Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 17-10-2014, 13:38   #76

Boat: Freya 39 cutter- Terra Nova
Re: What's the best modern freezer unit?

Is that heat from an incandescent or LED "bulb"?

Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 13:56   #77

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
What's the best modern freezer unit?

40W LED would be some kind of bulb. I know of a 35W LED used for cave diving, driver has to be water cooled, way brighter than a car headlight
http://uwlightdude.com/product/ld-35/

Old 17-10-2014, 14:10   #78

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

Terrier Nova ......

When you don't have the facts on your side argue the minutae. When you don't have the minutae on your side, argue the facts. When you don't even have facts OR minutae on your side, just argue.

=== Do you really not understand the amount of BTU's provided by tropical sunshine that your boat is exposed to in a day is larger by a factor of thousands compared to the BTU's provided by that tiny compressor under his floorboards, adjacent to a surface that will always be within a degree or two of the outside ocean temperature, no matter how much he runs his compressor? ===

Score!!!!!!

Old 17-10-2014, 14:40   #79
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
Is that heat from an incandescent or LED "bulb"?
Based my comments on the worst case scenario IE the one that makes the most heat, the incandescent.
Old 28-10-2014, 05:37   #80

Boat: Down East 45, Brigantine

I finally got round to trying to explore the way my ice box is made. I removed the Corrian counter top and began sawing into the top of the icebox, to try to inspect the insulation.
As any owner of a Down East boat will tell you, these vessels were made like Sherman Tanks, which probably accounts for the company going bust after only eight years.
After hacking through an inch and a half of glassfibre and ply, (this is the galley counter top we’re talking about, not the side of the hull!!), and still not reaching any insulation, I realized there was no way I could remove the whole top. So I drilled some ½” holes through the rest of the top and finally stuck foam. Picture A shows the mess.
The drawings show the amount of space between the internal box and the enclosure sides. As you can see it ain’t much!
I therefore think the only way to increase the thickness is by padding the inside of the box and maybe also the outside of the enclosure on the three sides I can get to. Paul L mentions this method and I wonder if it would work for me?
Therefore please forgive the naive questions, from someone who has never done anything like this before.
1. Can I buy 1” thick sheets of high quality insulation material and bond it to the inside of the box, then clad it with plastic or glass fibre sheet and seal the joints, to make a watertight false inner box?
2. Will it be worth doing the same on the three outer sides or the enclosure, which I can get to easily? The outer enclosure is ¾” ply and ¼” glass fibre.
This would increase the thickness by 2” on all four sides.
The box is 30” deep, much too deep for us to reach the bottom. So I would also propose to fill the bottom with 13” of insulation up to the lip, then seal it to the new sides.
In addition I could drill holes in the sides and top of the existing enclosure and squirt some expanding foam into any open crevices in the cavity.
We would loose about 1.5 cu ft doing all this, but it still leaves about 2.5 cu ft, which my wife reckons she can live with as a pure freezer.
I can’t think of any other way to increase the insulation thickness, and would very much welcome constructive comments as to it’s validity.
Also, where could I get 1” insulation, and what is be the best type to buy for this application?
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 06:33   #81
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Should work just fine to add insulation on the inside of the box but I would be sure to seal it very well. You can buy 4X8 sheets of fiberglass at Home Depot, cut to fit and glue to the insulation to make a new box liner. Just make sure to seal all the edges and seams with epoxy.

I used Dow blueboard polystyrene but I if you can get polyurethane I believe it has a slightly higher R value. I liked the blue board because I think it will be the most resistant to absorbing moisture over time. Did not find 1" but comes in 1/2 and 3/4" thickness.

Assume you know to be very, very careful spraying or pouring expandable foam into closed areas? The pressure buildup can be considerable and could easily crack the sides of the cabinets.
Old 28-10-2014, 06:47   #82

Thanks Skipmac: but what about a layer or two on the outside of the enclosure on the three get-at-able sides as well? Wouldn’t this also increase the insulation value? What kind of glue is best used to bond the insulation to the inside of the existing box?
Old 28-10-2014, 06:56   #83
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

The Waeco Adler-Barbour CU-200 "The Super Cold Machine" has a rating of 650 BTU/HR (when actually operating).

Typical BTU heat load per person is 200 - 1,000 BTU/Hour, with 400 being a typical worker, and 1,000 for sporting activities.

Assuming your refer runs 50% of the time (averaging 325 BTU/Hr over a full day), it’s daily heat contribution is roughly equivalent to that of a single person.

Sunlight reaching the earth's surface transports about 450 BTU/Hr per square foot.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 07:14   #84
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
Thanks Skipmac: but what about a layer or two on the outside of the enclosure on the three get-at-able sides as well? Wouldn’t this also increase the insulation value? What kind of glue is best used to bond the insulation to the inside of the existing box?
Ideal for polystyrene or polyurethane foam boards is 4" for refrigerator sections and 6" for a freezer so I think in your case more is better.

However if I understand your plan there may be a gap between the cabinet walls around the inner refrigerator box and the three sides of the cabinet where you would add the additional insulation on the outside. If there is an air gap there you could get condensation in the empty space which could wet the insulation, lower the R value and possibly rot any exposed wood sections. If you are able to fill that space with a pour in or spray in foam that should answer that concern.
Old 28-10-2014, 07:17   #85
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Oh forgot the glue question. With polystyrene use glue or adhesive that is NOT solvent based. Most solvents will melt it to a puddle.

I used 5200 (since I never, never want to take apart the sheets of insulation) or epoxy depending on the area I was working on.
Old 28-10-2014, 07:26   #86

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
The Waeco Adler-Barbour CU-200 "The Super Cold Machine" has a rating of 650 BTU/HR (when actually operating).

Typical BTU heat load per person is 200 - 1,000 BTU/Hour, with 400 being a typical worker, and 1,000 for sporting activities.

Assuming your refer runs 50% of the time (averaging 325 BTU/Hr over a full day), it’s daily heat contribution is roughly equivalent to that of a single person.

Sunlight reaching the earth's surface transports about 450 BTU/Hr per square foot.

That is excellent, really puts it in perspective. How the heck did you think of this though, you worry me
Old 28-10-2014, 07:50   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
However if I understand your plan there may be a gap between the cabinet walls around the inner refrigerator box and the three sides of the cabinet.
The gap is filled with existing insulation, which I would propose to supplement through exploration holes drilled in the sides, before gluing panels to the outside.
Old 28-10-2014, 07:57   #88
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
The gap is filled with existing insulation, which I would propose to supplement through exploration holes drilled in the sides, before gluing panels to the outside.
If the gap is filled and the insulation is dry (urethane foam can absorb a lot of moisture over time) then my guess is you're probably OK but I would check it out. I was assuming the gap in my fridge between the inner fiberglass box and the cabinet sides was filled with insulation. When I removed the box I found 1-2" sprayed on the outside of the fiberglass in most places (the gap was 2") and nothing at all in a number of spots.

No wonder the old compressor ran continuously.
Old 28-10-2014, 08:01   #89

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

A very good low cost high R insulation is Polyiso which can be bought @ Home Depot in 1" thick panels. Has a higher R value than Blueboard and is quite hydrophobic.
Old 28-10-2014, 08:24   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
If the gap is filled and the insulation is dry (urethane foam can absorb a lot of moisture over time) then my guess is you're probably OK but I would check it out.
When I drilled into the cavity the foam definitely came out dry on the drill tip. When I replaced the chain-plates last year I also dug into the back of the insulation where it meets the hull, and that was also dry foam.
After taking most of this boat to pieces over the past four years I am pretty sure they would have done a 110% job of the insulation—even though it is a thin cavity—always intended only as an ice box.
The design of many things was very old fashioned, but I can’t fault them for workmanship or overbuild. You could build three modern sailboats with the teak put into this baby.
It’s not going to be an easy job anyhow, because the opening in the top is only 11” square.
This is why I want to try to cross the tee’s and dot the i’s with experienced members before I even start.
Will filling the bottom 12” with foam help, on the basis that cold air sinks?

Tags
freezer

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: