Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2016, 02:05   #46

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: What to do in case of a storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
Thanks, Stu.
I tried but you'll have seen the response. I really did not understand the terminology used and henced posed a question. You'll have seen the responses.
Ill skip any further similar posts by said author as they really need input by Alan Turing.
Have a great day.........
Alan Turing's input would be too logical. You need input from the Rev Charles Lutwidge Dodgson here.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 02:19   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

.....and not every 'Alice' out there, knows that!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Alan Turing's input would be too logical. You need input from the Rev Charles Lutwidge Dodgson here.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 07:34   #48
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

ha h ah aha ha try reading the storm 2k info and pay attention if you wish to understand these wonders created of nature. in the meantime, bulwaya, go sail in them. might help clear things up a tad for ye.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 07:52   #49

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

Quote:
More interesting is which way is south when you are at the south pole? (Rhetorical question for anyone just reading this)

Deep below your feet!
Old 14-08-2016, 08:46   #50

Boat: 81 Hunter Cherubini 27

What's the problem here? I understand zeehag just fine and what she says makes perfect sense! (She's mush eaziyer to unnershtan wen ya gots a few brewski's in ya tho'). j/k zeehag! Thought this thread was about what to do in a storm? (Just sayin')
Old 14-08-2016, 11:06   #51
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Against my better judgement I'll respond one final time as I shall be skipping postings that require Pentagon level of processing power to decipher in the future. Im not sure why anyone believes that writing in such a manner adds any substance or credibility.
Just what is your experience? In one of your previous postings you refer to how you consider 100 knots as pretty moderate? Incredible.
You are pretty unique because the most I have experienced was gusting over 80 knots and I think I was also gusting, & not far behind that. The sea's were recorded as being 15 meters. These are not my figures as I could not quantify them as such - just that they were super scary and our wind was jammed against the stop.
My experience can be confirmed by the coastguard. Very scary.
For anyone to suggest to go sail a boat in such conditions tells me that they really need professional help or have zero actual concept beyond reading of others experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
ha h ah aha ha try reading the storm 2k info and pay attention if you wish to understand these wonders created of nature. in the meantime, bulwaya, go sail in them. might help clear things up a tad for ye.
Old 14-08-2016, 11:46   #52

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Bulawayo, take a deep breath and hear me as a friendly commenter.

Zeehag does, in fact, have much experience to back up her opinions. She has a perhaps unique sense of humor and her texting style may be influenced by some challenges controlling her fingers due to medical issues. But, be assured she has many, many years and miles of sailing experience including Gulf of Mexico storms and Mexican hurricanes including a direct hit by 200+ mph this year.

She is not young. Her boat is not young. Both have great experience and wisdom gained the hard way. I've even known her admit her errors on this forum. It is well worth trying to decipher her writing. We can learn somethings.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 11:58   #53

Tayana42....... +2! Can we please now get back on thread: Got this 12-pound mushroom anchor that keeps dragging whenever I drop anchor on a sandy bottom on my 40-footer whenever winds reach 1 knot....What to do? LOL j/k
Old 14-08-2016, 12:24   #54

I do have a question about riding out storms at anchor. I have mostly sailed and powered-boated the lower Chesapeake Bay area and an returning there in April of next year to move aboard my pocket cruiser (Excited...soo Excited!).

I have ridden out a few nor'easters in the rivers and tributaries along the Ches Bay about 20-odd years ago, but as I will be returning right at the beginning of Hurricane Season (furrycanes in zeehag speak). I am considering anchorage. Recently purchased boat has a #12 Danfoth with a 3/8-inch rode (ok for day sailing and picnic). Am considering picking up a second #12 Danforth with the same line and a 44-pound plough anchor with a 1/2-inch rode. The boat has no cleats or chocks on the bow, so will have to installed them and a Sampson post for the larger anchor (with backing plates). Oh, forgot to mention that the boat is 27-feet, 3.5 tons, 1.5 tons of keel ballast)

Ideally in a hurricane I would like to put three anchors out (marked with jugs) in a 120-degree configuration with the heavier anchor in the middle. The question then becomes: When the eye of the hurricane passes and the winds are now coming from the opposite direction....does one need to reset the anchors? or rely on dragging a bit as the anchors get turned and may or may not reset?

There is an inboard diesel (Yanmar 1GM rated at 13HP....won't do much good in a serious blow).
Old 14-08-2016, 12:25   #55

Really? Don't be ridiculous. Obviously you need a bigger anchor. A 15 lb. mushroom should hold fine.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 12:45   #56
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks, Tayana 42; no issues.
I trust she appreciates that other people can and do have their own experience. Regardless, we can can all learn from others if given the opportunity.
I should like to read (not discuss, and only if in plain language) more of said experience - was this at sea? Even being tied up securely in such conditions would not be pleasant but to be out in the ocean...........

What tactics were used and under what circumstances? I have been sailing off-shore since 1976 and commenced cruising in 1995 and I know I have a lot to learn and experience still. I often find I can learn something from people new to boating as well.
To be honest, I do find Zeehag's writings challenging and when I sought clarification...... well, you'll have read the response.

When people really are wordly, they normally make the effort to ensure that terminology is as clear as reasonably possible.
If I went around trying to emulate Dr Kananga I would end up having significant issues in many parts of the world.

I appreciate your commentary and will not attempt to read any similar further postings - they are just too confusing, for me, so I know I shall gain zero from them.

Best wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Bulawayo, take a deep breath and hear me as a friendly commenter.

Zeehag does, in fact, have much experience to back up her opinions. She has a perhaps unique sense of humor and her texting style may be influenced by some challenges controlling her fingers due to medical issues. But, be assured she has many, many years and miles of sailing experience including Gulf of Mexico storms and Mexican hurricanes including a direct hit by 200+ mph this year.

She is not young. Her boat is not young. Both have great experience and wisdom gained the hard way. I've even known her admit her errors on this forum. It is well worth trying to decipher her writing. We can learn somethings.

S/V B'Shert
Old 14-08-2016, 12:56   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ded reckoner View Post
Hurricane Ike impacted the Galveston Bay area in 2008 causing extensive damage. For example, see video at . Waterford Harbor Marina is a special case as far as marinas go, since it is a hurricane hole (i.e. the boats are in slips below a berm on which are surrounding buildings and houses). But, I think the biggest advantage for Waterford, as seen in video at , is the marina had floating docks. After Hurricane Ike, almost all local marinas have upgraded to floating docks. As long as dock cleats are sized adequately and the docks have good structural integrity, there shouldn't be problems with docked boats. A named-storm response plan will need to indicate your sailboat is secured with ten appropriately sized dock lines (i.e. bow, stern, breast, fore and aft spring lines on each side). And, the sails (and bimini cover) need to be removed.
What this shows is that strong floating docks that will rise with the storm surge is key to survival. I think that was about a 12 foot surge and my boat and many more were less than 100 feet away in that marina and survived with little to no damage unless hit by free floating boats from fixed docks .With the kind of boat concentration in this area there is no way everyone can find a place to hide up a river or creek. Over sized and/or doubled lines and the removal of all canvas is important ,I was pissed to see how many people left there sails on !
sartorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 13:52   #58

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
Really? Don't be ridiculous. Obviously you need a bigger anchor. A 15 lb. mushroom should hold fine.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I thought I saw sand bottom a 27ft boat and a15# mushroom. Good luck. A mushroom is good for a mooring in a soft bottom and 15# might be good for a John boat. JMHO
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 14:11   #59
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What to do in case of a storm

Quote:
Thanks, Tayana 42; no issues.
I trust she appreciates that other people can and do have their own experience. Regardless, we can can all learn from others if given the opportunity.
I should like to read (not discuss, and only if in plain language) more of said experience - was this at sea? Even being tied up securely in such conditions would not be pleasant but to be out in the ocean...........

What tactics were used and under what circumstances? I have been sailing off-shore since 1976 and commenced cruising in 1995 and I know I have a lot to learn and experience still. I often find I can learn something from people new to boating as well.
To be honest, I do find Zeehag's writings challenging and when I sought clarification...... well, you'll have read the response.

When people really are wordly, they normally make the effort to ensure that terminology is as clear as reasonably possible.
If I went around trying to emulate Dr Kananga I would end up having significant issues in many parts of the world.

I appreciate your commentary and will not attempt to read any similar further postings - they are just too confusing, for me, so I know I shall gain zero from them.

Best wishes.
Bulawayo... I've copped for **** since I joined because I have a penchant for using 'Gay' text and UK slang.. even from certain 'Mod's'.. but I persist as I have the attitude that those who have an interest will read my posts.. and the rest can go swivel...
Its a world wide forum and as a result there's a lot of different folk.. bit like a busy Caribbean anchorage.. excluding the lagoon in St Martin.
Doubt Zee will lose any sleep if you don't read her posts.. all its proves is your lack of tolerance for others.. very 'African'..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 16:22   #60

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
Deep below your feet!
Nope, that's North. So South must be straight up into the sky
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote