Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: "What kind of Cruiser are you?
I have done or currently am a “Blue Water Cruiser” (BWC) 39 46.43%
I have a definite plan and date when I will become a BWC 10 11.90%
I am a “Coastal/Local Area Cruiser”, with no real BWC experience 26 30.95%
I am a “Dreaming Cruiser” who sails, but will never be a BWC 0 0%
I am a yacht “Wanna Be”; I don’t own/lease a yacht 9 10.71%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2009, 07:38   #76

Boat: Buizen 48
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
BS by name BS by nature?

I think you need to get out more Lots more to do in the world than deliberately being a tw#t on the internet..............but that's only if your mum lets you of course
Now David, didn't your mommy tell you, you'll go blind using those hands of yours for self-gratitification ... by typing without wearing your glasses....
Old 21-07-2009, 07:48   #77

Boat: Gullfstar 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
- assuming I ever caught for my crimes
Now who has something to hide

p.s. Only 9 more days till the poll closes
Old 21-07-2009, 08:32   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Once in a while you meet a character whose objective is anything but!...... and seems to delight in stirring up personal slights and attacks on those who simply and politely query the validity of what they are trying to do, or infuse suspicions on neutral Moderators.

For the record:
  • Experience does not equal competency
  • Ego has nothing to do with trying to qualify a meaningful response
  • Clerics make unfortunate shipmates!
  • A sailor who tries to pigeon hole his response to every situation is usually the one who ends up wrecked on the beach.
In the end, the tenor of this pollster now makes me simply state:

“Perfect Example of when to Ignore!”…. which I will now proceed to do
How about that Ladies and Gentlemen, give this "Opinion" a round of applause. Not many individuals are prepared to go on record by demonstrating they are "intellectually challenged" by the English language

Here's a few cases in point:

The example of "total experience versus years of experience so many times", has been used by behavioural scientists for at least 40 years to illustrate that "Experience does not equal competence". Thus this "Opinion" failed to realise he was in fact agreeing with yours truly rather than identifying a fault in my factual information.

Then of course there is his use of the word "Ego". I might be forgiven for thinking this worthy??? "Opinion" would likely be amazed to learn that the use of the Latin term "Ego" in English, was the means to translate Freud's German term Das Ich. Das Ich means "the I" which most certainly our worthy??? "Opinion" has demonstrated is his primary focus! (i.e. which I will now proceed to do)

BTW, for the General Public's information (which of course includes "non-members" who can "view" this thread), of the over 1500 "viewers", and 72 "voters" (number has risen sharply), still NOT EVEN ONE Moderator has voted ... which of course includes the above Moderator who has honourably attempted to keep some "Opinions" in line, FrankZ

Ladies and Gentlmen, let's take a moment to give FrankZ a round of applause (even if he "for some reason" hasn't voted)!

Thus, I might be forgiven for thinking the now very substantial number of "viewers" might very easily conclude that:
  1. There are a hell of a lot of "Opinion" members on CF
  2. Moderators are nothing more than that ... moderators, not voters
I wonder .... could the latter in any way be correlated with the work of Behavioural Scientists over 40 years ago??? Just posing a question for thought .....
Old 21-07-2009, 09:10   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dune View Post
Now who has something to hide

p.s. Only 9 more days till the poll closes
So "Great Communicator", does that mean you're "shouting" everyone drinks when it does???

BTW, since I note you have not voted, and thus I am left with no choice but to conclude you have not done any BWC, "shouting" in NZ and Australia is the expression used for "buying".

While I am on the subject of not voting, and you have had an obvious need to demonstrate you are an "Opinion", I note the "Wanna Be's" are only slightly ahead of the "Planning to's". Perhaps you might like to help the "Wanna Be's" out"???
Old 21-07-2009, 09:50   #80
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
William,

Cool your jets, man. You're pushing the "be nice" limits a little to closely.

Internet boards like CF are created expressly to allow people to express their opinions. We love opinions here, because they lead to interesting and lively discussions, broadening of views, and learning of new things. Your practice in this thread of ridiculing those who offer an opinion is completely out of place.

And repeatedly making demeaning statements suggesting that a member whom you assume (your opinion, not necessarily fact) has done no water sailing">blue water sailing is somehow inferior to one who has is, frankly, BS. I know many "coastal" sailors who are much more accomplished, knowledgeable and competent than some of the "BWS" (by your definition) sailors that I know.

Your getting a bit of pushback on your poll, but that doesn't give you license to be rude, sarcastic, and demeaning to those who question your premises.
Old 21-07-2009, 10:25   #81
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSovereign View Post
Sorry mate, but as I see it (and I'm the poll's creator), you are more accurately a Coastal Cruiser ... unless you can can define what you have actually done that defines what you call "a distance off-shore"
No appology needed!- as you are the poll's creator the definition is your burden. As I see you came up with the 200 mile offshore criterium, then I'll stand as selected at BWC; however, I'll also stand by my original statement that characterizes my offshore cruising as a prudent choice dictated by weather selection and timing. I think the term "bluewater" is more often a characterization of the crew than the vessel though both are subject to failure. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 21-07-2009, 10:27   #82

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
William,

Cool your jets, man. You're pushing the "be nice" limits a little to closely.

Internet boards like CF are created expressly to allow people to express their opinions. We love opinions here, because they lead to interesting and lively discussions, broadening of views, and learning of new things. Your practice in this thread of ridiculing those who offer an opinion is completely out of place.

And repeatedly making demeaning statements suggesting that a member whom you assume (your opinion, not necessarily fact) has done no blue water sailing is somehow inferior to one who has is, frankly, BS. I know many "coastal" sailors who are much more accomplished, knowledgeable and competent than some of the "BWS" (by your definition) sailors that I know.

Your getting a bit of pushback on your poll, but that doesn't give you license to be rude, sarcastic, and demeaning to those who question your premises.
Sorry Hud, however I believe your accusation is unwarranted.

May I suggest that you re-read all of my posts. I have NEVER stated or assumed that a coastal cruiser is inferior to a BWC!

In one paragraph you state "We love opinions here", and in the next paragraph accuse me that my opinion is pushing the "be nice" limits" and basing your statement on an assumption which I have never stated or for that matter ever assumed!

FTR ... once again ... I have stated the basis for my establishing the poll, have acknowledged in hindsight the categories could have been better defined and even more randomly ordered, and the number of participants and views clearly establishes it has created a significant amount of interest.

Poor Armanda01 posted a poll only 3 days ago requesting insight to BWC budgeting estimates versus actual costs, and to date he has received only 6 votes and 167 views!

When comparing the number of poll participants and viewers in the two polls, I can't see how you can imply such a difference in numbers has been a result of my "not being nice", or for that matter where I have specifically stated that BWC's are better than or more competent than Coastal Cruisers.

To the contrary, my articulated point (3x now) that experience does not equate to competence is evidence of that.
Old 21-07-2009, 16:29   #83

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Sorry Hud, however I believe your accusation is unwarranted.
William, William, William. You are missing the big picture here. In a recent post you said:

" How about that Ladies and Gentlemen, give this "Opinion" a round of applause. Not many individuals are prepared to go on record by demonstrating they are "intellectually challenged" by the English language"

I read this as an insult to Pelagic, who had written his honest opinion. Even though you used a smiley face, it aint cutting it. If this keeps up, I will be forced to post another poll:

Ban BS from the forum?

1- Hell yes!
2- Well, yes!
3- Yeah, Why not?
4- Who cares...
5- No, I absolutely love him and want to hear more!

See, I used a smiley face, so this all must be a joke...

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Old 21-07-2009, 17:10   #84

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
William, William, William. You are missing the big picture here. In a recent post you said:

" How about that Ladies and Gentlemen, give this "Opinion" a round of applause. Not many individuals are prepared to go on record by demonstrating they are "intellectually challenged" by the English language"

I read this as an insult to Pelagic, who had written his honest opinion. Even though you used a smiley face, it aint cutting it. If this keeps up, I will be forced to post another poll:

Ban BS from the forum?

1- Hell yes!
2- Well, yes!
3- Yeah, Why not?
4- Who cares...
5- No, I absolutely love him and want to hear more!

See, I used a smiley face, so this all must be a joke...
Firstly CVH, permit me to take this opportunity to sincerely thank you for making the above post, so that the poll and this thread remains in the "consciousness" (TJ loves that word ) of viewers, members, and of course our Moderators

This is extremely important because as Dune was so very kind to bring to everyone's attention, it only has 8 more days to go.

As it pertains to your "I read this as an insult ", realise of course that perception is strongly influence by Das Ich, and thus it is not something, it is nothing!

As it pertains to your suggested above poll, based on my personal experince, and knowledge axcquired from this thread:
  • It's hierarchy is biased, that apparently insulting to CF members and is thus a "no-no"
  • It's discriminatory (has only one answer that possibly can be considered not insulting ... another "no-no"
  • It lacks any quantifiable criteria (i.e. banned for how long: a day, aweek, a month, forever, etc)
  • It does not allow "viewers" to vote, thus the results will undoubtedly be skewed ... against me
Most importantly, and as I failed to do, it has only 5 options. It would be best to design a poll that has either 4 or 6 answers to ensure a "forced distribution" which can more easily be analyzed.

Those flaws aside, may I suggest you do not initiate it until after this poll closes ... as I would genuinely like to see the current poll achieve a decent sample size, so that I might perform a unvalidated and unreliable analysis.

Again, thanks for your unwavering support.

William aka 'The PIRATE'
Old 21-07-2009, 17:12   #85

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
No problem William! You really are a Master Debater!

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Old 21-07-2009, 17:50   #86

Hey mate... I was born and raised in a tough neighbourhood in NYC. You needed to be able to both debate AND know how to handle yourself to survive.

That aside, I will take the liberty, incorrectly perhaps, to take your statement as a compliment!

William aka 'The PIRATE'
Old 21-07-2009, 18:44   #87

Boat: Voyage 38 Catamaran
Alegria

We are currently on our third year crusing. We are in Aruba and our next stop is Cartagena.
Dan
www.svalegria.com
Old 21-07-2009, 18:52   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
A true scientific poll does not allow participants to opt in. Participants must be randomly selected.
While I don't wish to participate in this conversation, I have to dispute the above. There are literally thousands of scientific survey methodologies, and opt-in - in one form or another - is the only ethical one allowed for publication in journals other than chart retrospective that I am aware of. And even the latter usually has extensive caveats and approvals required.

Edit: Ah, my partner the research scientist just pointed out that census data is not necessarily opt-in, though in most cases one may refuse to respond.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Old 21-07-2009, 18:55   #89

Boat: Catalina 34 - "Points North"
Quote:
So "Great Communicator", does that mean you're "shouting" everyone drinks when it does???

BTW, since I note you have not voted, and thus I am left with no choice but to conclude you have not done any BWC, "shouting" in NZ and Australia is the expression used for "buying".

While I am on the subject of not voting, and you have had an obvious need to demonstrate you are an "Opinion", I note the "Wanna Be's" are only slightly ahead of the "Planning to's". Perhaps you might like to help the "Wanna Be's" out"???
Off your meds? If so, get back on.
Old 21-07-2009, 18:56   #90

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by svAlegria View Post
We are currently on our third year crusing. We are in Aruba and our next stop is Cartagena.
Dan
www.svalegria.com
Well done Dan, way to go! Thanks for participating in the poll!

Regards

William aka 'The PIRATE'
Closed Thread