Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2012, 18:53   #61
cruiser

Boat: Slocum 37
Re: whats the safest kind of hull?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Multi and the more hulls the more safety. Is it not OBVIOUS?

Fourtyhulls normally fare very, very well.

;-)
b.
One for Multi's
vtcapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2012, 19:10   #62
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I answered the question in the previous post. Read #40.

My opinion the question was asked incorrectly, only allowing 2 options out of many possible plus the question was too simplistic anyway. First I would say the question would be more relevant if it include options beside a full keeled monohull or a multihull. Then it completely ignores all the other variables of the boat design, quality of construction, rig, displacement, etc.
First off you did not answer the question in #40 you compared mono to mono. Now you question the question.

It was very simple, you made it very complicated. Try this: Multiple choice. A) Monohull B) Multi-Hull

Remember, we are advising a novice regarding seaworthness...

RT
Old 30-07-2012, 19:38   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtcapo View Post
First off you did not answer the question in #40 you compared mono to mono. Now you question the question.

It was very simple, you made it very complicated. Try this: Multiple choice. A) Monohull B) Multi-Hull

Remember, we are advising a novice regarding seaworthness...

RT
Define "seaworthness" Also, Remember that the OP is Catholic
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2012, 21:18   #64

Boat: never wrecked a boat while awake or sober

I would prefer a good tri to a fin keel monohull, and I am the gaff double ender guy!
bruce smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 00:26   #65

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtcapo View Post
I think you are avoiding the question...

RT
No I'm trying to put the relevance of the question in to perspective.

Every year many multihulls circumnavigate the world in perfect safety and comfort. If multihulls are what does it for you, go for a multihull.

And a double ended long keeler might have been the best sea worthy design Colin Archer came up with, but a lot has happened since. Archer put long keels on his boats because he couldn't even consider short keels. Now with modern materials and engineering things are different.

Given the attention Steve Dashew puts in to the stability and storm survivability of his designs I would say that a Sundeer would be a better boat to be caught in a hurricane with than a Westsail...

And James Wharram seems to believe his multihulls can cope with the worst storms too. And there are quite a few of his designs out their proving it.
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 06:11   #66
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
Define "seaworthness" Also, Remember that the OP is Catholic
To answer your question I looked up seaworthiness and came across this interesting link: Multihull Design Considerations for Seaworthiness

Based on his analysis the latest generation of cat's and tri's rival the stability of monohulls.

Who knew?

RT
PS If you learn something new each day you are accomplishing something. The problem is to put it into practice. Being old school I just can't imagine going across the pond without a lot lead under me.
PPS BTW I am a recovering Catholic. Now that's a cross to bare....
Old 31-07-2012, 07:38   #67

Boat: OEM, proportional

Are there any multihulls that will self-right after a capsise, faster than a mono?

Are there any multihulls that will self-right at all, after a capsise?

How far over can a multi go before she goes mast down?

All moot questions, until the OP gets some sailing time and does a whole lot of research. Whatever the choice ends up to be, fair winds and a friendly sea!
Old 31-07-2012, 10:53   #68

Those are not moot questions, they are the definition of leading questions. Are there any monos that dont sink when one hull gets filled with water? Any Monos that can keep up with a comparable multi to simply avoid weather?

Is there a "safe" 35' multi that you can buy for the $6,000 I got my steel double ender? My boat's "safe" but I'm under no illusions that a well outfitted Multi would be "safe" too and a helluva lot more betterer.

The OP has a budget of about 20k, so this whole discussion is completely pointless. It's going to be a mono with a fiberglass hull, unless he gets extremely lucky and finds a deal out there.
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:46   #69
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
Those are not moot questions, they are the definition of leading questions. Are there any monos that dont sink when one hull gets filled with water? Any Monos that can keep up with a comparable multi to simply avoid weather?

Is there a "safe" 35' multi that you can buy for the $6,000 I got my steel double ender? My boat's "safe" but I'm under no illusions that a well outfitted Multi would be "safe" too and a helluva lot more betterer.

The OP has a budget of about 20k, so this whole discussion is completely pointless. It's going to be a mono with a fiberglass hull, unless he gets extremely lucky and finds a deal out there.
The deals ARE out there. It is a buyers market and I got my fiberglass 37' Slocum double ender for under 30K.

As far as this discussion being pointless you'd have to ask the OP. I would assume him being a novice he got a lot out of it.

RT
Old 01-08-2012, 06:47   #70

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Since I'm not going around the cape in the next few months, using extreme example to make a point is pointless.

I keep hearing how a faster sailboat will "outrun" a storm, maybe you'll get to port 1/2 hour ahead of me. But out running a storm traveling 30+ MPH ????

For what most of us will do, (a six month trip to Aruba), a cat is very handy being able to anchor within wading distance of the beach. I'm not sure I will pay twice as much for the priviledge, (a good dinghy is much cheaper), but no heeling under full sail is nice and comfortable.

Flipping when hit by a sudden gust, as opposed to getting knocked down, and rounding up, kinda outweighs the convenience for me with MY level of expertise.

Obviously a fairly rare event, and even more rare, if you are sure to not carry full sail when high winds are predicted, or in the area.

Or if your reflexes can dump the main, or turn to, before the boat reaches that point. You actually have a second or two, even on a Hobie cat, before you realise, "if I don't do something, my sails are going to get rinsed". I imagine you have even more time on a bigger boat.

A few stories of Cats caught in a hurricane, and how they faired may put some perspective.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:58   #71

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

One of the things to remember is that what is important is how safe you are in a storm, not how safe the boat is.

A multihull will not right itself from a capsize. However it will usually stay afloat, and there are designers that have made provisions for staying on board when the boat is inverted.
So in the worst case you are somewhat uncomfortable until you get picked up.

Since getting caught in a hurricane is not what most people plan to do I'd say this makes some multihulls perfectly suitable for blue water cruising.
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:19   #72

Boat: never wrecked a boat while awake or sober

Fast Boats DO out run Hurricanes . Otherwise, MANY of our modern boats would be killing lots of people.
One outruns a 30 mph train by getting off the track, not by running 31 mph.
Anyway , 30 mph is very very fast for a storm, more usual is 5 or 15.
But with global cooling or whatever, storms are becoming crazy in their track. They are not always behaving like they are supposed to. Bad, bad hurricane.
bruce smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:30   #73

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

True, and the best way to outrun a hurricane is to be on the other side of the equator during the season.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:50   #74
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Lotsa great opinions here but no facts. If you want facts you go to the insurance companies and their stats show the multi just slightly more seaworthy than a mono. The surprising stat is they show you have many times the risk of dying on a mono as compared to a multi. Must be the sinking vs. the upside down and floating thing.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:53   #75

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Lotsa great opinions here but no facts. If you want facts you go to the insurance companies and their stats show the multi just slightly more seaworthy than a mono. The surprising stat is they show you have many times the risk of dying on a mono as compared to a multi. Must be the sinking vs. the upside down and floating thing.
And where are those facts? Have a link?

Tags
hull