Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2018, 19:36   #1

What's the best boatyard in The Carolinas?

Hello I'm on a Tartan 34 cruising south from Baltimore. I've used boatyard in MD NC and FL I know there is a wide spectrum to the boatyard with workers, timely launches, and facilities. I'm currently in Oriental for a captains course. I plan on hauling out around Memorial Day until after Christmas. I would like everyone to weigh in on thier favorite boatyards in the Carolinas. Things that are important to me are showers available at the yard. Proximity to west marine and Home Depot or alike. A yard that likes and encourages work done by skippers. The last boatyard I used wouldn't let me scrape the bottom before putting bottom paint on. So I'd like to scrape to get rid of some longtime barnacles. Hopefully located near the ICW, but not a necessity. And a friendly yard ownerwould be a plus. Thanks in advance
gravitycadet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 20:10   #2

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: What's the best boatyard in The Carolinas?

It depends. There are a lot of variables depending on what other services you want from the yard when you need their help.

Deaton’s right there in Oriental is s really good yard, particularly for mechanical and rigging work. But, they have just one shower and as you now know the nearest Lowe’s is 40’minutes away. Sailcraft across the creek was just sold and is rebuilding its services.

I’ve found that the further a yard is from civilization the less expensive and more accommodating it is, but at the expense of having less well trained personnel and obviously access to lots of stores and services.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:48   #3

Thanks for the reply, I did want to clarify that although I'm in oriental now I'm not bound to there. After my course I'll probably be southbound a bit so I have options to pick anywhere in the Carolinas. I've used a boatyard in Hampstead but there is no showers there. It wasn't a problem for me then because I was staying at my brothers house who used to live near Wilmington
gravitycadet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 11:13   #4

Boat: 2000 Jeanneau, 45.2

I've recently used Deaton for bottom paint and some teak refinishing. Eric is the guy running the yard work. Very happy and will return there next time I need work when cruising up/down the coast on the AICW. You can also do work yourself. Be aware, if you have more than a 6' draft, the channel off the sound into the creek can be problematic. Deaton is also a Tow Boat US tower .... hmmm
Jeanneau 45.2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat