Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2016, 07:06   #16

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: What would you do?

See if there is any harbour, anchorage, river or a bay that can give you a shelter, should the weather turn against you.

Another idea is to play the tides as you can either get a huge boost or else get pretty much stuck depending on how you plan your departure and arrival.

60 miles sounds doable in one daysail, with good forecast, unless the boat is very small.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 08:11   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

If your buddy knows what he is doing, listen to him, go with what he says
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 08:24   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfbreez View Post
Maybe im being over cautious, I got into some 8 foot seas with 6 sec intervals before in a 24 footer, ever since then iv been cautious. I will talk to my expert sailing buddy, he owns a racing sailboat and has a tone of sailing experience, he will check out the forecast, he has alot more experience then me in that department. I will take all your advise and in good judgment, ill update soon
Ok, so trade it in for a tri and stop worrying so much about riding on a bobber.
trifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 09:03   #19

Hm... One of the first things I was taught was that you're S'POSED to be scared :-)

So what precisely is it you are scared of? The McW27 is of a size with many boats that have circumnavigated. The McW has a fairly large cockpit, but so has the Nordic Folkboat. The two are basically cut from the same cloth. So don't get pooped :-)! The McW is "permanently reefed" with a SA/Disp of only a little over 14. Is your reefing gear up to snuff? Can you reef your main to something like 80SqFt and do you have a baby jib, maybe 60 feet? Be chicken - reef BEFORE you put out :-)! Just now Lundy reports wind at WNW 17 knots gusting to 20 and backing. That's not too bad, but I'd be reefed down and I'd wear a patch.

Eat well before you go and have cornish pasties of similar available for underway.

You likely have a Volvo for an auxilliary. Is it trustworthy?

Remember that a well constructed and well found boat will take better care of you than you can of it ;-0)!

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 09:47   #20

Boat: Albin 36 Express Trawler

If any question, I ask someone who's already out in the weather or just come in what it's like. Can't tell you how many times the weather app says 5 knot winds and one foot seas and it turns out to be 20 knots with 4 ft seas.
vlathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 10:59   #21

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

I do not intend to be unkind, but you may need to reexamine your motives in having a sailboat. If semi-typical local weather conditions are enough to keep you in the yard, what are you going to do when you have to get to her and board when she's on a mooring? I can tell several stories of fellows with fine Water boats">blue water boats who were always on the verge or heading out to the South Seas, but never quite departed due to the local weather on the big day, or some piece of equipment that had failed while at the dock on the day before. Often the problem lies not with the weather or the vessel, it is within ourselves.
Old 12-07-2016, 13:31   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Hm... One of the first things I was taught was that you're S'POSED to be scared :-)

So what precisely is it you are scared of? The McW27 is of a size with many boats that have circumnavigated. The McW has a fairly large cockpit, but so has the Nordic Folkboat. The two are basically cut from the same cloth. So don't get pooped :-)! The McW is "permanently reefed" with a SA/Disp of only a little over 14. Is your reefing gear up to snuff? Can you reef your main to something like 80SqFt and do you have a baby jib, maybe 60 feet? Be chicken - reef BEFORE you put out :-)! Just now Lundy reports wind at WNW 17 knots gusting to 20 and backing. That's not too bad, but I'd be reefed down and I'd wear a patch.

Eat well before you go and have cornish pasties of similar available for underway.

You likely have a Volvo for an auxilliary. Is it trustworthy?

Remember that a well constructed and well found boat will take better care of you than you can of it ;-0)!

TrentePieds
Has a 2014 beta engine, 20 hp, hardly any hours. Boat is in good shape, sails and rigging in good shape.
gulfbreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 13:50   #23

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra

The forecast for Saturday appears to have improved in SW Wales: about 15kts SW wind and significant wave height not exceeding 1.25m (slight) close to shore. IMO, it looks OK!

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 15:54   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra View Post
The forecast for Saturday appears to have improved in SW Wales: about 15kts SW wind and significant wave height not exceeding 1.25m (slight) close to shore. IMO, it looks OK!

Alain
Yes, looks like its improving, Sunday looks even better. having experience with forecasts, ill have a very clear picture of what it will look like by Thur.
Thanks for your update and advise.
Old 12-07-2016, 15:55   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
See if there is any harbour, anchorage, river or a bay that can give you a shelter, should the weather turn against you.

Another idea is to play the tides as you can either get a huge boost or else get pretty much stuck depending on how you plan your departure and arrival.

60 miles sounds doable in one daysail, with good forecast, unless the boat is very small.

Cheers,
b.
Yes, there are many alternates en-route to take shelter if need be
Old 12-07-2016, 18:18   #26

Quote: "Has a 2014 beta engine, 20 hp, hardly any hours. Boat is in good shape, sails and rigging in good shape."

Well, there you go then - and off you go then ;-)!

So let me tell you that the only time I've ever thot that I was bound for Fiddler's Green was one day when I was crossing our local bathtub called the Salish Sea in a rented boat, a Cal 20. Racing single handed, and the katzenyammer from last night's lay-over was still pounding in my head to the point that I'd taken for gospel the forecast of the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation's weather-boffin rather than make my own.

Overpressed and underprepared. Shipped a lot of water. Hardly any fun at all.

Well, all's well that ends well, but do learn to make your own weather forecast and become good enuff at it that you can trust it. Only YOU can know what's the weather is like just were you are :-)

TrentePieds
Old 12-07-2016, 19:14   #27

Any suggestions from the experts?[/QUOTE]

With the benefit of hindsight, I would say that delivery by a professional may have been a good option. Perhaps you could be the crew?
There must be hundreds of capable seafarers sitting around nearby. The local sailing club could put you in touch with someone reliable.
Take the stress out of the equation and then learn at your own pace.
Dave
Olddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 04:09   #28

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

allow more time /are there safe anchorages along that 60 nm rollercoaster /temp mooring close to hard stand/slow down the cost can force a bad decision
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 05:45   #29

Boat: Moody 37

As someone said, relax. I've only been cruising for 5 years but my advice is:

Get her in the water somewhere closer and day sail short trips out and back whenever there is a weather window. Single-hand if you have to, just get to know the boat.

Build a larger pool of potential crew, join a club? Dating agency? LOL

Then, when a high looks like it might be around the British Isles for more than a day or so, organise your crew and off you go.

Are there any alternate ports to break the journey? or to dive into if the weather isn't as forecast?

BUT. The final decision is always yours, and if you aren't happy don't go. I heard a great quote the other day: "One of the most dangerous things on a boat is a schedule".

Enjoy
davewtsnape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 06:19   #30

Uhmmm... A McWester with a brand new Beta, a skipper with six powerboats under his belt, and a commercial pilots' license - where is the problem?

The boat is a motor boat, when that's what you want it to be. Just forget that it calls itself a sailboat :-) There is no penalty for not using canvas. Wear your oilies, stay tethered and make sure your drop boards are in and the hatch secured.

There are a coupla navigational challenges close to shore, so stay out even if that lengthens the trip to , say, a hundred miles. Google Earth will tell you that there are at least three bays/river mounts packed with yots along the way.

I would think that the winds to be cautious about are from south to west. Anything north of west will be broken by the Emerald Isle. Anything east of south would be rare, I would think, and very rarely of gale force, and anything north of east even rarer.

TrentePieds