Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-10-2013, 11:15   #1

Boat: Hardin Sea Wolf 41ft
What movie cam do you recommend

I want to buy a camcorder or whatever they call them nowadays to record our sailing adventures. I've had a look at the Go-Pro which looks great but perhaps a bit one dimension-able, eg all wide angle stuff.

What have you got, and do some fare better against the elements than others. Don't really want to spend more than $500 and would like one that has an external mic facility that I could put one of those fluffy wind shields on to stop the noise of the wind.

Thanks in advance

Old 21-10-2013, 11:35   #2

Re: What movie cam do you recommend

I will be interested to see the answers you get,I Have the same opinion about the go pro,all the mounts make for a big +
I have wanted to do a better documention of several trips but would not bring the camera out in the conditions that would have been interesting and I needed both hands

Old 21-10-2013, 11:42   #3

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

IMHO, the GoPro is a good bet because you can take it up on deck without fear. One drop of saltwater in a regular camera makes it into a nice looking paperweight (ask me how I know.) There are usually some drops flying around on the ocean.

Other advantages to the GoPro is that you can put it in you pocket and carry it around without a hassle. Try that with a digital SLR. It works well under most lighting conditions. It takes still pictures. It's always in focus. You can take it snorkling and diving. Anyway, good luck on the search.
Old 21-10-2013, 12:00   #4

Boat: Valiant 40

I have a Samsung HMX-W300 that I'm very happy with. It's small, waterproof, shockproof, rustproof, inexpensive, and takes pretty good video.

IMHO it does not make sense to spend a lot on a video camera unless you're a real video nut because anything you buy today will be an antique in a year or two. Why spend $300+ on a camera when next year you'll be able to get the same quality and features for half the price?
Old 21-10-2013, 13:02   #5

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

I've used Sony Camcorders in the past (1990-2009), going from 8mm to Hi-8 to Digital 8. All of the cameras were under $300 and took decent video for each stage of the technology. I stayed with the Sony line for backward compatibility with the video I had already shot. Everything is Digital HD today, so the compatibility issue is not a major concern. I still have my Digital 8 camera, but will replace with an HD camera if and when I am ready to shoot more video. Since I haven't started looking for a new camcorder I can't make a recommendation, although I have a preference for Sony products.
IMO, having good video editing software is as important as the camera you choose. Unlike still photos, a video has to tell a story - otherwise it's just a home movie that no one wants to watch. There are low-end editing packages that are bundled with some computers, but I recommend getting a package that is aimed at the high end of the consumer market. I currently use Pinnacle Studio 16, which has all of the editing features I've used in the past. If all you want to do is post a few short clips on YouTube then you probably don't need to invest in editing software. However, if you want to produce a little more permanent video record editing software becomes very important.

John
Old 21-10-2013, 13:29   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Can't say enough good things about my GoPro:

Old 21-10-2013, 13:59   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I've got three GoPros, my Canon super zoom, and a Contour. If I had to pick one for the rest of my life, I'd pick the Contour, hands down.

GoPro:
+ When it works, it's great.
+ Better field of vision in general.
+ Great accessories.
- Stupid expensive by the time you get all the doo-dads.
- Miserable customer support.
- Buggy hardware and software.
- Difficult / impossible to reconfigure once "in the environment".

Contour:
+ Cheaper, more stuff right out of the box.
+ Much longer battery life.
+ Easier to interface with.
+ Dive housing is dirt cheap and works simple.
+ Almost no fogging problems, and you can use non $20 anti-fog inserts (unlike GoPro).
+ Rock solid stability.
- Bigger.
- GoPro's super fish eye lense really is great in a lot of ways.

As an example though, this was filmed by my Contour (Roam model):

And this was via my GoPro:

Old 21-10-2013, 14:03   #8

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

GoPro hero III Black...no question, and its not all wide angle, its infinitely adjustable. Impressive light control, cant say enough good things about it.
Old 21-10-2013, 14:07   #9

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
...IMHO it does not make sense to spend a lot on a video camera unless you're a real video nut because anything you buy today will be an antique in a year or two. Why spend $300+ on a camera when next year you'll be able to get the same quality and features for half the price?
My buddy has a Go-Pro mounted on his helmet for skiing and it takes a beating and is easy to control even in foul weather. I agree one can buy a 1-2yr old model and save $.

I use my iPhone. The headphone mics have noise cancelling. I have another friend, who's daughter was in film school and taped her iPhone to the tripod when her video-cam failed during a shoot.
Old 21-10-2013, 14:08   #10

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Sounds like Contour is out of business. I'm sure you can still get product online.
Old 21-10-2013, 14:26   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
Sounds like Contour is out of business. I'm sure you can still get product online.
Damn, that sucks! I wish they would have cranked the price a few bucks and put more into marketing. No one heard of them and they built a terrific product. GoPro really crushed them by getting in first to market and pushing into retail venues.

I think I'll snag one of the higher end Contours just to have a spare. Really it's a terrific product.

With a squaretrade (or equivalent) warranty you'll get your money back anyway if it goes kaput, and I'd stake my chances with that well over the miserable support of GoPro.

Tags
men, movie

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: