Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 02:38   #16

Re: When to Buy a Used Sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by leont View Post
Martymcfly, I just started looking for a 1995+/- boat seriously and it is a bit of a shocker. It probably has something to do with emotional attachment when owners disregard market conditions. My 1st house was a fixer-upper; looking back, I should had paid a little more money and enjoyed a brand new house - once you start, every "fix" goes over the budget. The same with the boats. Still have about 6 months window, but started gravitate to newer boats.
I'm still looking myself and started at newer secondhand boats. Then I had a look at older boats but like you probably I'll buy secondhand but not to old..

Happy hunting and will let you know how we get on. Got my holiday booked for sailing this year. One week in august on the Moray coast in Scotland then two week in September in Greece on the Med.. Can't wait :-))
martymcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:01   #17

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
Instead of WHEN, how about WHERE?

Seems to us, that there are a few good spots for cheap boats, like Panama, Rio Dulce, Florida, Mexico, etc. Usually the places where boats and people get stuck are those places where it is too hard to sail back home, or there is a long ocean leg up ahead or the cheap third world booze turns the owners into alcoholics.

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:47   #18
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: When to Buy a Used Sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post
Instead of WHEN, how about WHERE?

Seems to us, that there are a few good spots for cheap boats, like Panama, Rio Dulce, Florida, Mexico, etc. Usually the places where boats and people get stuck are those places where it is too hard to sail back home, or there is a long ocean leg up ahead or the cheap third world booze turns the owners into alcoholics.
Panama... expensive to get to and from... only saw two overpriced boats last year... a Newport and an old Dufour... both under 32ft in need of serious work
Florida... Dodgey.. travel is cheap from UK but to many bodged up hurricane damaged boats
Venezuala... quite a few boats.. but getting stuff for re-fit is harder..
Caribbean... easy to get to direct.. great place for EU built boats... better build quality... they actually use screws that go in more than 2 turns and hold stuff in place.. have owned 2 US built boats... Hunter 37 and a Beneteau.. had to put new screws in all over the place on both...
But if you've the ability to take on an ocean crossing you will find a good deal.. my last five boats have been fly n buy..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 13:59   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
The best time to buy a boat is when you find one you like!!

All this spring/fall crap is about finding a deal instead of buying a boat. Everyone spends a lot of time trying to find a deal it makes me wonder why they even want something like a money pit (i.e. a boat). The best deal is to NOT buy a boat!
Probably the most logical statement EVER about boat ownership! LOL!

I spent plenty of time debating the merits of which one(s) are for me next. Sorted through them and went looking...still looking! it's only a 'deal' if it's the right boat for you, not the 'cheapest for it's size'!
Clamdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 14:06   #20
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

mexico can be a great place to buy a boat any time of year as there are many left by ex cruisers who either couldnt hack it or didnt want to lose their landlubbing wife. leave the trash in mexico and deal with it later--is now for sale--LOL
i know of some niice looking boats in mexico for sale with and without papers....and i know a medium sized usa documented boat for sale reasonable price--here in zihuatenejo.

i also know of rotten and skuzzy ones in usa for sale with good papers..

look in mexico just after the baja haha in san carlos and mazatlan and la paz
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 15:48   #21

The deals are out there. But the real deals sell very quickly.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 16:16   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
mexico .....
i know of some niice looking boats in mexico for sale with and without papers...
What does this mean, without papers? As in I may, or may not own the boat I am trying to sell you???

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 16:30   #23

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
As in I may, or may not own the boat I am trying to sell you???
Yep--but more often it is some dodginess that the real owner has pulled, like leaving Europe somehow without paying VAT on the boat and knowing they can't go back, etc. Down in the Caribbean you meet folks who will tell you outright they can never go back to where they came from, but they usually won't get into the details of why.
Old 05-03-2013, 16:34   #24
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

without papers i sbad. means could be stolen or liened to hilt or something odd.
with papers is good--means is owned by someone wanting to sell and is easily transferred not a pita....makes a biiiiig difference
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailboat