Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2009, 17:09   #16

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
If I was motoring, but the wind either clocks enough picks up enough to get an aid from the sails, I'll often motor sail. If I had been close to hull speed, obviously I won't be going any faster, but if I'm getting power from the wind/sails, I should be able to decrease the RPMs and maintain the same speed which means less fuel consumption and possibly less engine wear.

Often I'll see increased stability as mentioned before.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2009, 18:32   #17

The only time I don't have the main up and I am "going somewhere" is to the fuel dock or into and out of the anchorage. I find that unless the wind is right on the nose the boat will move faster. When it's on the nose I tack back and forth through the eye of the wind.

When schedules or time is not an issue I enjoy sailing very slowly too. It's very peaceful. But we have an auxiliary and access to fuel and use little of it actually so motor sailing doesn't seem like such blasphemy. We also create energy for the hot water, charge the batts and chill the refer.

I do hate the noise of motors.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 07:09   #18

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
In some situations motor sailing can be a safety backup to running the motor as well. If your motor should unexpectedly quit, you have an immediate form of power and control which in some situations could mean the difference between hitting another anchored boat or reef or not.

I actually had that happen one time when leaving an anchorage that had a current running through it. At the time I was on a sailboat with an outboard auxillary and just as we were leaving anchor, the motor cut out. (Fuel delivery issue) fortuntely with the main up, we had some control until I got it going again. If you charter from the Moorings in St. Martin, they request you enter and depart the harbor which requires skirting a couple reefs motor sailing for the same reason.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 08:09   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Most sailors publicly understate their amount of motoring. Anonymously they admit to a lot more.

We motor sail quite a bit. On passage making, like MarkJ, it's about conserving the juice for when you really need it. For coastal sailors like us it's about hitting the anchorages on time. A lot of times motoring saves the schedule.

We have the main up 100% of the time.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 08:42   #20

What dan said...

We need to get into the anchorage often to find a decent spot, set up the dink and take the dogs to shore to empty them - especially true when we do a long sail. We do what makes sense. Also making landfall in daylight is a prudent thing to do and if it means putting the motor on, so be it.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:03   #21

When to add sail?

I usually have the sail up any time I can get a benefit from it - either stability or power.

I find my fuel cost per hour drops approx 10-20% with the main up, though I haven't done any precise measurements. When the wind is reasonably favourable and I'm motoring to meet a schedule or because the current is foul I use the sails and throttle back
to maintain near hull speed. Sometimes the motor is barely over idle speed. When the wind isn't helpful, I can still get some benefit sheeting in pretty much flat and doing 5-10 degree tacks.

But I have to admit I get really bothered motorsailing because at the moment I don't have the proper day shapes aboard. It's a personal hang-up.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:41   #22

I do it the opposite. I use the sails and turn on the diesel only when I need/want to go faster than sails alone will provide. sounds like you motor first and sail second? Huh? I must assume that you've got a sailboat that motors better than it sails...

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:45   #23

Boat: Sceptre 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Most sailors publicly understate their amount of motoring. Anonymously they admit to a lot more.

We motor sail quite a bit. On passage making, like MarkJ, it's about conserving the juice for when you really need it. For coastal sailors like us it's about hitting the anchorages on time. A lot of times motoring saves the schedule.

We have the main up 100% of the time.
I agree. Hi my name is Charlie and I am a motor sailor. Had a nice trip the other day. Weekend in San Diego with three buddies. Got out of the Marina and then cut the engine. I didn't want to turn the thing on again all day. We didn't turn it on again until we were headed into the anchorage. Saw 1.7 knots on the GPS but there was no engine noise. Another day I sailed off the anchor with the main. I had the engine on but in neutral ( we were close to a lee shore). From there we sailed out of Mariner'd Cove and then out the Mission Bay breakwater all with the engine in neutral. There wasn't that much wind in the channel but good sized waves and I didn't want to get stopped by a wave and end up on the rocks. After we cleared the breakwater we sailed all the way in thru Point Loma and then into Shelter Island. Total time with the motor on that day (excluding neutral engine on time) was 12 minutes.

Schedules really increase your motoring time. If you have to be somewhere the motor makes that possible. When I motor I like to have the main up. I usually have to force the rag to look like a sail. Add some vang and outhaul along with traveler adjustments. It does a good job of steadying the boat in lumpy seas.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 13:02   #24

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
The prop on our boat is pretty undersized (small 2-blade feathering - damn those original racing orientated owners). In flat water, no breeze we can get pretty close to hull speed, buy it doesn't take much headwind and/or chop to slow down our progress significantly. When motoring into a decent breeze we tend to pull up the main and motor sail. This makes the ride more comfortable, gives us a little extra speed and allows us to back off the engine revs a little; conserving fuel and reducing load on engine (fwiw, having a sail to "trim" gives you something to do, heh)

In light breezes, we do sometimes motor sail as well, if we have a deadline to meet.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 13:34   #25

rtbates: No, I was just responding to the question which had been explained as - "when already motoring, when do you use sails?"

On the other hand, when I'm beyond Desolation Sound the tide rules over wind. The narrow channels, the high tidal currents, and the seasonal wind from the NW usually has me motoring all the way up, and sledding on the way back when the tide is favourable. The tides over-rule the motor, too, so I have to be anchored or tied up whenever the current is foul.

Good to hear you're sailing where you don't have such considerations. But you're missing our natural beauties and the challenges of getting there.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 14:12   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amgine View Post
rtbates: No, I was just responding to the question which had been explained as - "when already motoring, when do you use sails?"

On the other hand, when I'm beyond Desolation Sound the tide rules over wind. The narrow channels, the high tidal currents, and the seasonal wind from the NW usually has me motoring all the way up, and sledding on the way back when the tide is favourable. The tides over-rule the motor, too, so I have to be anchored or tied up whenever the current is foul.

Good to hear you're sailing where you don't have such considerations. But you're missing our natural beauties and the challenges of getting there.
OK. I'd say I use the main while motoring anytime the apparent wind is aft enough to make the sail function. I sure am thankful that I don't have to deal with your tides/currents!!!

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 17:00   #27

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Just worth mentioning; you can motor-sail much closer to windward with main than with headsail
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 17:55   #28

Those Rocks are Sharp

My main is up whenever I'm out of the fairway, and until my anchor is set (or I'm entering a tightly-placed mooring field like Catalina Island where the quarters are just too close to make tight maneuvers in a breeze with canvass flying).

I've had more than one stalled engine in a channel, and because I had the main drawing, I still had way on & steerage to sail in to anchor in the basin, or out to open water. No scratches yet.

Yes, for stability, too, but for safety, first. I'm always nervous when motoring under bare poles in close quarters. My fuel-related stalling is fixed now, but the experiences have taught me.
Now, as for slow sailing, I'll go down to 2kts if I've nowhere to be: light air is good practice. Inside the bay, if I really need to point up & don't have the keel lift to do it, I'll start the engine rather than put in 4 tacks.

Outside the breakwater, the San Pedro Channel is only 25 miles wide between Long Beach & Catalina Island: seems silly to be a purist & treat the engine as ballast when it could be helping me get there before dark. I'll still only burn 5.5 gal. if I have to motor both ways, and on the way out (normally a close-hauled point) I'll have hot water and charged batteries when I arrive. Good trade.
Old 02-02-2009, 19:25   #29

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aquaholic,
Sometimes adding a bit of sail while you're motoring will allow you keep the same boat speed and throttle back a bit on the engine speed therefore saving a bit of fuel.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 19:26   #30

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Oops, just noticed someone already said that. Sorry.
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote