Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: "What kind of Cruiser are you?
I have done or currently am a “Blue Water Cruiser” (BWC) 39 46.43%
I have a definite plan and date when I will become a BWC 10 11.90%
I am a “Coastal/Local Area Cruiser”, with no real BWC experience 26 30.95%
I am a “Dreaming Cruiser” who sails, but will never be a BWC 0 0%
I am a yacht “Wanna Be”; I don’t own/lease a yacht 9 10.71%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2009, 15:57   #1

Boat: Buizen 48
What Kind of Cruiser Are You?

A recent poll had me thinking this weekend: "What kind of Cruisers are on CF"???

Thus please cast your vote accordingly. This poll will remain open until 31 August to ensure a large sample of members to contribute.

I suspect both advertizers on this site, and members with specific interests would find this information informative.

William
Old 19-07-2009, 16:22   #2

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
We purchased our boat in RI, we sailed Block Island Sound and Long Island Sound. Last fall we started South and we are presently in Jacksonville FL via the ICW. We really never were more than 5-6 miles offshore the couple of times we took her outside. We hope to make to the Bahamas in the Fall.
Old 19-07-2009, 17:12   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 38 Gin Fizz- Rhosyn Mor
been there, still doing it
Old 19-07-2009, 17:20   #4

Boat: O'day 322 "Southern Comfort"
Galveston Bay area sailor here. I am a full time employed live aboard and just coastal sail around here. I do plan on doing some BWC someday though. A heavy blue water boat is about 5 years away.
Old 19-07-2009, 17:40   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
I checked the BWC choice, but I'm actually a "cockpit Potato", Sure I'll take a distance offshore in the best of weather, but I don't commit to questionable conditions or deadlines. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 19-07-2009, 17:52   #6
TOM

Boat: Footloose 40 steel cutter
Bluewater cruiser.

Out there doing it.

www.byamee.com
Old 19-07-2009, 18:08   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
I checked the BWC choice, but I'm actually a "cockpit Potato", Sure I'll take a distance offshore in the best of weather, but I don't commit to questionable conditions or deadlines. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Sorry mate, but as I see it (and I'm the poll's creator), you are more accurately a Coastal Cruiser ... unless you can can define what you have actually done that defines what you call "a distance off-shore"
Old 19-07-2009, 18:21   #8

Boat: Freedom 32
I don't know which catagory I fit. We traveled 600 miles in the past 4 months from Mobile AL to Fort Myers FL with a few overnights. 40 miles offshore in bad weather at night sure felt a bit more than the "coastal/local" catagory, but I wouldn't want to overstep by calling it bluewater if the experts feel it needs to be 100 or a 1,000 miles offshore for several days and/or to qualify.
Old 19-07-2009, 18:49   #9

Boat: 1974 Sabre 28 Mk I - Icefire
Professionally or recreationally?

Well, in the Navy I've crossed many oceans.

Of course, that's in submarines, so it probably doesn't count for this poll.

I bought Icefire in Yarmouth, ME. Sailed her from Maine to Connecticut via the Anisquam and Cape Cod Canals, then did a bunch of sailing in Long Island Sound. Trucked her down to Annapolis and did a bunch of Chesapeake sailing. As soon as the engine's fixed, I'll be doing the ICW to Charleston. So some ocean sailing along the Maine, NH, and Northern MA coasts, but nothing I'd really call Blue Water.

Someday, I'd like to sail all over the world. Depends on the Admiral, mostly.

Old 19-07-2009, 20:34   #10

Cool What Kind of Cruiser Are You? (update)

For the record, please do not incorrectly interpret my statement in my initial post:

"I suspect both advertizers on this site, and members with specific interests would find this information informative."

I DID NOT initiate this poll for some commercial reason/group, or with any specific group in mind. Be assured, neither is the case.

That said, I will be periodically update the ratio of views to voters, as well as how many Moderators participate.

It would be interesting to know what our Moderator's sailing experience actually is.

As of this post there are 23 votes out of 165 viewers, and no Moderators voting.

I wonder what over 140 people and the 5 Moderators currently on-line, have to hide???
Old 19-07-2009, 20:50   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Star View Post
I don't know which catagory I fit. We traveled 600 miles in the past 4 months from Mobile AL to Fort Myers FL with a few overnights. 40 miles offshore in bad weather at night sure felt a bit more than the "coastal/local" catagory, but I wouldn't want to overstep by calling it bluewater if the experts feel it needs to be 100 or a 1,000 miles offshore for several days and/or to qualify.

Firstly RS, I started this poll but in no way consider myself an expert ... and I have done my share of BWC.

I think you raise a very good query.

Thus for the sake of this poll "outside the 200 mile limit" will be considered BWC.

Hope that helps.

William
Old 19-07-2009, 20:56   #12
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
the first rule of blue-water cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSovereign View Post
Thus for the sake of this poll "outside the 200 mile limit" will be considered BWC.
...is not to let someone else tell you whether you've done it or not.

(If you've sailed out of sight of land, you have my permission to call yourself whatever you want. On the other hand, some folks say you've got to cross an ocean. But if you look real close at a globe, you'll notice that there's only one ocean covering this planet, and that no matter where you are, you're always off the coast of one continent or another.)
Old 19-07-2009, 20:59   #13

Another Clarification

For the purposes of defining the difference between Blue Water Cruising (BWC) and Coastal/Local Cruising, sailing outside of the 200 mile limit will be considered BWC

Hope this clarifies matters.
Old 19-07-2009, 21:04   #14
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
by the way...

...if you cross the North Sea from Aberdeen, Scotland to Skudenshavn, Norway, you'll never be more than 200 nm from shore. And if someone tells you at that point that you haven't done a bluewater passage, laugh at him.
Old 19-07-2009, 21:24   #15

Votes needed ... NOT personal opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
...is not to let someone else tell you whether you've done it or not.

If you've sailed out of sight of land, you have my permission to call yourself whatever you want. On the other hand, some folks say you've got to cross an ocean. But if you look real close at a globe, you'll notice that there's only one ocean covering this planet, and that no matter where you are, you're always off the coast of one continent or another.)
Thanks very much for your opinion Bash.

However, I've established the poll using quantifiable criteria, rather than leave the definition open to personal opinions such as yours. That's how validated polls are taken ... using quantifiable criteria.

Of course if anyone's ego (including yours) requires they call themselves a BWC when in fact they have really been a Coastal Cruiser, well most certainly feel free to vote yourself into the BWC category ... if that makes you feel better
Closed Thread