Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2009, 07:44   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Whats with the hostility towards people with money?

It bothers me when wealthy people get stereotyped as being like Thurston Howell III on Gilligans island. I know a number of seriously wealthy people who are the nicest people you could ever meet. No they don't have long hair, smoke dope and wear Grateful Dead T-shirts, but they certainly do not fit the stereotype from the first post. (See...I can inaccurately stereotype the counter-culture as well.)

Its best to get to know people personally before you label them.
I bothers me when people lack reading comprehension skills. Please tell me where I have castigated wealthy people. I did take a shot across the bow of the nouveau riche, so you have me there, but that's simply a sub-set and I don't hate all of them, by any stretch.

In fact, I don't hate people (at least in this context) at all and I certainly don't hate those possessions which anyone has accumulated. I hate certain attitudes in people. For example smug. When I encounter smug I want to beat the individual to within an inch of his life. I'm normally able to resist the urge, but it does take a bit of doing.
DPMatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2009, 07:54   #77
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Just because some one is smug you have the desire to beat them with in an inch of their lives? Being smug I would think comes from feeling inadequet. I would think a laugh, and walking away would pretty much deal with the stupidity. A wee bit tense are you?......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2009, 07:57   #78

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40
dp matty you need a vacation
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2009, 08:00   #79

You are both correct. I have spent far too much of this summer day sailing. Today however I'm packing the boat for a month or so on the water.

I also forget that I'm new to this board and my humor and mannerisms aren't yet known. I'll try to remember that point.
Old 30-07-2009, 08:02   #80

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPMatty View Post
Please tell me where I have castigated wealthy people. When I encounter smug I want to beat the individual to within an inch of his life. I'm normally able to resist the urge, but it does take a bit of doing.
DPMatty, I can show you in this thread where you have castigated half the people that responded to you. You seem to speak to members in this forum like they work for you, which, by the way, might be a fate worse than death.

As far as smug goes, please beat the crap out of yourself. IMHO, Chris

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2009, 08:02   #81
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Quote:
You are both correct. I have spent far too much of this summer day sailing. Today however I'm packing the boat for a month or so on the water.
WELL,

Have a good time, and for goodness sakes be careful out there. I hear all the smug people drive around in GIN PALACES.........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2009, 08:03   #82
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
Just a gentle reminder, we ask you debate the issues, not the personalities.

Thank you
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2009, 08:05   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Just a gentle reminder, we ask you debate the issues, not the personalities.

Thank you
I will keep that in mind.
Old 30-07-2009, 08:17   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
DPMatty, I can show you in this thread where you have castigated half the people that responded to you. You seem to speak to members in this forum like they work for you, which, by the way, might be a fate worse than death.

As far as smug goes, please beat the crap out of yourself. IMHO, Chris
Please do show me! I've been over the thread just now and with the exception of two (perhaps three) gentle barbs directed at those who attacked me, I don't see it.

As for those who work for me, they all appear quite happy. I don't suffer fools and the nature of our work requires a certain type of individual, but those that are successful are very happy here.

As far as beating the crap out of myself goes, I'll do my best when I get to the gym later.
Old 30-07-2009, 08:53   #85
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Ya know, it bothers me to think about being a yuppie. I turned 46 this year so I'm really not a young urban professional anymore. I'm working on MARLBORO. Middle Aged Rural Living Boat Owner Rationalizing Options. The end needs some work.
I also can't figure out if I'm a Light, or Red.
Living In Great Historical Times or Realizes Erectile Disfunction. Ok, I'm a Light.
Palarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2009, 09:10   #86

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40
46 not young? speak for yourself my friend.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2009, 09:29   #87
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
If I live to be 90, I'll be very happy. So, I'm just past my median. I've done and learned enough from my "young" days to feel comfortable entering the middle part of life.
Palarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2009, 09:31   #88
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Amen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Its best to get to know people personally before you slap a label on them.
and may I suggest further that DPMatty could learn a great deal from David M, and not just in terms of navigation. Perhaps the tutorial could begin with writing comprehension, in other words, the importance of actually understanding what you write. As I understand it, this is a skill best learned before you hit the "Submit Reply" button.
Old 30-07-2009, 16:13   #89
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
I bothers me when people lack reading comprehension skills. Please tell me where I have castigated wealthy people. I did take a shot across the bow of the nouveau riche, so you have me there, but that's simply a sub-set and I don't hate all of them, by any stretch.

In fact, I don't hate people (at least in this context) at all and I certainly don't hate those possessions which anyone has accumulated. I hate certain attitudes in people. For example smug. When I encounter smug I want to beat the individual to within an inch of his life. I'm normally able to resist the urge, but it does take a bit of doing.
What makes you think I was addressing just you? My point is to learn about someone before slapping a label on them, which unfortunately some people do.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2009, 16:43   #90
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It's not unusual for the originator of a thread to take a proprietary interest in it's evolution. Unfortunately, it is also not unusual for thread originators to feel that every post that follows is addressed to him/her, and to take it personally.

This is often not the case - many posts are only commentary offered on one particular post in a long thread. And even then, quoted material from some particular post is often only a launch-pad to make some point. When a poster sees his words quoted in someone else's post, however, he will often take that poster's statement as being personally directed at him, even when that is clearly not the case.

Life would be much simpler if people reacted logically, rather than emotionally.

TaoJones