Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-04-2015, 18:52   #46

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Eleuthera 60
Re: What to take, toss, sell or store

Hey Mike,

Remember me from Yanmar school in Wisconsin a couple years ago? Mike with the cat called Vivo. Made it to Australia so far. What a trip.

Get rid of all of it and I'll see you out there.

Good luck and get south!

Regards

Old 07-04-2015, 19:49   #47

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
as in "Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"? Don't know why I have that song in my head now. I need to go grab the mandolin.
Sing it baby .

But to be clear, I got plenty left to lose. This ain't no death wish, or irrational leap into the unknown. We're moving pretty cautiously into the new world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefp60 View Post
Hey Mike,

Remember me from Yanmar school in Wisconsin a couple years ago? Mike with the cat called Vivo. Made it to Australia so far. What a trip.

Good luck and get south!
Oh man, of course I remember you. That's amazing. You said you were heading out that season. Looks like you did it. Good on you! Ann and I are slowly following in your wake. We'll catch up to you ... in about 10 years .

Thanks for the advice. I'll let Ann know. And if you're ever back in these neck of the woods, let us know. We're spending one more season in the Great Lakes, and then sailing out the St. Lawrence to Newfoundland. After that, who knows...

Old 07-04-2015, 20:01   #48

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Eleuthera 60

You go brother! Get to the Caribbean. Then west. I know you come from the cold but the warm is so much better! Cut the dock lines and don't look back. See you soon maybe!
Old 07-04-2015, 20:24   #49

Boat: Caliber 40

In response to the comments subsequent to my tear jerk story, or maybe just the story about me being a jerk and keeping a lot of dumb stuff.

I never thought of myself as sentimental. I was a "numbers guy" with an undergraduate computer science degree and graduate degree in statistics. That is about as geeky as can be. I made a career of working with hard numbers and helping companies make rational decisions based on those numbers.

When it came time to get rid of stuff I found that I was much more sentimental than I realized and found it darn near impossible to throw away dumb stuff that had no rational value. I was 52-years old when we tried to simplify and rid ourselves of everything that would not fit on our 40-foot cutter.

- boxes of weird notes, papers, pictures, postcards that I had accumulated while communicating with friends over the prior 40-years.

- several sets of motorcycle leathers that had saved my life several times since 1965

- those Christmas ornaments that had decorated trees in three of our houses

- those boxes of beautiful clothes that consignment shops would “try to sell” but would throw out after 3-months. I had more than 20 custom fit suits that would only fit someone with large chest, long torso, small waist, and short squatty legs. How could I throw out, or allow to be thrown out such fine apparel?

- Several dozen prints, oils, water colors that we had collected over the years and had framed to suit our tastes. None of them were valuable but we had looked at them for decades, they reminded us of many nice, difficult, and ordinary days and nights. Keeping them seemed like no-big-deal but eventually they filled six large boxes after they were carefully padded and protected.

- Five “interesting” chairs that were over 100 years old. We knew they “might” be valuable but could not find any way to verify that. We were afraid to get rid of them because several folks told us they could be very valuable.

- My old climbing boots and parkas. I had traveled North America with very close friends doing some serious mountaineering in those items. I had almost lost my life several times and I had saved several friends life’s wearing that stuff. How, could I possibly dispose of that part of my life?

- the LPs were particularly distressing. I knew that several dozen of them were quite valuable but I was convinced that eventually I would buy a modern “old turntable” and listen to those records that had been such a part of my life since 1965. The LPs filled 10 2-cubic foot boxes and have been a pain in the ass. I have moved them, each weighs at least 20-pounds, from place to place a dozen times.

- Some of my favorite books were just too precious to give away. They had given me such pleasure over the years and now I have four 2-cubic foot boxes of them.

AND… so it went. This steely eyed computer geek found that many of the souvenirs and mementos of a great life just had to be kept. Once you keep a few things, it becomes very easy to keep a few more, and sooner, rather than later, you again stuff a storage unit.

Others have said – “Plan for the return to land” and we did. That is why we kept so much kitchen ware, cook ware, china, and silver. Our storage costs for those things, after 15-years, is probably twice their value. But, when you don’t know when landfall will occur – how do you decide if it is economic to keep it?
Old 07-04-2015, 21:02   #50

Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefp60 View Post
Hey Mike,

Good luck and get south!

Regards
Mike,

Is that your vessel on the hard at Mackay marina? Been watching it there several months now.

cheers
Old 07-04-2015, 21:10   #51

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Tacoma Sailor,

The things you didn't want to give up are those which, like the things I didn't want to give up, are deeply associated with who we'd become up till that point, sort of like symbols defining parts of our personality. to leave behind or bring forward.

Here's a short list of what I've disposed of from our locker:
1) All my university texts, they were the first to go.
2) All the heirlooms (but one, and it's tiny)--to my children and their partners
3) All my land-based clothes

Here's another list, what I have taken from the locker and brought to the boat:
1) favorite recipes
2) favorite, ball-bearing rolling pin [Yes, I've used wine bottles, and a plain rolling pin, but it was just time, because that baker is still part of who I am now!]
Old 07-04-2015, 22:47   #52

Our situation is a little different but in many ways the same. We moved over seas six years ago and kept the house and all the stuff. We live out of suitcases and everything we needed was packed into 10 suitcases for five people when we left. The house is still full of furniture and old clothes all of which can be tossed/donated. The kids of course have grown and have outgrown everything that was there. I have no emotional attachment to the furniture, though it is mostly family heirlooms. We use the house a a summer vacation home and a place to dump crap at the end of the year.

We pay a mortgage and taxes on it. Hubby calls it a forced savings plan. I have suggested more than once that we sell it but it does serve a purpose. I dread the day we have to sort through it all

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 08-04-2015, 06:11   #53

Nice list TacomaSailor. Lessons to be learned here, for sure. We're now pretty must textbook and reference book free in our house. In fact, we're probably down to less than 100 books in total ... hard to believe. We've been lugging most of these books back and forth across the country for over a 1/4 century. Now they're mostly gone. Feels odd, but good .

My partner does have a collection of vinyl which she's have a hard time parting with. And we do have a few antiques that we will likely keep. A cedar ("hope") chest, skis, descent mountain bikes, and my full-size bodrum (too big to bring on board). With out 14' storage trailer we should have plenty of space for these sorts of things.

Clothes are an interesting question. Our immediate cruising plans have us deal with the heat of summer as well as the cold of Newfoundland. Instead of trying to carry enough clothes for all these seasons I'm thinking about boxing cold weather clothes and storing them at my sister's place. Then, when we need them, we can have her ship them to us, and send back our warm weather garb. We can keep doing this back and forth until we finally head into the tropical sun (or take the Northwest Passage ).

Any of you done this?
Old 08-04-2015, 07:51   #54

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post

Clothes are an interesting question. Our immediate cruising plans have us deal with the heat of summer as well as the cold of Newfoundland. Instead of trying to carry enough clothes for all these seasons I'm thinking about boxing cold weather clothes and storing them at my sister's place. Then, when we need them, we can have her ship them to us, and send back our warm weather garb. We can keep doing this back and forth until we finally head into the tropical sun (or take the Northwest Passage ).

Any of you done this?
Mike, just wondering if you had thought of Space Bags for storing some warm layers aboard? I have used them to store bulky things like comforters and such and it is amazing how compact they get when you suck the air out, assuming of course you have at least a small vacuum aboard.

https://share.delorme.com/SVAnteris
oldragbaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 08:28   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post
Mike, just wondering if you had thought of Space Bags for storing some warm layers aboard? I have used them to store bulky things like comforters and such and it is amazing how compact they get when you suck the air out, assuming of course you have at least a small vacuum aboard.
It's a good idea Becky. We have used them for bed clothes here on land (our house is pretty small too ), but haven't tried it on board yet. It would be great for stuff like fleece and feathered jackets.

Thanks .
Old 11-04-2015, 18:06   #56

Boat: 1983 Nauticat 43, Hull 16

Okay, so as of yesterday I have become a Craigslist expert. As I see items head out the door, and money coming in, it is getting easier and easier to let go of items I thought I needed. I'm hoping in the next 3 weeks to see a large majority head off to someone else's home, and what doesn't will be for a garage sale at the end of the month, and then give away, throw away, and charity donations. After that, I will be cleaning the house and giving it over to the realtor, which means I can get back TO THE BOAT.

Which, after all is the point right? (forsaleinfairbanks is doing a booming business, anybody want anything?) wink wink
dkroar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 20:20   #57
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

We are 64 and 62, our parents are gone so now WE are the OLD generation.

I'm retiring in December and then we slip the lines.

As it is we live on the boat every other week and then spend the I between week working in the city.

We own a 4 unit brownstone, and live in a 4 room apt. But the Wife uses 2 rooms for her practice, so effectively we live in a 1 room apt. Of course we own the basement. THAT is where all the stuff is. If I lay in the sofa too long my Wife starts to roll me to the sidewalk. She has given away small appliances before I've even had a chance to use them!

Today I spent time doing chores and cleaning out stuff in the basement. But I've go lots of tools that I want to keep. Stuff we use on the boat. Multiple welders, band saw, table saw, miter saw. Nothing high value, but I do an awful lot of work myself. And we will still need to keep the house up.

Our daughter is buying an older house and will take some stuff for her repairs.

The big thing I have trouble with are the guns. All hunting long guns. I think I'll have to buy a special gun safe and put that in the basement.

If we need to come back for a short term, a few months, I guess we will look for an extended stay arrangement. If for longer term we will take back one of the smaller apts.

We have a cabin with a shop in Newfoundland, but I can't really plan on using that as a maintenance base for the boats. The season is too short, resources are far too spread out. I would like to have a garage, as a shop, on the water somewhere along the AICW.

Hopefully the endless refits will stop soon and we will actually start to have time to travel.

As a matter of fact, we have an inflatable dingy in our bedroom. For sale cheap! Fairly good condition! Just saying!
Old 12-04-2015, 06:05   #58

Nice to hear the progress others are making. Our yacht club is having a buy&sell next month. I'm hoping to offload some of the boaty items I still have around. We have only a few high-value items left (fridge, car, shelves, a table and a few chairs). After that it's junk, er, I mean yard sale fodder. If it doesn't go there, then it's off to the Sally Ann or the dump.

hpeer, I may talk to you in a year's time about this cabin in NFLD. Is it insulated? We are now planning to be there next year (delayed a year b/c of the house stuff). Not sure what we're going to do over that winter, but renting a cheap Newfie home is definitely on the possible list. We already live in a small, insulated cabin on Lake Superior, so don't need much.
Old 12-04-2015, 06:40   #59

Boat: 2002 catalina 390

Hey Mike,
All that junk you have left to get rid of is like a soon-to-be ex-wife. You think she's still part of your life, but she's a pain in the ass, you'll never use her again and the longer she hangs around the more she's gonna cost. Dump the junk and get on with your life.........keep your eyes toward the bow and sail on.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:06   #60
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Mike,

Sure, would love to discuss. As to over wintering, there are very few marinas. There are a couple around St. John's, but St. John's housing costs are high.

Outside St. John's options are limited. I tried keeping my boat near the cabin at Bonavista for a couple of years. That was a mistake. So now the boat will go back to Lewisporte, even though it is 4 hours drive from the cabin.

The Rock is a big, sparsely populated place. Housing can be incredibly inexpensive, outside St. John's. But then there is the isolation.

A possible alternative is to leave the boat in the water. The South coast is relatively ice free. Maybe somthing like Grand Banks would work?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: