Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2016, 19:27   #46

Re: What would you suggest for a learning boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
There's nothing wrong with the Vagabond, but i wouldn't start there. I would start by figuring out what boats are sailed locally, either the nearby lake, near home, etc. there is some small two person dinghy that is locally raced. Pretty much whatever that boat is I would recommend, unless it is something really silly like a Fish Boat. It means there will be easy support, a built in knowledge base, and it will be easy to both find good boats used, and if you choose to, sell it down the road.
This is a strategery that makes a lot of sense. I seriously doubt that there is any racing in Matagorda Bay other than fisherman to the convenience store for ice and beer. But there is Kemah which is only 2 1/2 hours or so.

Anybody have any ideas where there is a dinghy racing scene around Victoria? Houston/Galveston/ Kemah? Then there are the lakes around SA and Austin?
Michaeloh59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 19:30   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaeloh59 View Post
This is a strategery that makes a lot of sense. I seriously doubt that there is any racing in Matagorda Bay other than fisherman to the convenience store for ice and beer. But there is Kemah which is only 2 1/2 hours or so.

Anybody have any ideas where there is a dinghy racing scene around Victoria? Houston/Galveston/ Kemah? Then there are the lakes around SA and Austin?
Never mind.
Wednesday Night Sailboat Races on Clear Lake!!
Old 25-07-2016, 19:37   #48

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

Try West Coast Trailer Sailing Squadron -Florida

Google is your friend.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 19:44   #49
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

A BIG negative for the Sunfish. Horrible boat to deal with.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 19:59   #50

Boat: Vagabond 14

Quote:
So other than the time to rig/breakdown 5 min vs 15 min do you have any thoughts on sunfish vs Vagabond14? I.e. The sunfish is not a sloop so I would assume one could learn more advanced sailing on the Vagabond14?

Note that these are example boats... to show that rigging at the boat ramp or beach can be fast.

Sunfish and similar (there are a LOT of very similar boats) small Lateen rig boats make great intro to sailing boats, especially for youth on relatively smooth water (smallish ponds and protected coves... Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts....)
Part of sailing these is flipping them... often. That's half the fun of a Sunfish. (especially for kids)
My username is referencing the fun of flipping Sunfish.
REALLY simple to get started and learn the basics with these.
If you sail a Sunfish (or similar) plan to get very wet.
Advanced/racing Sunfish add "cunningham" and outhaul adjustments to the sail.

Laser is a bit in between. Sunfish, Laser and Vagabond are all fairly close in length. Laser is wider than Sunfish and Vagabond 14 is wider than Laser. As the boats get wider they get less prone to flipping, but they also are getting taller masts and more sail area. The taller mast makes them easier to flip again and the larger sail area gives the wind more power to flip it if you aren't careful.
So all 3 are expected to flip occasionally.

Vagabond 14 (pretty close to a Capri 14.2 in many ways) is decidedly more advanced in being a bigger boat with a fractional sloop rig. But its still a good beginner boat because you can just ignore the jib at first. Though its amazing how much more power you get from that little jib when you start using it.
Factory rigging is super simple. Just as the Sunfish and Laser, one "mainsheet" for primary control of the mainsail.
Laser usually adds a couple of sail trim adjustments "Vang" being the most important to learn about.

Then a "mast top sloop" where the jib goes all the way to the top of the mast and is a larger percentage of total sail area would be even more advanced, but STILL could be sailed ignoring the jib for early practice.

You can start on almost anything... (some need more than one person no matter what you do to simplify it)

A mistake on a Sunfish usually means you go swimming a minute or two.

Flipping the Vagabond 14 without a masthead float means you need 3 people to get it back upright.

Everything you learn on the simpler boat applies to the more advanced boat.
TurninTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 20:20   #51
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:

Like I said... Any body of water large enough for a bass boat has a yacht club. In this case it's Palacios Yacht Club Palacios Yacht Club Contact Us .

They just got done hosting a regional Laser regatta on the 16th. It looks like the club is basically just a small boat club (read dingies). And is absolutely where I would start.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 20:51   #52

Boat: Catalina 387

I've sailed a whole lot on a Lido 14. Yea, dinghy sailing is a good way to learn to sail. But not a good way to learn why cruising is fun. I would not recommend a beach cat unless sailing a beach cat was the goal.

Has anybody mentioned a swing keel Catalina 22 yet? -- there's a reason they made a sxitton of them. Easy to launch, reasonably easy to rig, easy to sail, forgiving enough for beginners, can be pushed hard to race. Maybe a Catalina 25 would be worth a looksee too.

Or a Mac 26x/26m. Out of your price range likely - but even tho it gets slagged, there's some reasons for the boat to exist - listen to thesailingrode podcast for examples. Getting to the next bay at 60mph behind a truck has some really great value.

If you're keeping in a slip? A Catalina 27 can be had almost anywhere for $4K or so in sailable condition. A fantastic cheap boat. May draw too much for your area.

Or, as suggested, make some friends on the dock and go sailing with them. Heck, I take newbies out almost every weekend. Some are pukers and never want to go again. Some fall in love with that moment that the engine is turned off.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 06:39   #53

My vote is for a Catalina 22 or venture 21. Both boats have good Web site with active following all willing to give help. Resale value for both is stable. Easy to rig and many sail sail configuration.
Billnpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 17:52   #54

You can also look at The Trailer Sailor . This site list many trailer sailboats and discussions.
Billnpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 21:21   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Seal View Post
Google is your friend, but Texas is my home.

It is unlikely I will be going to Florida to learn to sail.

But thanks for the tip.
Old 26-07-2016, 21:36   #56

I wanna thank everyone who took the time to answer my rookie questions. Thanks, I really appreciate it. Y'all have given me more ideas than I can digest all at once. Need to percolate.

Just one tip from me: Adelie, never ask a Texan if he has enough truck to pull the load. If he does you have insulted him. If he doesn't you have embarrassed him. Word to the wise👍
Old 26-07-2016, 21:59   #57

Boat: Flicka

Always thought these were interesting. A little on the pudgy side, but probably alot of fun to camp out in. Seems to be popular in Texas. .

Guppy 13

http://sailingtexas.com/201601/sguppy13119.html

Another interesting ones this size with sm cabin might be Montgomery 15
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	picguppy13119a.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	128490  
boatnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 22:10   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Like I said... Any body of water large enough for a bass boat has a yacht club. In this case it's Palacios Yacht Club Palacios Yacht Club Contact Us .

They just got done hosting a regional Laser regatta on the 16th. It looks like the club is basically just a small boat club (read dingies). And is absolutely where I would start.
Well you made a liar outta me. "palacios Yacht Club". Whooda thunk? Palacios is a wide spot n the road.

Good to know, thanks.
Old 26-07-2016, 22:47   #59
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Well you made a liar outta me. "palacios Yacht Club". Whooda thunk? Palacios is a wide spot n the road.

Good to know, thanks.
It comes with being proved wrong myself a time or two... I have found yacht clubs that are litterly nothing more than a park bench and a rotating duty to bring the beer cooler. There's some great sailing and guys in clubs like that.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 01:19   #60

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

"That may be a good strategy to get my 1st mate involved, or may be a bad strategy which compels she who would druther just cook and sip frozen margaritas to actually learn to sail. This requires careful analysis." --Michaeloh59

Might encourage her a whole lot: it's gotta be more fun for the man if the lady is a willing participant, and contributing her share. [double meaning intended]

Ann

Tags
learning