Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 31-01-2010, 22:22   #241

Boat: morgan 462-sageofsalem
Mr. DPMATTY

The Ultimate "cruising ground" is your inner awareness you carry with you to each cruising destination and each encounter with fellow sailors as you move across the earth. Lamenting the "lost days" of yesteryear will not bring them back. What will make everyone's life better is if we approach eachother with an open and positive greeting. Good will is an aspect of life that cannot be denied when cruising. You share, you help out and do everything you can, because you might be in need some day too.

The "good life" is alive and well and it is for all of us to discover...

Old 31-01-2010, 22:33   #242

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff Ketch
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
I will add to the voices saying do not give up . You went out in probably the worst time of year to the worst destination for that time of year.
I second that; the same thing basically happened to me when I recently bought my first real boat in Airle Beach QLD hoping to sail it home to near Sydney NSW. When I got there the change of temperature was stifling and it took me weeks longer than I expected to leave for the journey south. When I did out of the first weeks sailing I got one decent afternoon’s wind. The rest was the doldrums or upwind.

Next I get a mooring rope obscuring the channel out of a lagoon wrapped around my prop and end up with fractured engine plates, torn mounts and God only knows what other damage. During the week it took to fix the mess good enough to get me too the next point I missed the last of the NE winds that would have pushed me into NSW waters. Then getting too the port the Genoa shredded. Now the cyclone season is well and truly happening in QLD, so the boat might as well stay on the hardstand for next couple of months.

Regardless, just today I sorted out the insurance and decided the best plan of attack was to suffer a leaking motor and use the funds to buy a new Genoa that will make the sail home enjoyable to say the least. A big package also arrived from Amazon.com containing a heap of sailing books I purchased including, Calder’s “Mechanical and Electrical Manual”, Cole’s “Heavy Weather Sailing” and Vigor’s “Seaworthy Offshore Sailboat”. Instead of gloom these books contained the exact information I needed to complete my maiden voyage.

I decided to show the books to a mate and he lent me Robin Lee Graham’s “Dove”. It is the story of a 16 year old who sets out to circumnavigate the world. I just read the first chapter and if you think our exploits are disasters you should read the part about how he and a couple of mates decided to do an offshore passage in a 16 ft dingy. You have got to get this book and read the letter he includes written by a well-wisher amongst the storm of controversy he created. It is all about the real spirit of the sailing and adventuring counter-culture. While Graham can’t explain exactly why he decided to sail the world he does touch on the notion of “freedom”.

I am also extremely stoked there are people out there telling others not to give up!

Old 07-02-2010, 20:42   #243

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River,j/100 BJ
Sometimes whiners are good you put them on the bow in a fog.
Old 07-02-2010, 23:43   #244

Boat: 74 Tartan 34
the north west is great. I have been there a few times. Almost got a job and apartment in portland back in the 80s when i was on 2 wheels. I have walked the hills of seattle-love the backpacks.
2 old friends live out there- they say it is great.
good advice
Old 16-02-2010, 14:10   #245

Am I the only one to laugh at the irony of those saying how it isn't what it used to be back in the day, when there was no GPS, aircon etc., all jumping onto their laptops around the world with their broadband connections in anchorages/marinas, to join sone internet thread about how it's all to easy and comfortable now???? Face it fellas (and ladies), the world's a lot more comfortable now than it was 30 years ago. So what? If it means more people can get out there and enjoy cruising then great!
Old 16-02-2010, 19:10   #246

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Quote:
Originally Posted by toby24b View Post
Am I the only one to laugh at the irony of those saying how it isn't what it used to be back in the day, when there was no GPS, aircon etc., all jumping onto their laptops around the world with their broadband connections in anchorages/marinas, to join sone internet thread about how it's all to easy and comfortable now???? Face it fellas (and ladies), the world's a lot more comfortable now than it was 30 years ago. So what? If it means more people can get out there and enjoy cruising then great!
You're quite right. The main problem is that all the books we read that infected us with the cruising bug were written when cruising was more of a challange. When we finally go cruising, we're apalled to find out the all of the cruising culture and places have, somehow, joined the twentyfirst century.
What was will never be again. The cowboys of the old west are gone forever.
If you really want to worry about the changing times and the advancing years that we all face, consider the following:

Freshman in collage this fall, indeed, those who will vote for the first time this fall, were born in 1992! What the heck do they know about life?

John
Old 17-02-2010, 06:17   #247
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
. . . Freshman in collage this fall, indeed, those who will vote for the first time this fall, were born in 1992! What the heck do they know about life? John
That seems to be a far-reaching sentiment about the young - a couple of friends, so to speak, had the same sentiments - - -
Hesiod, 8th century BC "What is happening to our young people? They disrespect their elders, they disobey their parents. They ignore the law. They riot in the streets inflamed with wild notions. Their morals are decaying. What is to become of them?"
Plato, 4th Century BC

"The young people of today think of nothing but themselves. They have no reverence for parents or old age. They are impatient of all restraint... As for the girls, they are forward, immodest and unladylike in speech, behavior and dress."
- -What could young people possibly know? Although we managed to get to the 21st century and thankfully Mother Nature is a good teacher of life's lessons.
Old 17-02-2010, 06:27   #248

Boat: Cambria 46, Starlight
We have about 2 years to go before we cast off, and I just want to get out there. Whether it is dinner at a little seafood place on the docks, a quiet anchorage somewhere, dawn at sea, rafted up with friends, or snuggled up with my wife, looking up through the hatch at the stars, I just want to get out there. All of those things I just mentioned are there right now, and I don't really care about what might have been and may be no longer.

The pleasure and reality of cruising are there, calling to us.
Old 17-02-2010, 06:41   #249
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHNTR111 View Post
. . . and I just want to get out there. Whether it is dinner at a little seafood place on the docks, a quiet anchorage somewhere, dawn at sea, rafted up with friends, or snuggled up with my wife, looking up through the hatch at the stars, I just want to get out there. . . .
The pleasure and reality of cruising are there, calling to us.
Basically that will put you right smack into the middle of the "counter-culture" - welcome.
Old 17-02-2010, 07:35   #250

Boat: Morgan 45 Enchantress
To paraphrase Pogo -- anyone remember Pogo? --
'We have met the counter-culture and it is us'

SV Enchantress
located Herrington Harbour South, Friendship MD
Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof
bloodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 08:30   #251

Boat: Cambria 46, Starlight
It is really us, as I sit in my office, doing my work, trying not to get impatient and just go.
Old 18-02-2010, 11:11   #252
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodhunter View Post
To paraphrase Pogo -- anyone remember Pogo? --
'We have met the counter-culture and it is us'
Perhaps the second best-known Walt Kelly quotation is another one of Pogo's philosophical observations:

"Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pogo_-_Earth_Day_1971_poster.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	13318  

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2010, 12:09   #253

I echo Vasco's thoughts almost entirely. The Abacos are full of cruisers, many of whom are retired (early or otherwise). However, if you don't like crowds, there are lots of places to anchor out where you'll have few, if any, neighbors.

As far as the Bahamas go, there are tons of places off the beaten track to explore. Some of them are even within sight of the lights of Nassau. You'll have anchorages all to yourself, until you get bored and decide to move on. This is also true for Andros, the Berries, Eleuthera, and the other out islands previously mentioned.

I have not met many "boat bums" in the Bahamas, probably because it's an expensive place to visit. Cruising fees, the high cost of food, fuel, and beer tend to keep the near-do-wells away. The void they leave is more than filled by the retiree crowd, of which I am now a member. If it's boat bums you're looking to hang with, I suggest you try the FL Keys. I met tons of eccentrics during a 6-month stay in Marathon.
Old 18-02-2010, 18:26   #254

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Boat bums are not a true "counter-culture" cruiser. Boat bums are more like the homeless or tent people found around every large city in the world.

"Counter-culture" cruisers are the quite group that travels in a less than fully outfitted boat, never staying in marinas or joining the people who plan on returning to their life on dirt. Wine tasting on the beach? never. Touchie feelie forced entertanment? never. They're out there for the personnel satisfaction and adventure of being self-reliant. You'll sometimes see them in internet cafes because they don't own a laptop.
People who have six figure incomes with boats that cost $200.000 plus, who then outfit them to the "nines" with every piece of equiptment suggested by West Marine for a two or three year sabaticial, cannot hope to relate to a fulltime "counter-culture" cruisier.
Where are all the "counter culture" cruisers? you ask.

They're still there. It's you that's changed.
Old 18-02-2010, 21:11   #255

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
They're out there for the personnel satisfaction and adventure of being self-reliant.
I totally agree. While I break a few of your codes I am still starting to think there is hope for me yet. Just don’t expect to find me down the yacht club bitching myself up the hierarchy or pretending to dominate the who’s who of the marina bound trailer trash (sorry to all those good people who rely on the safety of marinas), I just want to get my boat back to sea!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: