Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2017, 22:23   #1

What to do if surveyor has not provided survey report?

Hi all! My partner and I are in the process of buying (our first) boat. It has been quite the learning experience, and our latest hang-up is the survey. We could use some advice. In short, it has been nearly two weeks since the inspection and we have yet to receive the survey report. We were given an original 5-7 days ETA.

I should note we have been keeping in touch with the surveyor, and have been given new timelines, only to have those timelines roll on by without them producing the report. I don't need to go into detail here, but there has been notable unprofessionalism on their part other than not getting what we paid for, leaving us wondering whether or not the surveyor is incompetent or simply does not care to follow-up now that they have our $$. We are surprised by their post-inspection behavior as they are SAMS accredited, have many years of experience, and previous interactions with them were positive.

Any advice on how to make sure we get the survey report, other than calling and e-mailing the surveyor repeatedly? Has anyone else had this experience?
amosjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 23:39   #2

Re: What to do if surveyor has not provided survey report?

I don't know. If they keep it up, consider sending them a bill.

Three Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 23:51   #3

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

If they are SAMS accredited telephone SAMS and ask them for advice. He probably doesn't want to loose his accreditation.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 01:41   #4

Did you get anything in writing regarding the deliver date for the report?

If yes, give them a due date (at or after when they committed to having the report ready) and inform them that if they fail to produce, you are going with a new surveyor and they will get no money for the work they have done. (read the contract you signed to make sure this doesn't violate it)

If no, get them to give you a firm date and then follow up that you will be getting a new surveyor if they fail to meet it. Next time get a due date in writing (X days after the survey or similar).

It doesn't say much about the quality of the survey. It does say a lot about their professionalism.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 02:00   #5

Boat: Outbound 44

Did you pay by credit card? If do, challenge with the CC company. Not sure why you would have paid before receiving the product.
Old 09-03-2017, 02:18   #6

Boat: Catalina 470

My answer unfortunately dosent help. Years ago I was in the same situation. He wouldn't responding to emails or ph calls, in the end I let it go. 3mths later I pulled into a marina up the coast. While walking along the dock I walked straight into him and a client he was talking to. I very politely confronted him regarding his theft of my money, although I was polite I was harsh and deliberately went out of my way to embarrass him.He returned his fee to me that day.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 05:27   #7

Yes, call SAMS. Give the surveyor a firm date and tell him that if you don't have the survey results by then you will be filing a formal complaint with SAMS. If you have already paid all of the money then that's a lesson for everyone else here -- hold back a significant amount until AFTER you receive the report. If you paid by credit card, dispute the charge.

This is definitely unprofessional, at the least. My question would be, did you accompany him on the survey? If not, are you really certain that he has even done a survey?

Finally, when this is all settled, be sure to come back and post a complete review, including naming names. Post reviews on Yelp, Angie's List, wherever. The only way to force people like this to either change or get out of the business is to expose them.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 05:39   #8
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Here's my advice, have a survey done to please the finance company. Then hire a "Marine" electrician, "Marine" diesel mechanic, "Marine" rigger, "Marine" A/C tech, and "Marine" plumber, for two or three hours of their time to look at the boat you are set on buying. Money far better spent.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 06:58   #9

Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner

I had a good experience with my surveyor. I needed a survey for insurance, I had already bought the boat because I knew what I was getting, a strong hull with lots of systems that needed to be updated.

I didn't pay the surveyor until his report was ready, and when it was ready I gave him the check and he gave me the report. (to be honest he actually gave me a draft of the survey before I paid him, but I asked him to make some corrections and he did so swiftly).

So maybe that's something to think about. Talk to the surveyor and offer to pay him when the report is ready.
Scot McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 07:51   #10

Boat: a sailing boat

Pay nothing until the report is delivered.

Call local surveyors association and report the conduct.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:33   #11

Boat: CSY 33
Send a message via MSN to wunderluster

If you were a surveyor would you give the report before being paid? The survey is their product. Where can you buy a product and have it delivered before being paid?

Once the report is sent they have no way to collect. All of the surveyors I have used get payment before getting off the boat.

Contact SAMs and follow up.
wunderluster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:35   #12

Boat: CSY 33
Send a message via MSN to wunderluster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Here's my advice, have a survey done to please the finance company. Then hire a "Marine" electrician, "Marine" diesel mechanic, "Marine" rigger, "Marine" A/C tech, and "Marine" plumber, for two or three hours of their time to look at the boat you are set on buying. Money far better spent.
Totally agree with this! It is more money up front but it pays for peace of mind and may save a bundle.
wunderluster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:36   #13

Boat: TBC

The very same problem happened to me two years ago.
I'd found a boat in the south of France and found a certified, recommended surveyor and arranged a survey at a cost of £650
I managed to be there as the survey was done and he did seem to be giving it a good going over. The first warning I had was when he managed to double the cost of my lift out when he took off for lunch after getting the yacht in the cradle and out the water. 😠
After finishing the inspection he promised to provide the survey within 7 days and we all went home.
A week later there was no survey so I sent an email. I then had a series of excuses and reasons why the survey hadn't been completed.
As I given a "deposit" on the yacht subject to survey I began to think I'd lose my deposit too.
Luckily I was able to get my deposit back as it was obvious the yacht was nowhere near as described and I eventually got my money back after complaining to the surveyors registration office. 😬😬😬
FilBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:39   #14

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

I hired a surveyor about 20 years ago, he did a good job I thought. I liked him too, he was so impressed with my blister repair that he recommended me to other clients. I hired him again about 4 years ago re survey a boat I had extensively renovated to raise my insurance before cruising. He was even more friendly now and spoke off and on as if he were Scarlett Ohara, in that southern belle accent we all find so soothing. The survey report was of some other boat, maybe a hybrid of mine and a hallucination. I wrote him corrections online, some of which he accepted. Then I sent him photos of items he said were not on my vessel. In the end I used the report, which after all still offered the value I wanted for insurance, and sent pictures of the " corrections " to the insurance company. Later I hear from several folks that he was in some weird destructive relationship with a much younger woman who was a junkie ( all hearsay I want to stress) and that his life was in a shambles. Then a new friend told me that this surveyor wrote such a terrible survey of a boat my friend bought that it cost him $ 50,000 to correct the missed or ignored or whatever items. When he confronted the surveyor the guy said sue me, I am not in any professional surveying societies, I have few assets and caveat emptor. Next time I buy a boat, not including the Cape Dory I bought yesterday without a survey, I will research surveyors and maybe do a $9 credit check online.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 10:51   #15

Boat: Bristol 40

I'm sorry to hear of your experience with your surveyor. This is way to long to wait for a report. I am a surveyor myself and usually deliver reports in two to three days or a week at most if I am backed up and I always tell my clients when to expect the report and then deliver it on time.

If your surveyor is really a SAMS surveyor I would most certainly contact SAMS. Unfortunately both SAMS and NAMS get way to much credit for what they are.

Most surveyors belonging to these organizations are very professional and do a good job but by no means all of them. I am not a member of either and have surveyed boats that were done by both SAMS and NAMS surveyors that had missed some serious issues.

Water over the dam now but in the future it is worth asking around with local boat owners near your location for recommendations.

Best of luck and I hope you get resolution quickly.
Offshore1960 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
survey, surveyor