Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2015, 19:36   #16

Boat: Looking for my next boat!
Re: What would you do

If it were calm enough, and safe, I would go aboard. Too exciting an adventure to pass up.

At the very least, I'd get lots of pictures. That outboard on the rail looks worth saving.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 11:25   #17

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba0_1 View Post
CANAILLE - Sailing Vessel: current position and details | MMSI 244810030, Callsign PB7509 | Registered in Netherlands | AIS Marine Traffic
This was on a fb post. They almost hit her at night. The sent position to CG and sailed on. 3 miles off shore.
1. Leave it, scuttle it.
2. Strip it.
It is abandoned.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
I feel sure if the CG was radioed they would have told what course of action should be taken. Scuttle or strip it? Someone needs to grow up.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 12:02   #18

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

According to the original fb post the CG was called went out checked it out and tagged the boat and left.

scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 12:22   #19

Quote:
According to the original fb post the CG was called went out checked it out and tagged the boat and left.

According to the OP? I doubt any CG will "tag it" what ever that means and leave it adrift?
Old 30-12-2015, 12:36   #20

Yep if you read the first post this is a copy from a fb post. They called it In the CG went out tagged it and left it adrift. CG does not regular tow boats in. not confusing.

Old 30-12-2015, 12:40   #21

This is a up date.

I just talked to a chief at CGstation charleston and she said it was a SAR MISSION off of canaverel down in Florida, they had to pluck the owner off. She said the boat is in really bad shape, With the currents she is going to get ripped north fast and end up on the beach either in northern So Carolina or the outer banks aka the grave yard of the atlantic. They actually sent someone out to look at her last night/this morning. It's the owners responsibility to get a salvage/tow.. If someone does it on their own they do have a salvage right but maybe not 100% vessel value but if someone grabs her they will get either the boat or a hearty reward from the insurance company and or owner...... Would make a cool campfire story if someone does

Old 30-12-2015, 13:45   #22

Quote:
This is a up date.

I just talked to a chief at CGstation charleston and she said it was a SAR MISSION off of canaverel down in Florida, they had to pluck the owner off. She said the boat is in really bad shape, With the currents she is going to get ripped north fast and end up on the beach either in northern So Carolina or the outer banks aka the grave yard of the atlantic. They actually sent someone out to look at her last night/this morning. It's the owners responsibility to get a salvage/tow.. If someone does it on their own they do have a salvage right but maybe not 100% vessel value but if someone grabs her they will get either the boat or a hearty reward from the insurance company and or owner...... Would make a cool campfire story if someone does

Pardon me. When you put a line on her you are assuming the liability. I would not touch that. I seriously doubt the CG would let a hazard to navigation float to go to the Grave Yard? Even their little RIBs have the enough fire power to sink.
Old 05-01-2016, 15:31   #23

Boat: Idylles 15.5
Send a message via Yahoo to Idylles15.5

I have to tell you that I have also been perplexed by the actions of the CG. I delvered a sailboat from western Long Island sound to Newport one time to have the boat put on one of those ships that submerges halfway, loads the boats and takes them to the Caribbean. The owner neglected to tell me that the rig wasn't tuned at all and that the diesel hadn't been used or cleaned or anything in a long time. I drill spun pumped the tank dry and put in fresh fuel blah blah blah, before people respond( I shouldn't have left and all the other BS.) I had to go to meet the ship in Newport. Anyway trip sucked, changed ten filters, all that crap. Wind really picked up at the Lighthouse on the point off Newport. Engine died, Thank god someting told me to put a line on the furler drum because the drum line looked rotted. I had to let out a little sail just to keep her off the beach. Was actually in real trouble. Coasties pull up out of nowhere in a rib with a 50 cal on deck and tell me to stop the boat. I explain to them I'm screwed and can't. Now its really blowing and dark skies, going to ****. I yelled to them that I really needed a tow into Newport entrance which was only about 2 miles away. The second I told them they were welcome aboat and that I needed help, I guess they figured I wasn't hiding any drugs. They just sped off and left me there about to wash up on the beach. I couldn't believe it. I had to call the owner in NY, tell him to call sea tow real quick in Newport and tell them to get the hell out here. Thank god they did get there in time, but to this day I still get pissed thinking how could they just leave. I know I wasn't sinking, but they could tell I was in trouble. I'm getting pissed all over again writing this down. Please other members who can't help themselves, I don't need to hear all the crap about how I never should of left. I had to get this boat to Newport before the ship left. **** happens.
Idylles15.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 16:03   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idylles15.5 View Post
I have to tell you that I have also been perplexed by the actions of the CG. I delvered a sailboat from western Long Island sound to Newport one time to have the boat put on one of those ships that submerges halfway, loads the boats and takes them to the Caribbean. The owner neglected to tell me that the rig wasn't tuned at all and that the diesel hadn't been used or cleaned or anything in a long time. I drill spun pumped the tank dry and put in fresh fuel blah blah blah, before people respond( I shouldn't have left and all the other BS.) I had to go to meet the ship in Newport. Anyway trip sucked, changed ten filters, all that crap. Wind really picked up at the Lighthouse on the point off Newport. Engine died, Thank god someting told me to put a line on the furler drum because the drum line looked rotted. I had to let out a little sail just to keep her off the beach. Was actually in real trouble. Coasties pull up out of nowhere in a rib with a 50 cal on deck and tell me to stop the boat. I explain to them I'm screwed and can't. Now its really blowing and dark skies, going to ****. I yelled to them that I really needed a tow into Newport entrance which was only about 2 miles away. The second I told them they were welcome aboat and that I needed help, I guess they figured I wasn't hiding any drugs. They just sped off and left me there about to wash up on the beach. I couldn't believe it. I had to call the owner in NY, tell him to call sea tow real quick in Newport and tell them to get the hell out here. Thank god they did get there in time, but to this day I still get pissed thinking how could they just leave. I know I wasn't sinking, but they could tell I was in trouble. I'm getting pissed all over again writing this down. Please other members who can't help themselves, I don't need to hear all the crap about how I never should of left. I had to get this boat to Newport before the ship left. **** happens.
The CG stopped being a tow boat service years ago. Rightly so.
Old 05-01-2016, 16:13   #25

I'm aware of that, but I was in obvious trouble and they were on the scene. Could of had a really bad result with people hurt. I'm sure most rational people, especially fellow boaters would of made the exception, and lets not forget, yes we the tax payers do pay their salary. Just so you know I'm not some crybaby. I was knocked down a few times off cape fear when the **** hit the fan out of nowhere. Maydays all over the radio. I do realize they can't waste their time if some their boat is actually sinking. In this case they should of helped me.
Old 05-01-2016, 16:18   #26

Sounds like you disappointed them. Maybe they were hoping to confiscate the boat instead?
ryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 16:25   #27

I for one can not see denigrating the CG. JMHO
Old 05-01-2016, 16:31   #28

Just so you know, I'm not anti authority. I have a great relationship with the Bay Constable and the CG guys where I live, and the CG is everywhere by us. They say they worry about a boat with explosives pulling up to one of the bridges in NY and trying to blow out a foundation, so I get it. I do resent 19 year olds from the Mid West with 9mm side arms jumping on my boat, who have never been by the water and knew nothing about boating until they joined the CG. I was practically born on a boat, and my father before me. Lived up the street from the Purdy Boat Co. in Port Washington L.I. that built Aphrodite for the Whitneys. Once in Greenport NY for no apparent reason they pull up behind me and just launched a giant red round fender into my cockpit and basically swat teamed on. Knocked the beer out of my hand and pushed me down and then proceeded to give me a DWI test. All teenagers. Couldn't bust me for anything, so they gave me a ticket for one life vest still being in the plastic cover. That kind of **** is wrong and we shouldn't have to just take it because they have full range of authority.
Old 05-01-2016, 16:37   #29

I appreciate everything the CG does and this is in no way a blanket statement, but common sense does need to prevail, ya think.
Old 05-01-2016, 16:37   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idylles15.5 View Post
Just so you know, I'm not anti authority. I have a great relationship with the Bay Constable and the CG guys where I live, and the CG is everywhere by us. They say they worry about a boat with explosives pulling up to one of the bridges in NY and trying to blow out a foundation, so I get it. I do resent 19 year olds from the Mid West with 9mm side arms jumping on my boat, who have never been by the water and knew nothing about boating until they joined the CG. I was practically born on a boat, and my father before me. Lived up the street from the Purdy Boat Co. in Port Washington L.I. that built Aphrodite for the Whitneys. Once in Greenport NY for no apparent reason they pull up behind me and just launched a giant red round fender into my cockpit and basically swat teamed on. Knocked the beer out of my hand and pushed me down and then proceeded to give me a DWI test. All teenagers. Couldn't bust me for anything, so they gave me a ticket for one life vest still being in the plastic cover. That kind of **** is wrong and we shouldn't have to just take it because they have full range of authority.
Yes sir and no sir goes a long way.