Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2009, 05:48   #166

Boat: next one awaited
I have spent months looking at this forum and have recently joined

I am planning a circumnavigation in 2010 or 2011

My boat will be the QE2 or Queen Elizabeth;whilst I won't have to navigate or pull strings I do believe that I will be allowed on the bridge once or twice

this is the new sub counter sub culture; beware!
slipstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 07:01   #167

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331
I have been sailing for thirty years. I lived aboard and cruised in the 70's. From my perspective it seems to be the same mix of people then as now. It really all depends on who you befreind and hang-out with. It's really all about perspective and point of view in my opinion.
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 07:12   #168
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstream View Post

My boat will be the QE2
this is the new sub counter sub culture; beware!
That will be interesting as the QE2 was retired last year.

Mum was an interesting counter culture on it many times. The Captains learned to wear running shoes.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 10:12   #169

Boat: next one awaited
well, if I hadn't spent so long on here I would have known that!

I have some great shots of the QE2 ploughing through a big sea at 26kts a couple of days out of St Lucia (ARC 2006)

a bit vulgar / un cruiserlike to take a technical point on such a serious issue
slipstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 11:25   #170

Boat: Hunter 41 - "Son of a Sailor"
Envy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Sure View Post
Show me a person that "applied themselves and made a load of money", and 99% of the time I'll show you a person that actually made their money 'by hook or by crook', take your pick.
NOT SURE, "envy" might be a good description of your views of other boaters. I'll wager 90+ percent of those we have met "out there" worked hard, saved, bought a boat, then split. Sometimes it took 40+ years to make their "load of money." "By hook or by crook" is cynical and likely very inaccurate.
Old 17-11-2009, 17:41   #171

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Sure
Show me a person that "applied themselves and made a load of money", and 99% of the time I'll show you a person that actually made their money 'by hook or by crook', take your pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by opsailor View Post
NOT SURE, "envy" might be a good description of your views of other boaters. I'll wager 90+ percent of those we have met "out there" worked hard, saved, bought a boat, then split. Sometimes it took 40+ years to make their "load of money." "By hook or by crook" is cynical and likely very inaccurate.
NOT SURE - 1 percenter here.
Been hard at it for almost 5 years (Dec 21)
First year I took 13 days off. Next, a little more. So far this year - about 20 or so.
I tell the wife since I have done 10 years of work in 5, I get to take 5 years off.
That floats like lead.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 18:34   #172

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40
I have a hook. But even though I used to raise sheep, I have no crook. These is modern times mon. Crooks are old school.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 18:43   #173
Eternal Member

Dogs Are Better!

I used to think that dogs were preferable to 95% of humankind.

But, after studying, observing, and interacting with others all these years I find that I was mistaken.

Dogs are actually better than 99% of humankind!

However, most of the remaining 1% are to be found on boats -- not on golf courses, thank heavens :-)

Witness Max on watch in Maine: http://wdsg.com/gallery/main.php?g2_...geViewsIndex=1

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:10   #174

Boat: 17' faering Ironblood, building 34' schooner Javelin
Gotta toss in my $2.20 cents [inflation since we were counter culture]. When I was born there were 2.24 billion people on this entire planet. There are now 6.75 billion. The percentage of 'counter culture people' has not changed. The absolute number of people out on boats has skyerocketed. The last time I anchored in La Paz, Mexico, there were maybe 15 boats in the anchorage. these days, friends tell me it is closer to 300. when I walk around, or row around, local marinas and anchorages here in the Salish Sea [used to be called Puget Sound], I see many, many boats I would not want to either own or sail in. But there are still a few of us. I find a 30' cowhorn schooner from New England, sometimes a friendship sloop, ditto. And sometimes a gaff schooner like the one I used to own. I will begin building a boat again soon, and it will be a 'counter culture boat' [read pre marconi, pre fiberglass style]. But when I row past one of those plastic uglies [my view, only], I see people dressed in REI or LL Bean best, who are laughing, talking, who invite me aboard for a glass of merlot [my fave], and who drool over my handbuilt 17' faering beach cruiser. The counter culture didn't go anywhere. We just changed clothes, because we discovered that companies like REI actually have warranties and keep them. And their clothes are far better, last longer and feel better. I weaqr the same pants rowing that I wear backpacking, for the same reason - they dry quickly, are easy to care for, and last forever. My Keen sandals cost me a bundle, but after a couple of years wading in salt water and mountain streams, they still look new. Go figure. Beats the hell out of St Vinnie's and Goodwill. Am I still a hippy? My students all thought so. Do I still have a problem with authority? Fraid so. Do I look like we did in the sixties? I wish .....
MichaelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 12:42   #175

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
I don't know about counter-culture, but I find even the sailing culture of any kind to be much rarer than I read about. If find most boats are cruising couples that for the most part would rather be left alone than be cultural or social.

I find it much more likely that someone will yell at me for anchoring anywhere near them than come over to provide a cultural experience.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 13:16   #176

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Those aren't cruising couples those are cursing couples..

Sadly they are quite prevalent around here too...but mostly found when docking.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 13:46   #177

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331
confused???

Were we talking about counter-culture or anachronistic cave folk?
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 18:44   #178
cruiser

I think it's coming back around. It seems that sailing became "yachting" again for a long time. But it seems to be getting back to sailing again.

With Sunderland, Perham, et. al. you've got a new generation of people being drawn in through the adventurous aspect of sailing (like they did in the 70's) instead of just the elitist or technical aspect of it. That's cool.
smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 19:05   #179
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
instead of just the elitist or technical aspect of it. That's cool.
I'm one of the elitists. I hate the proletariat, peasants or anyone from Third World countries, but I do like cruising in them so I can witness their suffering

I doubt your counter culture can exist in any sort of real depth. Certainly they seem to be few and far between where we are. Sure there are lots doing it on a strict, strict budget. But I don't think they are 'counter culture', just folks like us doing it on what they have

Maybe the only elitists are those 'counter culture' that discount all the others cruising!

mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 20:00   #180

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I'm one of the elitists. I hate the proletariat, peasants or anyone from Third World countries, but I do like cruising in them so I can witness their suffering

I doubt your counter culture can exist in any sort of real depth. Certainly they seem to be few and far between where we are. Sure there are lots doing it on a strict, strict budget. But I don't think they are 'counter culture', just folks like us doing it on what they have

Maybe the only elitists are those 'counter culture' that discount all the others cruising!

mark

You Aussies are a HOOT!...I have to go there some day...ROFL

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote