Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: "What kind of Cruiser are you?
I have done or currently am a “Blue Water Cruiser” (BWC) 39 46.43%
I have a definite plan and date when I will become a BWC 10 11.90%
I am a “Coastal/Local Area Cruiser”, with no real BWC experience 26 30.95%
I am a “Dreaming Cruiser” who sails, but will never be a BWC 0 0%
I am a yacht “Wanna Be”; I don’t own/lease a yacht 9 10.71%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2009, 05:24   #31
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoe71 View Post
And how is it relevant what the Mods sailing experience is? They are here to Moderate the board. If they happen to have great sailing experience so much the better.
They all have extensive sailing experience (except for me). Just have a gander at their profile pages. That'll answer those questions you might have.

Besides, we don't have to blow our own horns, we know we're good!
Old 20-07-2009, 05:42   #32

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Must confess if I had also read this thread earlier I probably wouldn't have bothered with a vote / response on the Poll thread..........rightly or wrongly I get the impression over both threads that you are trying to create a stick to beat (some?) folk with - hopefully time will prove me wrong
I must admit to getting the same sort if feeling David did. Part of it was that you tied most every definition to blue water cruising which I feel is an inherent bias. Also you started at what is typically a more advanced level (once again blue water cruising) instead of the basic level as most polls do.

Most polls I've seen from marine companies, etc would be something more like:

When you go sailing, what kind of boating do you most often enjoy:

1. Day sailing.
2. Long weekend cruises
3. Coastal cruising
4. Offshore cruising.
5. I'm just an arm chair sailor, but hope to change that soon!
Old 20-07-2009, 05:51   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSovereign View Post
... It would be interesting to know what our Moderator's sailing experience actually is.
As of this post there are 23 votes out of 165 viewers, and no Moderators voting.
I wonder what over 140 people and the 5 Moderators currently on-line, have to hide???
I believe that your implied assumption that the ability to Moderate might somehow be affected by one’s sailing experience is totally illogical. Forum Moderation and Sailing (Blue Water or Coastal) represent two entirely unrelated skill-sets.
Your miss-characterization that our Moderators have something to hide (the implication being that they have no Blue-Water experience) is insulting; as is your snide suggestion that Coastal Sailors are merely “local/coastal Wanna Be's”, implying they’re without merit.

Your definition of Blue-Water is arbitrary and deceptive. Whilst it allows me to respond that I’m a BWS, it unrealistically places me in the same category as our many trans-oceanic voyagers - which I’m not.

Likewise, I've built things of wood; but I'm not a carpenter.

Old 20-07-2009, 06:04   #34

Boat: Catalina 34 - "Points North"
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I believe that your implied assumption that the ability to Moderate might somehow be affected by one’s sailing experience is totally illogical. Forum Moderation and Sailing (Blue Water or Coastal) represent two entirely unrelated skill-sets.
Your miss-characterization that our Moderators have something to hide (the implication being that they have no Blue-Water experience) is insulting; as is your snide suggestion that Coastal Sailors are merely “local/coastal Wanna Be's”, implying they’re without merit.

Your definition of Blue-Water is arbitrary and deceptive. Whilst it allows me to respond that I’m a BWS, it unrealistically places me in the same category as our many trans-oceanic voyagers - which I’m not.

Likewise, I've built things of wood; but I'm not a carpenter.
Well said.
Old 20-07-2009, 06:16   #35
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
bluewater \ coastal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoe71 View Post
One senses that somehow, those of us who are "coastal cruisers" are somehow not quite up to the stature of the "bwcs".
This came up last night with a bunch of cruiser here in brazil, everyone has done a lot of miles to get here. Total agreement was that offshore is much easier then coastal. Not much to hit, set the sails and go for days on end. Coastal on the other hand has traffic, fishing boats, nav, tides etc to deal with. Gimme offshore any day, where near the top of the list of worries is running out of books to read.
Old 20-07-2009, 07:10   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
rightly or wrongly I get the impression over both threads that you are trying to create a stick to beat (some?) folk with - hopefully time will prove me wrong
Any time the poll requires a lot of explaining, long instructions, and the interpretations get confused the poll probably was not well formed. The poll feature here on CF has never been that useful. Web sites like "Mister Poll" show that as well even. Polling often is more an attempt to prove what most people think or what most people do. I'm not sure CF is about most people.

Boating provides a wide range of experiences and everyone can find a way they enjoy. It could be true that you really are having fun without a poll. I'm thinking I won't start a poll on that. If you are boating and it isn't fun or you don't know how to boat but want to then CF is all about that part too. Like the name says on the banner (scroll up all the way up this page) Cruising Boats, Cruising people, and Cruising answers.
Old 20-07-2009, 09:13   #37

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
I'll reply, I'm a blue water kind of gal.

As far as coastal cruising, I have found that coastal cruisers feel they are less experienced than BWC. When I talk to people about offshore cruising they will say - "I've only done coastal" = my experience is lacking. That (to me) cannot be further from the truth! It is a lot easier to head straight out to sea than it is to skirt the coast, more navigation work, more risks due to land and traffic. BWC I take a position once a day, keep a good look out and monitor the weather. When I make a landfall, the work really begins, Positions hourly and then more and more, stress of being near land, finding a good spot to anchor etc etc, by the time I anchor, I am tired, not from the crossing, but from the approach. Hope that made sense.
Cheers,
Erika
Old 20-07-2009, 09:18   #38
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
i think not so much as distance from shore but how many days did ye have to sail before achieving the ability to SEE shore???? and what color is the water under the keel---some of us see brown, some of us see green, some of us see blue---a rich beautiful blue with flying fish and no human neighbors..lol..
Old 20-07-2009, 10:00   #39
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
I find it awfully strange...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSovereign View Post
I wonder what over 140 people and the 5 Moderators currently on-line, have to hide???
...that someone conducting a poll would want to bully potential participants.

What's the point here? To give the poll taker a chance to beat his chest and proclaim himself superior to other cruisers?

I should think that real cruisers should be adverse to playing such games, and I think, further, that it speaks well of the maturity of the CF moderators, as cruisers as well as forum members, that they've declined the opportunity to play BS's game.

Most cruisers know this: it's not the color of the water you cruise that matters, it's how you get from point A to point B.
Old 20-07-2009, 10:20   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Lets not forget that the people who make up Cruisers Forum are not just blue water cruisers. Although Cruisers Forum is the name of this website and it generally discusses sailing, the skills, education and talents of the people who make up this forum goes far beyond blue water cruisers with sailboats.

Cruisers Forum has an accumulation of people who work as professionals in the yachting industry, people who fix boats for a living, people who sell boats and even people who design boats. Cruisers Forum also has people who operate both sail boats and power boats for a living. Some here have masters licenses with many many years of deep water experience on commercial vessels. Yet some people on this forum are here to learn, (I think most of us are) and who are in the market for their first boat, whether its sail or power.

One of the great things about this Cruisers Forum is the diversity of people with a huge variety of knowledge, talents, experiences....and opinions.

In a way, it would be much less of a forum if all we had were people who owned a sailboat and sailed it deep water.

I have never seen a pecking order here with blue water cruisers placed at the top. I see this forum as more of a team effort where people with knowledge specific to their expertise help out those with questions. That is the true value of Cruisers Forum.

Life begins where land ends.
Old 20-07-2009, 10:31   #41
Armchair Bucketeer

Q. What kind of Cruisers on CF.com?
A. Nice ones
Old 20-07-2009, 10:57   #42
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
I've sailed across the arctic circle a few times on a 11,345 grt icebreaker. Does that make me a bluewater sailor?
Old 20-07-2009, 12:16   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by knottybuoyz View Post
I've sailed across the arctic circle a few times on a 11,345 grt icebreaker. Does that make me a bluewater sailor?
Nope, it was not between 30 and 70 feet, it did not have red sails, it did not have a full length keel, it did not have baggy wrinkles, it was not a double ender and it did not have an oversized CQR anchor. Worse yet, you did not have a beard, an anchor tattoo and a greek skippers hat.

You are clearly NOT WORTHY!

Regards,
Popeye the Blue Water Cruiser

Life begins where land ends.
Old 20-07-2009, 13:04   #44

Boat: Sold the boat. Buying a van.
I wish to check the button that says:

-This poll seems too much like a "Mine is longer" discussion, therefore I refuse to vote!
Old 20-07-2009, 13:05   #45

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
I should think that real cruisers should be adverse to playing such games, and I think, further, that it speaks well of the maturity of the CF moderators, as cruisers as well as forum members, that they've declined the opportunity to play BS's game.
Who is this one called BS? Does BS reign here? Me thinks so. Out of 44 posts on this thread, 11 are BS. Thats alot of BS! Several members seem irritated by BS... some simply cant seem to stomach so much BS in one thread. Please remember that this poll is BS', and I'm sure he has a reason for so much BS in one thread. I'm sure BS will reveal all soon. Mods, please dont step in and squash BS. This is an important poll. I,BS, as well as many others are currently waiting for the other 25,000 members to chime in any time now. Let BS ring...

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Closed Thread