Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-12-2009, 18:22   #211
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
There is also a romantic fixation with "being alone" - That's great until you need more toilet paper. Then it's great to have a piggly wiggly full of people to sell it to me. Oh, and not forget the guys at Charmin who rolled it up and packaged it. Oh, and the guy at the paper mill who converted the wood pulp to tissue. And the guy who cut down the tree...

Remember the kid who went "Into the Wild" - alone?

Ate some bad berries because he was starving and died. Yup - being alone is a bit overrated in my opinion.

And before someone says, "Yeah but you don't need toilet paper." How about 7 strand 3/16 wire or teh swages needed to attach them to the mast. I certainly don't know how to make that stuff from scratch.

OTOH - There are plenty of places left to gain solitude. We just happen to be very attached to big cities.

Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2009, 18:37   #212

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
For a single person like me, the choice to have that grand adventure of cruising was simple.
The alternative is to wait for retirement and spend the rest of your life living in an apartment -- alone. Always wondering what might have been.
As I approached sixty I watched people older than I retire and within two years have life-threating illnesses. No I said, that's not for me.
I left my job at sixty and cruised for nine plus years.
And now, here I am, living alone in a small apartment.
Damn, I had fun!!

Old 19-12-2009, 18:37   #213

PEOPLE MAKE PLACES
Old 20-12-2009, 16:18   #214

Boat: Between boats
Send a message via MSN to Hampus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Yup - being alone is a bit overrated in my opinion.
What about the option of being alone?

/Hampus
Old 20-12-2009, 18:22   #215
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampus View Post
What about the option of being alone?

/Hampus
I persoanlly think a lot of the threads about overcorwding are somewhat a reaction to present and current situations.

Everyone gets a bit frustrated finding a parking spot at the mall, waiting in line for a movie ticket, waiting in line at the DMV, etc.

It is a result of societal organization that has moved us from agrarian to industrial peoples. It is more efficient but it has created a lot of new pressures and means we live in closer proximity to our neighbors.

The crowded marina is also probably the one that is close by a population center and can also be frustrating.

I get the same frustrations as everyone else. There truly are options. You have to sever the ties to the corwded city and live in the relatively less crowded village.

However when we analyze it the average person gets enough benefit from a crowded society that they stay.

Just about anyone can leave the city.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2009, 18:43   #216
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
There is also a romantic fixation with "being alone"...
Yup - being alone is a bit overrated in my opinion.
Someone who inhabits this boat with me loves anchorages with few other cruising boats.

The other night on the way here to Pukhet we anchored at the side of a channel between 2 islands, the next bay up from a small village, some large trawlers anchored about 1 nm away... no other cruisers.

Just us.

About a stones throw from where Malcom Robertson from 'Mr Bean' was murdered in March this year.

Just us.

By ourselves.... except for the noises at night.....

Well, I can tell you, I've had my fill of uncrowded anchorages! Come on in and anchor up!!!!!!!!!! Raft up and lets party!!!!!!

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2009, 18:50   #217
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Quote:
Originally Posted by viajaero View Post
Exactly...

While some people with gin palaces certainly can be jerks, so can some low budget cruisers.

I have experienced both types in either behaviour, so it is not like in Orwells "Animal Farm" as some posts seem to suggest.
what about the attitudes of the rich boy cruisers who are ruining places for everyone including the native inhabitants of the countries invaded by them and their judgementalism?? no one mentions that ugly american....LOL.....and they anchor up against you and run an extremely noisey boat----waaay into the evening......
zeehag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2009, 01:53   #218
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPMatty View Post
My point stands. The cruising community, especially in that part of the world had a definite counter culture vibe to it. That's not something I see represented here or elsewhere really, so I'm asking if it's gone. Perhaps you never knew what I'm talking about?
Not gone, just submerged and much harder to find, and maybe fewer of them. It used to be that you met an awful lot of "interesting" people cruising on sailboats. Now there are a lot of "ordinary " people out there. As you can see I'm struggling for the right adjectives here.

dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2009, 06:13   #219
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Time moves in one direction only - and - humans have this nasty habit of continuing to make more humans before the old ones wear out. So populations continue to increase in a fixed amount of land. Mother Nature is not making enough "new" land to keep up with the increase in population. Humans also have another nasty habit and that is wanting to eat. So the increased numbers of "new" people need food and money to eat which means that the increase in cruisers is somewhat the result of increase in competition of the once deserted islands and inhabitants to lure "revenue sources" (us boaters) to their little piece of former paradise and bring our money.
- - There are still many unoccupied and "deserted" little coves and tiny islands for those wanting to "get away" from it all. But we also have become accustomed to a certain level of comfort and the locals are willing to sell us the supplies we want so they can feed their families.
- - Just wanting to get away from the masses in big population centers and living a semi-self-sufficient style of life to me constitutes being a "counter-culture" person. On sailboats we do live a more "natural/organic" life than just about all city-folk. We walk everywhere, we cook from scratch (almost), bake and explore the waters around little deserted islands au naturiel. That is all very radical from the views of our family and friends back in civilization.
Old 21-12-2009, 16:42   #220

???????????

I find this thread both amusing and amazing. People longing for the "good ol' days" before GPS, etc. These notes all posted by people using the INTERNET to share that opinion. Those longing for the good old days should, perhaps, send their messages in a bottle or by carrier pigeon. Do you folks also eschew cell phones, radar and modern medicines?

To those who have decided that they "loathe" folks not yet even met; I hope not to run into you in my travels. I enjoy meeting all the new and interesting people out there cruising. The only exception are people with passionate opinions on subjects which they know nothing about.
Old 21-12-2009, 19:06   #221

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40
Here is an arithmetic fact. If the population is growing at 3% a year then it will double about every 24 years. Add to that the fact that it is getting richer at the same time and there is no mystery why there are more boats out there.
Old 21-12-2009, 20:03   #222
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post

what about the attitudes of the rich boy cruisers who are ruining places for everyone including the native inhabitants of the countries invaded by them and their judgementalism?? no one mentions that ugly american....LOL.....and they anchor up against you and run an extremely noisey boat----waaay into the evening......
The 'native inhabitants' I have met were actually just as noisy, and in most cases MORE noisy, than the visitors.

And if them native inhabitants 'welcome' the visitors it is because of their willingness to exchange their formerly clean and unspoiled places for money. If they do not want cruisers, why won't they just lock up their countries? Because they want our money.

If by 'american' you mean US citizens, then I must disappoint you that it is very highly unlikely that they are worse than any other cruising nationality. If you have any statistics to support your point please be so kind and share.

;-)
barnie
Old 21-12-2009, 21:36   #223
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Yeah, I read that book.....He was the land version of the juicebox that decides to sail off for places unknown.......and dies.

He was about a stupid as they get.
Old 22-12-2009, 04:01   #224
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset Key View Post
To those who have decided that they "loathe" folks not yet even met; I hope not to run into you in my travels. I enjoy meeting all the new and interesting people out there cruising. .
Well said!!!!!!

Quote:
The only exception are people with passionate opinions on subjects which they know nothing about
LOL You'll hate me! LOLOLOL

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2009, 12:05   #225

Boat: 47' Alwoplast Crowther Catamaran
Seems to be an incredible degree of judgementalism on display in this thread. First off is the irony of seeking the answer on the internet...hmmm does that strike no one else as a four fingers pointing back atcha exercise?

A bunch of the most interesting people I have known in my life are wealthy. Try to get to know them rather than lumping them into your toilet tube. They are a lot more relaxed after a few months of cruising. The ones who are afraid to have many adventures are in marinas you might not want to visit anyway.

My personal dream cruise would be to have been invited by William F. Buckley across the Atlantic on one of his epic extended conversations over fine wine. Alas the Sea Dog eventually calls us all and that is one dream that will never be. But oh what a joy. But that's just me.

Wealth is not the measure of a person's character...besides in the US, the wealthy pay nearly all your taxes making the cruising life possible for dole slackers everywhere. And if you find people who skate through life on the backs of others good and jolly company then ... more power to you.

Go John Galt or Go Mr. Natural it don't much matter. Just get out there. I'm just sayin'.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: