Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2011, 06:39   #61

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: What Rules Do You Have for Guests Aboard ?

If you look up the Egret web page (you can find it from the Nordhavn site) they have a nice write up about crew expectations.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:25   #62

Boat: Skookum 53'

1 simple rule, do it my way all of the time!
Old 01-10-2011, 07:36   #63

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

I learned long ago that people will not retain more than 2 or 3 ideas from any meeting or conversation. So I keep it simple:

1) Toilet: Men sit (always) and if it didn't come out of your body or off the toilet paper roll it should not be flushed.

2) Cockpit: If you stand up on a seat or leave the cockpit you must wear a PFD.

3) I instruct on use of the belt-type manual inflate PFD (for swimmers) and fit auto-inflate vests for elderly or non-swimmers. Kids get foam PFDs. Also, I wear my belt-type PFD all the time we're underway, as one never knows when you need to leave the cockpit for an unexpected event. Also it sets an example.

4) I warn about the hazards of the traveler and boom, and fingers/winches.

Yes that's 4 (not 2 or 3) but that's what I consider the bare minimum.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:52   #64
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i tell new folks that absolutely NO paper goes into toilet-- if you plug toilet, you FIX toilet.
any stores you consume that were on boat at your arrival be replaced BEFORE departure, at YOUR expense.
if you have a problem with my self or my boat-- speak up. only dumb question is that unasked one.
i try to have folks around BEFORE the trip for a few days to see how it will work out. helps to get to know boat and individuals involved.
some folks get upset that the boat isnt leaving immediately-- they can leave, thankyou--i need to know what it is i am taking with me to sea.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:02   #65

Boat: Morgan Classic 41

Confession time Judy. I stole your template for guests a looong time ago (almost two years I think) and refined it to fit our boat and style. It can be found HERE
Join The Journey
I hope I've done yours justice. Thanks, it was the best one I had ever found, and I looked around a bunch!
mjwarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:10   #66

good list, mj--perfect!! especially the admonishments.....
Old 01-10-2011, 08:55   #67

Boat: 1974 islander 44
And now I have stolen your list mj . Very well done . Ya might add the minimum amount of clothes for females to the end , but otherwise perfect
Svsilvergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:45   #68
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
+1 on writing them down! I write as though I were leaving the guests alone on the boat, I try to keep it light hearted with lines such as
  • If you see a fire feel free to put it out
  • If you see the "regular" crew donning life jackets: do the same!
  • The head (marine toilet) will choke on a matchstick; if you didn't eat or drink it last night, don't flush it this morning! (Note: the first person to violate this rule is immediately and forever designated "ship's plumber"
Be creative, write them all down, and insist on their use!

Oh yeah. I had one person cancel on a cruise as soon as she read the rules. I think she thought she knew more than me and this would be her opportunity to prove it. My email made it clear that I would be skipper and that was enough for her.

Unfortunately another guy didn't bother to read it ... and then kept trying to appoint himself skipper -- even though he didn't have a depth sounder, had never used a chart plotter (and refused to learn what it did), had never used a diesel -- it goes on and on and on. We had to turn back due to engine problems but if we'd continued, I would have put him off.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:03   #69

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

I don't have guests, I have crew. Once that is understood, all else follows.

I want people aboard to understand that while not much will be expected of them, a few things will, and that even the least experienced will be expected to participate as their capacities permit. That might involve sitting in front of the mast keeping an eye out for stuff in the water, or it might consist of making dinner or standing a watch.

"Passengers" can charter.

If I am quite clear on my expectations, visiting "crew" understand I'm not going to go rogue pirate on them, but will insist on them sharing the duties. Frankly, it lessens the chance of seasickness or boredom if you are given a pair of binoculars, a line to trim, a chart to puzzle out or a bearing to take. A busy boat is a happy boat.

I once thought a crew of skippers would be a disaster, but my experience has actually been quite pleasant and one sleeps more soundly knowing a guy with a 35 footer is on watch on the 42 footer, or vice versa. One of the funniest things I've seen sailing is the watch change at 0600 hrs. featuring various groggy skipper crew emerging from bunks seeking coffee, which they immediately put down in order to walk around the deck looking in the dawn light for broken cotter pins or rings or little tears in the sails or suspicious puddles, etc.

When you see three guys do essentially the same silent, seamanlike "walk through" on a boat where they are actually mere crew and not the owner, you feel both reassured and feel like suppressing a laugh. I know I did. "You know how I know you're a skipper?"

Of course, the more experienced crew regularly keep eyes peeled for trouble in advance of it happening, but guests are usually trained in this direction or depth of detail.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:21   #70

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

I couldn't find the one on Egret but found this on the Nordhavn site.

http://www.nordhavn.com/resources/pr...un/02-crew.pdf
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:51   #71

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

The lesson of this and other threads is,

There are two kinds of cruising sailboats.

Those where T.P. is allowed in the head and those where it isn't.

On no other point can I find skippers more evenly divided.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:16   #72

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Don't know how to guard against this but on one delivery from Mazatlan to San Diego, I had one crew member 'lose it'. Poor young guy was bi polar and had not brought his meds. Even though I vetted him carefully, his mental state was not apparent to me or his former skippers.
He was really competent and a nice guy but the drama was so extreme that I had come about and return to Cabo San Lucas and put him off.
I had to arrange for my son to fly down and complete the delivery with me.
Don't mean to drift this thread but the mental state of crew and guests can be an important safety factor when at sea.
Any ideas on how to deal with this issue? Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:26   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

We had a thread some time back where crew was taken on, had a good reference and then acted out endangering and criminal behavior without remorse. That was the question of the day; how do you avoid these situations but I don't recall anyone having a good answer.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:35   #74

is a problem--i have to find these things out before i leave port, as is just me n bubby and he doesnt kill well ..yet......so i have them learn boat while in port and then see what happens. if they get too antsy ios for a reason. if they dont like going 100 mi off shore, is ok. if they leave, isnt a bad thing. usually is a reason for their leaving before the boat leaves port.
when i have the potential crew around for a few days i can kind of get the idea of who they are and habits--i dont have enough room for many folks and i dont have much patience for the folks who NEED special treatment. special treatment is for their own boat, and special needs must be cared for by those needing those special needs. or a hospital of their choice, at their own expense.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:36   #75

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

I recall that one, Hummingway... something to do with a couple who brought controlled subtances aboard, had tried to hide some and then call authorities because they were pissed at the skipper who put them off the boat. They also had great references as well as I recall.
Without turning it into an interrogation, I would try to question the prospective guest/crew about their stability without revealing that I might have reason from a former employer to ask the question. I clearly didn't do this and have always wondered if I had been a little more forthright if it would have given me pause to take the fellow on.
It is a tough one for me, and others I suspect... Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote