Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-06-2011, 00:59   #31

Send a message via Skype™ to DannySt
Re: What will we be sailing in 50 years

Assuming that the conditions will not change (2012?) changes in materials will enable to create a stronger and more flexible material (flexible glass is already here), this will enable cruisers to recruit the power of waves no less than the power of wind by producing electricity from its movements. Sails technology will follow with stiffer wing like sails that auto shape by the changes of the wind and sea state. communication technology will outdate the need to keep watch because all of your boats will be connected to a center hub with satellite image monitoring. electricity conservation and pure water will be miniaturization and produced at need.
So we can assume that weight of a boat will become much smaller enabling smaller sails to produce much more force per feet and easier controlled.
We will all be sailing those babys from the couch in our atomic bomb after they drop the big one on us. Do I need to mention they will all have apple logos on them?

Old 20-06-2011, 01:00   #32

Send a message via Skype™ to DannySt

BTW, thanks for posting the question, it was fun to read the reactions and to think about it knowing what ever we might predict it will be a wrong

Old 20-06-2011, 02:55   #33
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: What will we be sailing in 50 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Go down to the Ford dealership and see if you can buy a new 1960 Ford.

Mark
I'll conceed that one Mark.... but... you can buy a brand new Standard 10 in India... along with a brand new 50's Enfield.....
Thank the heavens for 3rd World licencing..

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 03:09   #34

Boat: Maurice Griffiths 40

I remember in the 80's we raced IOR mark 3 - horrible boats, wet and absolute pigs to steer.

People still built cruising boats, big heavy, full keel, cutters with huge engines etc.

Now we mainly build plastic fantastic by maybe a dozen builders around the world. With the exception of IP, I don't think anyone builds these traditional style cruisers that I can afford in 50 years.

Luckily I will just teleport my sorry behind and my boat from port to port so I won't need an oceangoing vessel

Problem solved!

"I get knocked down but I get up again" eventually.
Johnathon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 04:00   #35

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

[QUOTE=Johnathon123;711503]I was thinking, this forum, along with most others, seems to have a constant debate, can a production boat (Beneteau, bavaria etc) be sailed safely around the world, mono v Multi etc etc.

I don't want to have that debate at all.

From my observation, we seem to have very few "strong" world cruisers being made these days. Most of my Marina visits see wharf after wharf of new plastic fantastic boats. This is fine.

But in 20 years or 50 years the majority of the world cruisers will be gone, eg the formosa's, the Perry designs, Cheoy Lee, the camper and Nicholson etc, and those that remain will have been lovingly restored and beyond my $$.
So are we likely to be destined to sail a Beneteau etc because that is all that remains or are there modern "classics" still in production that in 20 - 50 years time I can afford?[/QUOTE]

Interesting... nobody has actually answered the question. Within 3 or 4 posts thread drift had set in and taken off. All fun but drift nevertheless.

So, are there production boats coming out of factories today that are solid enough to still be around tomorrow for the budget conscious sailor to get on the water?

Personally, I think the answer is yes and no. Fibreglass seems to last forever so they'll be around. But not like the Formosas etc that were being built before the accountants got involved and worked out how little FG they could get away with.
So modern production boats will have flexed their innards to mush, but they'll be there for the dedicated to brace up and throw in bean bags for furniture.
But I suspect the OP's comment is right, that the solid old classics will still be there, renovated to perfection and expensive as hell.

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 04:10   #36

Thanks Virtual, yes that was the question.

I guess I hope my kids will have my passion for sailing and maybe even dream of a world cruise with their kids, but I wonder WHAT they will sail from the current crop of "cruising boats"

World trip on beanbags! Back to the 70's!

Old 20-06-2011, 04:26   #37

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Johnathon... it's an interesting question. Maybe there'll be some new exotic material we don't even know about yet.
Imagine trying to explain to someone in the 1940s what fibreglass would do to the boating industry! It could happen again I guess.
Or maybe budget sailors will go back to concrete, but with some cheap, rust proof reinforcing... any ideas?

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 04:29   #38
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: What will we be sailing in 50 years

The 'Classic's' will still be around as long as folks love building and sailing them... a set of plans and the requsite time and place to build...
Yup... they'll be there else Wharram would not be so successful... they'll be folks in the 'Grim and Basic Boat Trash' class... no fancy nancy modern crap for them...

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 04:51   #39

Good point. You would think modern technology would have given us a rust proof cost efficient reinforcing for ferr

Old 20-06-2011, 05:04   #40
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Perhaps we will all be sailing identical Chinese class junkets.

With gimbaled mahjong tables, wok about galleys’ and integral bulk storage for rice and pancit.

They will provide the sailor with everything he needs, but will somehow always leave you wanting just that little bit more.....

… after an hour or so.....
Old 20-06-2011, 05:12   #41

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35; Nordica 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Perhaps we will all be sailing identical Chinese class junkets.

With gimbaled mahjong tables, wok about galleys’ and integral bulk storage for rice and pancit.
I'll pass on the mahjong tables, but the rest sounds interesting.

At least they may be affordable.
Old 20-06-2011, 05:21   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon123 View Post
You would think modern technology would have given us a rust proof cost efficient reinforcing for (ferro cement boats)
Just for the record, the cement rust-proofs the steel, in boats or in any other structure. It's only when the cement plaster is broken open to admit oxygen and not repaired that rust becomes a problem in ferro cement boats.

If you don't believe this, take a sledge hammer to one and observe the shiny, as-new steel mesh beneath the cement plaster. Or maybe just take my word for it.

Re the OP's question, remember that the past provides the best window to the future. Thus we can be confident that today's ferro boats will be on the oceans for at least a century yet.
Old 20-06-2011, 05:44   #43

Boat: cal 40

When we were b40 shopping we met some guys who were the original owners. Some for over 40 years. I am 40 now so I will look for this thread in 40 years. There will probably be a couple,3 refits by then. But something tells me she'll look the same.
Old 20-06-2011, 06:01   #44

Boat: Lagoon 450, Jeanneau 479, & Jeanneau 409

At the risk of angering the traditionalists, I'll predict that within 50 years, and maybe just 10, we'll have the autopilots, winches, chart plotters, AIS, radar, and weather systems all linked into an integrated system. For those which choose to use it, you'll be able to choose the destination and the rest will be automated.

The individual components all exist now, and the data is all available. The integration is all that is left.

I'm sure that this has already been done to some degree on the larger sailing yachts (the ones with the helipads). Once enough of those who are not restricted by funds have paid the non-recurring engineering, this will slowly migrate into high end cruisers.

Just like I've read posts about how GPS has lead to the loss of navigation skills, we'll be reading about the good old days when real sailors / cruisers trimmed their sails manually.

If I were in control of about $20M I'd love to make it happen myself. I'd start with a Gunboat 66... I've got over 20 years experience doing systems integration. This would be a very fun project. Anybody out there want to make it happen, PM me.

Cheers and happy cruising,
Lucky Larry
Old 20-06-2011, 06:18   #45
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

I first sailed Bluestocking 1967. Still get the same feeling now.

Tags
sailing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: