Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2014, 15:49   #1
zak

What to do with Police Car.

Hi all...

Aussies may know the boat by name, a colourful history well described here.

She's a great old boat - though perhaps, in a bit of a pickle, well certainly I am with it. No longer competitive to race, far too 'racy' to go cruising in.

She is still an absolute blast to spend time sailing, ask those guys in the photo

I'm looking for ways to make something of her, give her a new life...

Ideas? any thoughts..
zak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 11:27   #2

Boat: Pearson Wanderer 30
Re: What to do with Police Car.

I'm not sure if this is even viable, but maybe a sailing program of some kind would have an interest in her. It seems that using her to teach young people the skill necessary for competitive sailing would be a great way to breathe new life into her. That said, she is a lot of boat to handle and I'm not sure if a program capable of maintaining such a boat even exists.
Crazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 11:44   #3

racing in sydney harbour ... she'd be fun to twilight, and be moderately competitive for weekend racing ... you could even take out paying crew if you could work out how to advertise to them.
jannw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 11:50   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What to do with Police Car.

Donate her to a worthy cause...

Me..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:21   #5

There is a resurgence in IOR racing in Europe.
I think the world one ton cup is in NZ in 2015.
She would be a standout in IOR, as long as the hull isn't fizzing out (she was alloy IIRC?)
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 13:05   #6

That's a blast from the past

Why not make her into a cruiser.

Check out this thread about a VandeStadt designed 40' IOR "1-tonner" made into a cruiser

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-mad-2654.html
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 13:26   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by zak View Post
Hi all...

Aussies may know the boat by name, a colourful history well described here.

She's a great old boat - though perhaps, in a bit of a pickle, well certainly I am with it. No longer competitive to race, far too 'racy' to go cruising in.

She is still an absolute blast to spend time sailing, ask those guys in the photo

I'm looking for ways to make something of her, give her a new life...

Ideas? any thoughts..

We have two handicapping systems here in the Great Lakes (& US). Serious racers race IOR rules. Most of us race PHRF - Performance handicap. Under PHRF Performance Handicap Racing Fleet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia older boats are able to compete. In fact, the Heritage One-Ton I raced in the 70s & 80s is still racing and kicking butt on Lake Erie. I am surprised there is not support for such a system everywhere. I hate throwing a good ole' boat away. There is a particularly wonderful thrill when your Clydesdale beats up on a gazelle.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 14:34   #8
zak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazer View Post
I'm not sure if this is even viable, but maybe a sailing program of some kind would have an interest in her. It seems that using her to teach young people the skill necessary for competitive sailing would be a great way to breathe new life into her. That said, she is a lot of boat to handle and I'm not sure if a program capable of maintaining such a boat even exists.

Hey crazer...This is the sort of thing I'm thinking. Perhaps with two or three experienced people it'd be possible.

Everywhere I've been on the boat it seems there is somebody with a story to tell about the boat...It'd seem a bit of a shame to simply turn her into a cruiser, change her colours and throw away that history...Besides that, really expensive to set her up for short handed sailing...
Old 07-01-2014, 14:37   #9
zak

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Donate her to a worthy cause...

Me..

I hear you boatman. No worries. You can have her so long as you give her the repairs she needs as well as understand I go where she does
Old 07-01-2014, 15:05   #10

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000

My last boat DIVA was ex Whispers of Wellington, an NZ IOR Admirals Cupper built in 1974. She was turned into a cruiser and after we got rid of most of the sails, put on a modern roached main, lazy jacks, furling 110% genoa, (to make her easier to handle) proper dodger etc, she cruised 15000 miles in the south pacific from 2010 brilliantly.
Also a short water line boat for the AC IOR handicap, she often did 180 mile days at sea, faster than a lot of bigger boats.
So I would think there's hope for Police Car in the same vein.......
Cheers
Alan
Albro359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 23:11   #11
zak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albro359 View Post
My last boat DIVA was ex Whispers of Wellington, an NZ IOR Admirals Cupper built in 1974. She was turned into a cruiser and after we got rid of most of the sails, put on a modern roached main, lazy jacks, furling 110% genoa, (to make her easier to handle) proper dodger etc, she cruised 15000 miles in the south pacific from 2010 brilliantly.
Also a short water line boat for the AC IOR handicap, she often did 180 mile days at sea, faster than a lot of bigger boats.
So I would think there's hope for Police Car in the same vein.......
Cheers
Alan
No doubt, with the right time and budget she'd make a good cruiser...I can imagine though someone doing just that with her, new paint job etc etc and all that history gone...
Old 09-01-2014, 09:18   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by zak View Post
No doubt, with the right time and budget she'd make a good cruiser...I can imagine though someone doing just that with her, new paint job etc etc and all that history gone...
Make it in a cruiser but keep the paint job

Fitting a cruiser interior and even adding a couple of portholes on the cabin top will not kill the history.
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 14:24   #13
zak

Quote:
Originally Posted by olaf hart View Post
There is a resurgence in IOR racing in Europe.
I think the world one ton cup is in NZ in 2015.
She would be a standout in IOR, as long as the hull isn't fizzing out (she was alloy IIRC?)

Wow NZ sounds great olaf and what fun that'd be. I just requested some more info from them about the event.

The hull is fine, solid as always...they're tough old bird hey...
Old 09-01-2014, 16:04   #14

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

Nothing wrong with an old IOR 1-tonner, assuming she is still reasonably sound. I should know - I have one! We still race her - mostly club racing and twilight "beercan" racing, but every couple of years we do a longer passage race or offshore race, kinda just to prove that we can (we are generally still reasonably competitive too, especially to windward, in decent breeze). We have also, slowly, converted our relatively basic racing fit-out to a more cruise-friendly arrangement.

If you have any aspirations of cruising, go for a furling headsail (we have a furlex with a twin foil that allows us to still take the sail off the furler and use multiple sails tacked at the deck, for serious racing / flying peel headsail changes, etc. We also have 2 mainsails - a standard full-hoist one for racing, and a 3/4 hoist one for cruising - the short hoist only goes to just under the top of the runners so, by taking off the checkstays we can tack and jibe with both runners strapped on, which makes short handed cruising easily achievable. Even with this 3/4 hoist main and furling genoa, we are still get there plenty quick enough.

Below deck we have installed a fridge/freezer and a decent galley a new head and vanity and redone most of the fit-out - we cruise it quite happily for 2 - 3 weeks at a time, and would cruise longer if work permitted.

So don't be writing off the old girl yet.

Having said that, if you do decide to restore or refit her, be prepared to spend a lot of hours and quite a lot of money
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 17:11   #15
zak

Thank you for your post Weyalan, exactly the sorts of things I was thinking, especially re the mainsail. Great to hear my theories can actually work!

I've been down the fitout road in the past, even made a start...never enjoyed those old pipe births! Just keeping it really simple, aiming just for comfort...so far it does seem it's more time than money.

I'd like to get around to doing some races, even just for laughs really...this one in particular, another Hobart race would be great too.