Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2019, 11:58   #1

What's the best 15 footers or less to learn on?

I'm new to sailing and took the US Sail Keel certification course and exam but I still need to hone my skills a lot.

There will be myself and my girlfriend in the boat and I'm big. 6'4 220 pds.
Also, not looking to have to wear a wetsuit everytime I sail or be hanging off the side of it.

I'm looking to spend less than $5,000 on a used one.
The boats I have in mind are:

Catalina Capri 14.2 with Jib
Vanguard 15
American 14.6
Hunter 146

Is the Hunter junk? I've read a lot of bad things about hunter but I'm not sure at this level of boat if they're quality matters as much except for resale value.

Any other recommendations?
sailingin2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2019, 12:16   #2

Boat: Hunter 170
Re: What's the best 15 footers or less to learn on?

None of the above. I initially started looking at those smaller boats. I was quickly told by experienced guys I am too big to be comfy.

The booms are too low.
Look for a 17-18' boat. I have a Hunter 170 and I am 6' 6" and can sit under the boom.

For the price and depending on where you sail, getting something like a 22' boat and keeping in the water would be a better choice. Setting up the mast takes time.
ShoreFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2019, 13:01   #3

Thanks, but I live in NYC and I'll only be sailing it in Ponds and small lakes around my girlfriend's parents house in northern Connecticut. So I need something easily trailerable and nimble.
Old 30-07-2019, 13:03   #4

*Hunter 17 is a good idea after looking it up. Somewhat nimble and versatile.
Old 31-07-2019, 08:05   #5

Boat: Morgan 384/ 1982

If you can find a Old O'Day Daysailler designed by uffa fox. There is a Daysailor race all over the usa bases in Washington state . They race all over the country .
I did teach sailing on that model boat at our last YC I think there were 5 of them.
Once you learn on a small boat that larger is easier but never vice versa !
stnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 08:19   #6

Boat: Outbound 46

When we faced the same issue, many years ago, we chose a Flying Scot. 19' but easy to trailer. It's roomy enough for three adults, even tall ones, sails well, but is very dry.

There are lots of used Scots on the market, you should be able to find one in your price range.
DMCantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 08:23   #7

Here ya go.

https://newhaven.craigslist.org/boa/...943765014.html
Pete17C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 08:25   #8

Check out a Compac 16.
ffiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 08:38   #9

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

West wright potter.

Keep in mind all of those boats listed in OP can and probably will capsize
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 08:43   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete17C View Post
I have the Catalina Capri 14.2 with Jib (roller furling, no less).

I would purchase any of the boats you mention (or this one listed if it's close enough to you) for fun small lake/pond, learn-to-sail boat.

You're not racing, you're probably going to get wet once or twice, but sailing these little boats is basically the same regardless of the boat.

Buy one, go sail it as long as you want to and then if your not interested or you're ready to move up, you can sell it probably for the price you paid for it. They don't seem to drop in asking price.

They are fun.
leboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 08:51   #11

Quote: "...I still need to hone my skills a lot."

What, precisely, are the skills you need to hone?

Dinghies, even "dinghies with a deck", such as the boats you've mention will teach you a great deal about racing, but very little about cruising, so what you are proposing to do will take you in the wrong direction if it is cruising that is your future goal. Even something as basic as trimming sail is done differently in a dinghy from what it is in a cruiser.

Unless you intend to participate in formal dinchy racing it really doesn't matter what kind of dinghy you get. But as you live in NYC I would think, knowing nothing about that city, that there must be dozens of sailing clubs close to your domicile, and that many of them have dinghy sailing programmes relying on the most common dinghies used in racing these days. One such is the "470" detuned and called a "420", but there are many others in use. Personally I have taught some hundreds of university students on the famous, but now obsolete, "Enterprise" by Jack Holt. Here is a list of Holt's designs, all of them very good. The "Mirror" is in widespred use.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_H...inghy_designer)

A more sophisticated dinghy that the keenest of the keen if fact DO go cruising in (even as far as all around the UK and from Scotland to Norway), is Ian Proctor's "Wayfarer":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayfarer_(dinghy)

Had I still been a young whipper-snapper of, say, 60, instead of the old geezer I am, I should have myself a Wayfarer. It is, quite simply, a wonderful "halfway house" twixt the pure racing dinghy and the smaller cruising boats.

Do take the time to google for the boats I've mentioned here, and for the ones that will pop up serendipitously in you googling. You will learn far more that way than by simply asking us, especially now that you've been pointed in the right direction.

You should know also that there is no need to BUY a dinghy. All good sailing clubs maintain dinghies for their teaching programmes, and as a club member you can hire these dinghies for a modest fee when they are not engaged in the teaching programme or in racing.

All the best,
TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 08:51   #12

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

Find a copy of the Glenans Sailing School book and just go sailing. Whether in a sailing dingy or a hobie-cat, the wind and water are the same.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 09:06   #13

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

I learned to sail on a US1. (15 ft & cheap used) No jib on the design, but it's great for getting the basics of sailing principals, and also weight distribution & trim down. Good bit of room on it too.

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/us1

Here's something a little bigger, PLUS, has a jib-

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/sweet-sixteen
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 09:17   #14

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

1 foot more gets you onto a Hobie 16. Its actually not the ideal boat to learn on, but it is fast fun cheap & trailerable!
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 09:24   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by leboyd View Post
I have the Catalina Capri 14.2 with Jib (roller furling, no less).

I would purchase any of the boats you mention (or this one listed if it's close enough to you) for fun small lake/pond, learn-to-sail boat.

You're not racing, you're probably going to get wet once or twice, but sailing these little boats is basically the same regardless of the boat.

Buy one, go sail it as long as you want to and then if your not interested or you're ready to move up, you can sell it probably for the price you paid for it. They don't seem to drop in asking price.

They are fun.
Thanks. Good Advice. I will be on ponds and very small lakes. I'm okay if I get wet. I'm looking for ease of use (Trailering, set-up, etc.) so I can get lot of practice in. Need smaller for storage as well since I'll be trailering it back and forth.