Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-07-2016, 11:05   #31

Re: What kind of sailboat should I buy?

just noticed tiller steering. Can you outfit a tiller steered boat with electric autopilot? What are the differences between tiller and wheel steering? Which is better?

Old 07-07-2016, 11:16   #32

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

Yes tiller pilot, a little more hassle to setup and store each time you use it. Have to put it on and off each time vs throw a lever on a wheel pilot.
Wheel vs tiller, more "feel" to a tiller more instinct to a wheel for newbies wife, kids, guests.
I prefer wheel easier to leave helm for short time to raise, lower,adjust sails without needing autopilot.

Old 07-07-2016, 13:43   #33

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

With the $20k price limit I would suggest a C&C Mega30 http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=732

There's standing headroom under the bubble.
Relatively fast
Good berths for 4, though no double berths unless you arrange something in the cockpit.
Head is in the forepeak.
Lifting keel, will sail with keel partially retracted.
Trailer able: retracting Brel, 8' beam, 4400lb empty.
Self tending jib makes sailing single- or short-handed much easier.

Other than no double berth this look s to be pretty good as long as you have or can borrow a row vehicle. No reason it couldn't spend the whole season in the water.

A house is but a boat so poorly built and so firmly run aground you would never try to refloat it.
Old 07-07-2016, 14:26   #34

Boat: OPB = Crewing in 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainebristol View Post
If you do check out that boat, most alcohol stoves are fine, but years ago Kenyon made a pressurized alcohol stove. They are pretty bad, in my experience. No biggy. New stoves, much safer, are around $200 or so. Everything else sounds normal and good, particularly the sails (BIG deal). Condition, however, is everything.

Good points on the weather and on pressurized alcohol stoves (old style).

I would never have a pressurized alcohol stove on a boat. They may look very similar to the newer style alcohol stoves, but there is a much higher risk of catastrophic flare ups happening with the pressurized type.
Ahoy All Sailors! Need experienced crew for a passage or delivery in Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, Med, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean anytime in 2017? I am available on 24hr notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Steady Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 14:36   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganMikeUK View Post
just noticed tiller steering. Can you outfit a tiller steered boat with electric autopilot? What are the differences between tiller and wheel steering? Which is better?
Yes, you can add a relatively low cost "Tiller Pilot."

And, at that size boat I would MUCH rather have a tiller! Several reasons.

Better for you to read one of the threads where that same issue "tiller or wheel" has been discussed at length, so you can learn the pros and cons to both sides.

You can find those discussions using "Google Custom Search" using your browser and this forums search menu.
---

My Favorite CF Forum Tip: Use the Google Custom Search Function

I know that most people who are new to this forum might try the ordinary search function of the forum when they have a question in mind. Unfortunately that always yielded few results for me when I tried that when I first joined this forum. In contrast, a standard Google search outside of the forum can produce a bewildering list of links too. It was only later that I learned to quickly and easily find great links to archived or previous threads on a topic. Since then I only use the Google Custom Search field on this forum when searching this forum, and I find all the answers I need here too using that. I find it superior to an ordinary search using the standard "search" field and usually get the answers I want very quickly. So, it is my "number one tip" to newer forum members. .

Note! The Google Custom Search field is found under the "Search" menu seen at the top of your browser window when you are in the CF forum on any page. However, it is NOT shown as an option if you are viewing the Forum site using the CF Mobile app. Use a browser like Safari instead.
Ahoy All Sailors! Need experienced crew for a passage or delivery in Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, Med, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean anytime in 2017? I am available on 24hr notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Old 07-07-2016, 15:27   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

I would buy a ballasted daysailer. You get a small cabin of sort plus you can swing a tent over the boom and sleep in it in the summer too.

Something 20 to say 25 ft, A Bridges, a Pisces. Maybe a J or an Alerion, etc. if you are fancy and wealthy.

b.
Old 07-07-2016, 15:47   #37

Boat: 2002 Seawind 1000 (33 ft) Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I would buy a ballasted daysailer. You get a small cabin of sort plus you can swing a tent over the boom and sleep in it in the summer too.

Something 20 to say 25 ft, A Bridges, a Pisces. Maybe a J or an Alerion, etc. if you are fancy and wealthy.

b.
I would never buy a water ballasted boat as first one. Sister and BIL had hunter 25 on lake. Water ballast. Wind gusts at 15 knots were knock down. Too tippy. Just about ended their sailing at first boat. If wind forecasts was over 10 knots she would not go out. Yeah, I can hear you guys yelling what pussies they are. But what wife with a young child wants to have the boat dump onto its rail with relatively minor wind gusts?

They now own a Catalina 28 with fixed keel. And enjoy sailing.
Old 07-07-2016, 16:39   #38

Turns out the Columbia has signs of a leak on inside cabin wall near a window. Is this a deal breaker, or is it fixable? It is currently on a rack.
Old 07-07-2016, 18:17   #39

Boats this old will have signs of prior leaks.
Not a usually a big deal but that boat is on the wrong side of the state. Long way around to get to where you plan on sailing. Check local Craigslist and local marina's.
Old 07-07-2016, 18:22   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
I would never buy a water ballasted boat as first one. Sister and BIL had hunter 25 on lake. Water ballast. Wind gusts at 15 knots were knock down. Too tippy. Just about ended their sailing at first boat. If wind forecasts was over 10 knots she would not go out. Yeah, I can hear you guys yelling what pussies they are. But what wife with a young child wants to have the boat dump onto its rail with relatively minor wind gusts?

They now own a Catalina 28 with fixed keel. And enjoy sailing.
Jumaji,

Why WATER ballasted?

I meant a ballasted boat. Like a piece of lead or something attached below the boat. Something like the examples I have listed. Day sailors will a small cabin fore.

Water ballasted? Hmmmm. I do not know. I prefer a crate of ale in any case ;-)

Cheers,
b.
Old 07-07-2016, 18:26   #41

1975 Tartan 27 centerboard $4500 Harrison township.
Detroit Craigslist.
S2 27 foot $7500 Port Sanilac.
Ericson 32 $13900 Richland.
Old 07-07-2016, 18:40   #42

If you could get to around $20000 I like the Hunter 37 cutter in the water Lake St Clair. They are asking $24000 more than you wanted to spend but....
I've owned two of this model still miss it some days.
Detroit Craigslist.
Old 07-07-2016, 19:20   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganMikeUK View Post
Turns out the Columbia has signs of a leak on inside cabin wall near a window. Is this a deal breaker, or is it fixable? It is currently on a rack.
First, almost ALL boats have minor leaks, especially around the windows. This is VERY common. And, it is usually one of the first things a new owner decides to fix after spending a night on the boat during some rain.

It is something every boat owner can learn to fix, and uses simple tools, some goop in a tube (think sticky glue) and a knife. I would expect to "rebed or reseal the portlights") on any boat, including much younger boats than the one linked. It can be time consuming and sticky (messy) work, so many owners tend to put it off and so the stains.

So, no, I would not consider a few water stains to be a deal breaker.

If the boat is on the hard (up on supports on dry land) this is good so you can see the bottom, look carefully at the rudder, and generally check to see what shape or condition the hull is in. IF you wanted to purchase, you would purchase with a contract that says you will do so after the engine has been proven to work, etc. The conditions or terms of the sale are negotiable.

Be aware that most boats of that size and age will have OLD sails, OLD engines, and usually have some ratty looking cushions that need to be replaced. Most of that size do NOT have a Bimini or good canvas, and most are not very clean. ALL of those things cost time and money to repair, replace, or simply clean.

Tags
sail, sailboat

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: