkawi, Malaysia: check out Pre-loved Yachts For Sale & Yacht Charters in Langkawi Island - Malaysia
Speak to Paul, he's a really nice guy

Also there's no Sales Tax on yachts in Malaysia.

There's no safety issue in the region just because you are a US citizen - quite the contrary wherever did you get that idea?

We're actually building an 80ft traditional 2 masted wooden schooner in Indonesia 5 cabins all ensuite ... which we'll be chartering in Thailand...cost is about double your budget but check it out here https://www.facebook.com/RajaNagaLaut.Cruises
__________________
RajaNagaLaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 09:09   #23
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 47
Re: Where in the World is the Best Boat Market?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul J. Nolan View Post
Four cabins and two heads...on a coastal cruiser...to sail to Thailand?

Why does everyone think they can start at the top...without learning enough about the sport even to ask an intelligent question?

It is as if someone is inquiring about jetting off to Cannes or Gstaad without ever having taken a single flying lesson. It's beginning to try my patience.

Paul
The top? you stuck in a dingy?

you sound a little jealous,, with out any attempt to answer questions...
what are you doing on this site? whats wrong with my question?
did you even read it?
__________________
AdventureWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 09:11   #24
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 47
Re: Where in the World is the Best Boat Market?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Yes, but not with 4 cabins for under $100k
yeaa thats what were seeing.. but we have no problem finding such a Cat in Florida for 100... does Florida have a cheaper market?
__________________
AdventureWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 09:12   #25
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 47
Re: Where in the World is the Best Boat Market?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter.d.m View Post
There can be some good deals in the Philippines (amazing cruising) and perhaps look at rest of Asia as suggested already. Similar situation to Canada is Australia/NZ re the US $ buying perhaps a little more bought for your $.

It is a global market though and best idea is to "discover" one that is an urgent sale
motivated seller for sure! been searching online for months.. don't see many good deals in Asia..
__________________
AdventureWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 09:14   #26
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 47
Re: Where in the World is the Best Boat Market?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
AMEN Paul! You're not the only one!
why do you guys use this site if you don't read the questions?

our captain has his Captains License and over 4 years experience running day trips..

maybe you couldn't pull it off but we will.. good luck treading water
__________________
AdventureWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 09:20   #27
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,105
Re: Where in the World is the Best Boat Market?

I know where its expensive to buy a boat: Europe, Baltic, and Mediterranean. North America is actually one of the cheapest places to buy a boat. If your buying a boat in Thailand, beware of the western con men who routinely bilk fellow westerners with phony deals.
__________________
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 09:29   #28
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 47
Re: Where in the World is the Best Boat Market?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
Umm… and your name is AdventureWorld? Gosh.

Well… if you want to "cruise Thailand" (why only here?) then you should look to buy here (my current location). Or Malaysia. Plenty of people end up here and effectively "dump" their pretty well equipped craft in this area, often for fear of the Indian, or else because the "lifestyle" of the region gets them by the throat and bleeds them out. There are some excellent deals to be had, particularly considering that it is not the ideal place to sell and boats frequently hang for long periods. Anyhow, if cruising Thailand is all you are interested in… you can set your sights pretty low as to specs and quality, with perfect satisfaction.
we want to START in Thailand because we love it there. easy water, warm weather, we have resources and awesome local connections..

your answer....
"excellent deals to be had" "you can sets your sights pretty low"

ummmm what?
__________________
AdventureWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 09:30   #29
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 47
Re: Where in the World is the Best Boat Market?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
I know where its expensive to buy a boat: Europe, Baltic, and Mediterranean. North America is actually one of the cheapest places to buy a boat. If your buying a boat in Thailand, beware of the western con men who routinely bilk fellow westerners with phony deals.
very true!!

thanks for your input.. from what we see online, we agree..
__________________
AdventureWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 09:34   #30
Senior Cruiser
 
StuM's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Port Moresby,Papua New Guinea
Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43
Posts: 6,709
Re: Where in the World is the Best Boat Market?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureWorld View Post
why do you guys use this site if you don't read the questions?

our captain has his Captains License and over 4 years experience running day trips..

maybe you couldn't pull it off but we will.. good luck treading water

Way to go, newbie. You'll make a lot of friends on CF with this attitude.
__________________

__________________
StuM is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Sailing Gloves on the Market! anchorgloves Commercial Posts 6 10-12-2013 20:21
Best Cat on the Market $350,000 or Less Flight Risk Multihull Sailboats 5 10-05-2012 09:40
Buyer's Market or Seller's Market ? rourkeh Dollars & Cents 31 11-10-2010 11:52



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:57.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.