Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2006, 12:14   #1
mjb

Boat: Beneteau 473
what size engine for dinghy

I'm purchasing a 10' hard dinghy and would like to know what everybody recommends for the engine size. The Honda 2 HP has great reviews and only weights 27 lbs but 2 HP seems a little small. Tohatsu is coming out with a brand new 3.5 HP that only weighs 38 lbs. Getting up into the 4 to 6 HP range brings the weight up to around 55 lbs. I'm only looking to transport a maximum of 4 adults from the normal achorage/mooring to the dock and back. Thanks.
mjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 12:30   #2

Boat: Privilege 37
several other threads on engines for tenders. I have the tohatsu 3.5 and am a great fan of this engine. Small enough for my crew to lift, yet twice as much power as the 2 hp yamaha that was my previous engine. well able to push a boat with 4 people.

BTW, the honda has been upped in size to 2.3 hp in UK cause the 2 was not powerful enough, and you really have to make sure you stow it the right way up or you get engine oil everywhere.
Old 12-02-2006, 13:23   #3

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
Same answer I gave you in the Catalina forum

The 3.3 HP Merc weighs the same as the 2 HP motor, so go for it. You don't need much speed for your dingy since the great majority of your dingy motoring will be between boat and marina; the area will have reduced speed limits around 5 mph anyways so speed over that is wasted.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 17:47   #4
cruiser

For what it's worth, I will have an extra outboard come spring (I'm in LI Sound as well).

I have a Johnson 9.9 that came with this boat, and also a Tohatsu 5HP that runs great. It's from my last boat. I'll be keeping the 9.9 so I can blast around (it's fun!) and carry more crap to and fro at better speeds.

If you are interested in the Tohatsu, let me know. My contact info is on my website in my sig.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 18:54   #5
mjb

Thanks Sean.

I'll keep that in mind - but I think a 5 HP will be too much power and weight for my dinghy.
Old 12-02-2006, 19:22   #6
cruiser

Sorry... I mis-read your initial post. When I saw "hard dinghy", I read it as RIB. The 5hp is actually kind of heavy in that it does weigh down the stern a bit. I had the 5hp on an 8' hard dinghy and it was a little stern-heavy. It did plane with one person in it though!

But... it was very tricky to pilot. You could swamp/flip it pretty easily with any mistakes.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 20:04   #7
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Have tried the Honda 2 HP a few times and hated it:
Heavy and it vibrates like shaking is going out of style.

Same with the Mercury 3.3 two stroke..

All them single cylinder engines are a pain in the stern.

I love my old Evinrude 2 stroke, 2 cylinder, 10 years old or so.

Don't think they make 'em anymore so I have to keep overhauling it..The weight is only low 30s (Lbs) becuase there is no reverse gear and no metal cover.

(They made 2 versions, the "de-luxe" with reverse gear, metal cowling and other stuff, and the lean and mean light-weight plastic Evinrude that I have.

Would not change a thing...Except when the 4 stroke, 4 HP motors comes down to 32 lbs, and $800.00, then I would switch.
Old 12-02-2006, 21:13   #8

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
The 2-Stroke as we know it today will soon be faded out. There are fuel injected versions on trial but they will probably be just as exspensive as the 4-strokes. Then the only advantage to 2-stroke will be HP per weight.

2-Strokes
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 21:28   #9
mjb

new tohatsu's

Tohatsu is releasing new 2 hp and 3.5 hp engines this April. I believe Nissan, Mercury, and others will resell these two engines under their own labels. Both engines weigh 38.5 lbs. They are being sold for $795 and $855 respectively - with free shipping and no sales tax!!! Both include a forward-neutral shift and 360 degree swing for reverse. The Honda 2 HP is only 28 lbs - I'm thinking that the Tohatsu 3.5 HP at 38.5 lbs and $855 is the best bet. Is there any reason to consider the Tohatsu 2 HP since it's the same weight as the 3.5 HP (other than saving $60)?
Old 12-02-2006, 22:34   #10
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
The 2-Stroke as we know it today will soon be faded out
Aye, I know.

The enviromental folks are trying to outlaw the 2 strokes.

It looks good on the green ballots in Califorina..Save the trees and all that.

The real waste howver is the megayachts that burn 1000 gallons of diesel a day hauling some rich guy and his girlfriend around.

And the cruise ships running huge power-plants to propel, cook for and cool off 3000 people in the tropics.

And the US Navy running aircraft carriers around the planet with no filtration on the waste: They pump the toilet waste from 5000 sailors into the sea as they go along. There is a brown trail behind our Navy ships.

But the Feds are trying to outlaw the little guys with their 2 stroke outboards....

Tags
dinghy, engine, size