Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2016, 08:05   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: What's A Cruiser?

I enjoy sailing, had much rather sail than motor, I'm actually beginning to have a hate relationship with the motor.
Which is funny as power is my background, I'm a very good mechanic, the Yanmar has been nothing but reliable. All my experience is under power.

I too became a Sailor to be a cruiser, if I had the finances, I would be in a big Nordhaven or similar, no doubt, but my boat just acts and rides and is so much more pleasant under sail, we don't even mind the heeling, but she doesn't heel much either.

I'm a cruiser wanna be, one yr left, then we go when we get the youngest in College. I'm pushing her towards Brunswick Ga, nice school she seems to like it, but there is a nice Marina nearby

You know cruisers when they come through my Marina, the ground tackle and they way the boat is equipped gives them away, and often the amount of "stuff" on deck, they are usually, older boats, a lot of Morgan OI's and the like, most of the time dinghies in Davits and Solar.
They are markedly different boats than people who cruise, but do so from one Marina to the other. Even the powerboats that are on the great loop are seemingly very distinctly two different kinds, the kind that overnights in marinas and the kind that anchor, and they are usually equipped differently.
So I guess even among cruisers, there are distinctly different types?

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2016, 08:12   #17

Boat: a sailing boat

To me, it seems a mindset thing. One I do not have nor share, voluntarily. Not to say I do not find myself cruising when I can't be out sailing.

Can be done in any boat. Go out to cruise, see places, meet people, impress others, tick it off, whatever.

Probably one of the most benevolent pastimes, I guess.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2016, 09:34   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
As Neko says, there's rarely a time when something doesn't need fixing, or changing, or upgrading, on a cruising boat. I often like to get off to a remote anchorage just so I can focus on getting work done. Then there's endless exploring to be done, or learning about where you are. But I also like to just kick back and do nothing. Relaxing in my cockpit or on a beach while sipping coffee or wine is just great. I can just soaking up the surroundings or reading a good book for hours, days, weeks. I like to be still.

It's an interesting question about temperament and suitability to the cruising life. Some people need to being doing something all the time. They need events, projects, plans and people. They just can't be still. Perhaps it's an introvert/extrovert thing, but I honestly don't know how people-who-must-be-busy-all-the-time manage to cruise. I've sailed with folk like this, and I find it exhausting

LOL the one thing I DON"T need is people! I generally prefer the company of my dogs. They smell better and are less irritating!
Different strokes for different folks.
As long as people are sailing I'm happy for them, however they go about it.
Siberianhusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2016, 10:50   #19

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberianhusky View Post
Interesting, I'm a sailor who is going live aboard/cruiser in a couple years.
My biggest fear is what to do when I'm not sailing.
I honestly come to a big mental block about what to do at anchor in paradise, to be honest it kind of sounds boring as hell!
I think I'm more into the challenge of getting to these places, could see me doing some repairs, re-stocking the boat and leaving in a few days.
My idea of a winter vacation is going ice climbing in the Rockies, not sitting on a beach.
Guess I'm planning on continuing being a sailor, just going to farther away places.
Oh ya this will all be done solo.
Well first you have not done it so if you close your mind it will be boring -- in 8+ years we have not been bored for long. So your prejudging is kinda silly I think
I use to do the ice/rock/big mountain climbing and yea it was great -- but this life is also great and to tell the truth at age 70 I prefer not to do that high angle stuff any more
SO if you do not keep and open mind stay the heck home because you will not enjoy it out here.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2016, 11:15   #20
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

if ye fear inactivity or boredom at anchor, perhaps the iditerod might be more fun for you.

i found there is always something to do when anchored. it is a good lifestyle.
there is a high fail percent--from what i have seen, from failure top remain or even start being flexible. must be able to think outside the box to keep boats floating, comfy and safe, as well as finding things to keep boredom away. personally, i have never been bored in my life. i find stuff to do and think about and repair and explore.
prejudging works not for lifestyles nor people.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2016, 11:56   #21

Boat: Freedom 38

I am three months into a refit that was expecting to take 4-5 weeks, at most. Every day I can't sail is another cut deep into my soul. I personally can't contemplate how anyone can live on a boat and not sail as often as they can -- and there are plenty all around me in one of the most beautiful bays to sail year round. It takes all kinds of sailors/cruisers/racers/newbies and wannabees to make the world such an interesting place.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2016, 12:12   #22

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
So I guess even among cruisers, there are distinctly different types?

Given your experience on cruisers forum, do you doubt this?

Social ones, loners, diyers and wallet openers.....those who sail to sail and those that sail to see the world.

I think I have about 10 motivations. Which motivation is the most dominant is stictly governed by my current needs.

But no, I could not be strictly a day sailor. If I am on a boat, I want go somewhere. If I am sailing, I want to be reasonably good at it. (that means arriving intact, leaving live bodies in my wake and a whole boat under me)
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2016, 13:11   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
Well first you have not done it so if you close your mind it will be boring -- in 8+ years we have not been bored for long. So your prejudging is kinda silly I think
I use to do the ice/rock/big mountain climbing and yea it was great -- but this life is also great and to tell the truth at age 70 I prefer not to do that high angle stuff any more
SO if you do not keep and open mind stay the heck home because you will not enjoy it out here.

Got it no problem, my lifestyle doesn't suit you so I will stay home.
Exactly who has the closed mind here, I don't like sitting around so I'm wrong?
I never once said anything about not staying long enough for a weather window, repairs or re-provisioning, who says I have to sit around for anything else? You?
I am a doer, I enjoy being active, but I have no issues waiting if there is a valid reason to.
Hell I've spent 3 weeks in a tent on a glacier waiting for an weather window to do a climb. Only thing to do was melt drinking water!
I'll be honest if I waited as long as you to leave I'd probably be happy enough doing nothing as well! Hard to be bored when taking a dump is an accomplishment!
Siberianhusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2016, 14:03   #24
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

cruisers will argue about anything
Old 22-05-2016, 14:14   #25

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Don't much care for labels. Take your pick as that is your business.

I live on the boat full time. I have done many hundreds of day sails (I call it practice). Often take people for their first sailboat ride. And I travel (wander up and down) the US Gulf coast from place to place and stay for a while. Sometimes a week, or a month or several months. When the notion strikes me, and the wind is right, I sail on. Always go offshore and never motor bar unforseen circumstances.

For those that see no value in daysailing. I cruised with a couple on a westerly for a few months last year, but knew them for a year before that. They never daysailed, were only the gotta be going somewhere type. And had almost yet to be going anywhere when we headed out. And only had sailed the boat once or twice without me onboard as well.

After a half dozen offshore hops including three overnighters they got the hang of it, mostly. A good bit of the tension between them may have been lessened by a healthy dose of daysailing before setting out. The opportunity was present but not taken.

Now they have been in the Keys for many months, and have taken the boat out once I think. Soon they will continue their travels. A few days ago they passed through my area by car and stopped for a good catchup conversation. Clearly there was some apprehension about the journey ahead.

I think they just need more time on the water. They are competent, just need more "practice". But I said nothing to them as my role as advisor ended last year when we sailed in different directions.

Day sails, coastal hops, long passages, living at anchor, ... it's all good and good for you.
Old 22-05-2016, 14:23   #26
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
cruisers will argue about anything

people will argue about anything whether they agree or not.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2016, 14:37   #27
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
people will argue about anything whether they agree or not.
That's total B.S.

Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2016, 14:45   #28
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
That's total B.S.

no it's not!!!!
Old 22-05-2016, 15:08   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I love to spend the day sailing and finish the day where we started.
I enjoy motoring all day.
I enjoy breaking an inlet an setting anchor without the engine.
I enjoy sailing and motoring for three months to make only 1,800 miles.
I enjoy taking the boat downtown to a restaurant dock.
I enjoy months at the marina dock.
I enjoy months anchored out.
I enjoy a night watch.
I enjoy DIY maintenance.
I enjoy having my boat as my only home.
I enjoy leaving my boat and spending a couple weeks on a cruise ship.
I enjoy wind surfing and kayaking.
I enjoy bicycling for supplies.

I am a cruiser and a sailor and a liveaboard
Old 22-05-2016, 15:24   #30

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

To me, "cruising" is living. It is a lifestyle change, characterized by some travel, and some "fixin'", like zeehag wrote. It is not a thing. It is an expression of one's personality.

It being an expression of people's personalities, people cruise differently, and A64pilot's observations are absolutely correct: some people do cruise marina to marina, and tend to have less adequate anchoring gear; other people prefer less populous places and to anchor out, to be independent for their electrical needs. Some people like night clubs and city life, some to anchor out and sit around a beach fire, and others somewhere in between. Some like visiting places they've never been before, and not coming back to the same place all the time. There must be unlimited variations on the cruising theme.

It can be a lifestyle characterized by a number of freedoms. Some are drawn to it by a desire to visit a region they've heard about one way or another, using their own boat -- these are sailors with a dream involving their boat. The boats vary considerably, even here on CF you see this: upper end we have Jedi, full time cruiser, and maybe Bulawayo fits here, too; we have Dockhead and noelex and Sea Worthy Lass, who cruise and do other stuff--and how fascinating is the build of their new boat!--; and we have experienced, lower bucks cruisers, SailorChic34 and zeehag come to mind, for the women, and Hudson Force, who also manage to keep costs down. All these variations reflections not only of personality but also of circumstances.

Zeehag mentioned flexibility as being an important personality trait for the cruiser, and I would add mechanical ability, and (also as mentioned above) the ability to invent solutions to problems with the boat, on the go, with whatever you have to hand. The inability to do repairs negatively impacts new cruisers' lives when they don't understand their refrigeration, or their engines, etc. It's less fun to be unable to move at your whim, and wait on marine services providers who often don't deliver on time, which is common. Sometimes it ruins their cruise, for which they planned and spent. Cruising isn't for everyone.

Ann

On edit: Hudson, lovely, yes, enjoying whatever you're up to is a beautiful trait!

Tags
cruise, cruiser