Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2006, 02:43   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Ooookayyy, well I won't be poping over to see you with my boat anytime soon then huh??
Sure glad to have a couple of nice days for a change. Getting sick of being so damn cold. This "global warming" business has been turning me into a bit of a girls blouse.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 02:57   #32

The worst storm i have been through at sea was coming home across Bass strait,weather forcast was for a weak change of 30-35 knots and 3-4 metre easterly swell,which is ok when your on a 68ft 35ton fishing boat.Well the only thing weak about this change is it blew for a week ,and caught us with 12 hours of steaming into winds of 60-65 and an odd gust of 70 knots the seas rose with wind against the tide too 9-10metres.About 11pm no moon i am on watch and it is as dark as the inside of a ducks guts we get hit by a bigger wave and it spins the boat 45 degrees to the sea,as i pick myself up and peel myself off the wheel house front baulkhead we were hit by another wave just forward of midships and she tried to roll ,infact it rolled that far i walked up the wheel house door and back down again.I had to turn off the auto pilot which was having a heart attack and fair wind her while we checked for damage.The only thing we found out of ordinry was a penguin walking around the decks that had been washed a board.35 knots is the strongest i have been through on a yacht.Greg
ozskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 06:17   #33

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
60 knots when just finishing a race off the WA coast so maybe the hour it took to get from there into port does not count.
55 knots last month in the Gulf of Corinth - logged 17.7 knots running away before the strom with a scrap of headsail to keep us moving.
Cheers
JOHN