Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-12-2014, 10:37   #106

Boat: Down East 45, Brigantine
Re: What's the best modern freezer unit?

Continuing with this saga: I have now fitted two layers of 2” thick high density polyurethane foam, (silver foil on one side), to the three exposed sides of the ice box. I was very careful with this and made sure it fitted as tightly as possible. There were a few small areas which I couldn’t get to, which I filled with aerosol foam.
Tests, the same as before the insulation was fitted, resulted in the 16Lbs ice bag lasting twice as long as previously, and lowering the temperature to 40 degrees for one day.
I am now looking for a 12 volt air cooled freezer unit, which should include two 15” x 15” x ½” holding plates, (or similar custom size), to be mounted either side on the inside of the box.
I really feel as though I’m getting there, but I would greatly appreciate anyone with a similar working set-up advising their make and model. I want to get it all installed by the end of January.

Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 10:53   #107
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
Continuing with this saga: I have now fitted two layers of 2” thick high density polyurethane foam, (silver foil on one side), to the three exposed sides of the ice box. I was very careful with this and made sure it fitted as tightly as possible. There were a few small areas which I couldn’t get to, which I filled with aerosol foam.
Tests, the same as before the insulation was fitted, resulted in the 16Lbs ice bag lasting twice as long as previously, and lowering the temperature to 40 degrees for one day.
I am now looking for a 12 volt air cooled freezer unit, which should include two 15” x 15” x ½” holding plates, (or similar custom size), to be mounted either side on the inside of the box.
I really feel as though I’m getting there, but I would greatly appreciate anyone with a similar working set-up advising their make and model. I want to get it all installed by the end of January.
I have had my Frigoboat installed and working for about 8 months and have been very happy with it. Aircooled version only. My box is total 9-10 cu ft including the freezer box formed by the evaporator plates which a bit under 2 cu ft. I got the model with the BD-50 compressor and the largest, box shaped evaporator.

I have read comments that the o-ring seals on the connectors can degrade over a few years resulting in a leak of the refrigerant so that might be a consideration. If I understand correctly, you can disconnect the fittings to replace the O-rings without losing refrigerant so perhaps an occasional redo would eliminate that as a concern.

Old 19-12-2014, 11:03   #108

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

Most marine fridge companies use the same basic components - the most important being the compressor - Danfoss. The evaporator plates or holding plates may be a bit different from company to company as well as the lines and connectors.

Why are you looking for 2 holding plates?
Old 19-12-2014, 11:08   #109
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyoldboatguy View Post
Why are you looking for 2 holding plates?
I didn't notice that comment in the OP. I agree. Why two holding plates. From my research they are of benefit mainly in a system where you periodically have lots of extra power. For example someone that runs the motor for a couple of hours daily for charging, water maker, etc. Otherwise straight evaporator is reported to be more energy efficient.
Old 19-12-2014, 11:10   #110

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
Best reefer/freezer system I have installed is Frigoboat with keel cooler.

3" of insulation is inadequate.
+1

I refitted a Frigoboat to my last boat. The results were very good and the boat was also much cooler inside.

GL
Old 19-12-2014, 11:20   #111

I am on a learning curve with respect to much of this. My understanding is that holding plates are compatible with high output water makers (and other high draw equipment - battery charging, etc) when both are powered by a generator. Running the auxiliary engine for this purpose is problematic for the engine long term.

The evaporator plates are compatible with the lower output water makers since they can be more easily handled by wind and solar generation equipment.

But perhaps this is a smaller unit and the OP wants to jam as much cool into the holding plates while doing other stuff.

Maybe he'll add his .02
Old 19-12-2014, 11:21   #112

If you look at the drawing I submitted earlier you will see I only have a 12” square lid opening to work through. I can get a 15” square x ½” thick plate through the gap but not a much thicker single plate. So I thought of having two, one each side.
I was told it was more efficient anyway, a bit like standing in front of a fire, where your front gets warmed but not your back.
Old 19-12-2014, 11:25   #113

Just a minute chaps! What's the difference between an evaporator plate and a holding plate? I thought they were the same thing, just a different name.
Correction if I'm wrong please.
Old 19-12-2014, 11:28   #114

Boat: Freya 39 cutter- Terra Nova

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyoldboatguy View Post
...holding plates are compatible with high output water makers...
evaporator plates are compatible with the lower output water makers...
What!? does holding plates have to do with water-makers?
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 11:33   #115
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Just a minute chaps! What's the difference between an evaporator plate and a holding plate? I thought they were the same thing, just a different name.
Correction if I'm wrong please.
Plain evaporator would be just a thin plate with channels or tubes where the refrigerant evaporates and directly cools the box.

Holding plate is a fat container that holds a eutectic solution (in simplified terms, antifreeze) that you cool down the solution that will store the cold to cool the box over time.
Old 19-12-2014, 11:40   #116
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
What!? does holding plates have to do with water-makers?
Relating power use for two devices. If one had a high output IE high power draw water maker and would be running engine or generator anyway for the water maker then it might make more sense to install a fridge with holding plates to cool down quickly while making water and then run on the cold stored for the rest of the day/night.

Running a low power water maker then might be a better fit to install a fridge that uses lower power over longer time like the water maker.

So trying to match similar power usage for two devices.
Old 19-12-2014, 11:44   #117

Skipmac perhaps explained it better than I did. Thanks Jolly Roger for reminding us. Makes perfect sense to use the 2 holding plates if you can't get a big one in there.

Chestnuts freezing by the open plate........doesn't work as well as the original.
Old 19-12-2014, 11:52   #118
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
If you look at the drawing I submitted earlier you will see I only have a 12” square lid opening to work through. I can get a 15” square x ½” thick plate through the gap but not a much thicker single plate. So I thought of having two, one each side.
I was told it was more efficient anyway, a bit like standing in front of a fire, where your front gets warmed but not your back.
Since you have a small access hole you might consider one of the fold it yourself aluminum plate evaporators. I know Frigoboat makes one and certainly others must as well.

You just buy the appropriate sized flat plate for your compressor and box and fold it to whatever shape you like. An box shape (rectangle open on both ends), U or L shapes are common options.
Old 19-12-2014, 11:57   #119
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
DISCLAIMER. I am not an expert on this detail and am just tossing out some comments that I may not clearly understand.

I would consult very carefully with the vendor before installing two plates in series. Two reasons that may apply. First, compressors and evaporator plates need to be matched in capacity and you may over or under load the compressor, both are not good.

Second and here I'm guessing, there might be some issues with moving the refrigerant between two plates with their two capillary tubes???
Old 19-12-2014, 12:15   #120

Boat: Freya 39 cutter- Terra Nova

Reefer/freezers that I have built with Frigoboat keel coolers have used about 1 amp/hour. This should not require any special generator or watermaker gymnastics.

Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freezer

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: