Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: "What kind of Cruiser are you?
I have done or currently am a “Blue Water Cruiser” (BWC) 39 46.43%
I have a definite plan and date when I will become a BWC 10 11.90%
I am a “Coastal/Local Area Cruiser”, with no real BWC experience 26 30.95%
I am a “Dreaming Cruiser” who sails, but will never be a BWC 0 0%
I am a yacht “Wanna Be”; I don’t own/lease a yacht 9 10.71%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2009, 21:27   #16

Boat: Buizen 48
Read my reply to your other post on the Poll thread ....
Old 19-07-2009, 21:45   #17

Boat: Gullfstar 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSovereign View Post
Thanks very much for your opinion Bash.

However, I've established the poll using quantifiable criteria, rather than leave the definition open to personal opinions such as yours. That's how validated polls are taken ... using quantifiable criteria.

Of course if anyone's ego (including yours) requires they call themselves a BWC when in fact they have really been a Coastal Cruiser, well most certainly feel free to vote yourself into the BWC category ... if that makes you feel better
Well, now hastn't this thread taken a turn toward a$$hole. Sorry, just my perception.
Old 19-07-2009, 21:51   #18

Boat: Mesqua Ukee, Buccaneer 40 (Salar 40)
Quote:
For the purposes of defining the difference between Blue Water Cruising (BWC) and Coastal/Local Cruising, sailing outside of the 200 mile limit will be considered BWC

Hope this clarifies matters.
For how long. Can you dash out and go back?
Old 19-07-2009, 22:27   #19

Mesq

I will not dignify that query with a response!
Old 19-07-2009, 22:36   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dune View Post
Well, now hastn't this thread taken a turn toward a$$hole. Sorry, just my perception.
IMHO, the only individuals who warrant the label you have expressed are those who:
  1. Simply view the survey and whose egos and/or insecurity prevents them from voting (over 200 at last count)
  2. those who want to define the poll criteria to suite their own subjective opinions and egos
  3. Those who have nothing better to do than to offer their unrequested perceptions, opinions and criticisms
Which of the above, if any, apply to you?
Old 19-07-2009, 22:50   #21

Boat: Gullfstar 50
Quote:
IMHO, the only individuals who warrant the label you have expressed are those who:
  1. Simply view the survey and whose egos and/or insecurity prevents them from voting (over 200 at last count)
  2. those who want to define the poll criteria to suite their own subjective opinions and egos
  3. Those who have nothing better to do than to offer their unrequested perceptions, opinions and criticisms
Which of the above, if any, apply to you?
Do you actually believe that this ‘poll’ you are taking will yield any quantitative data?
I could, and might, vote any way that I feel, and you would never be able to verify that it was a true vote. My perception, and it was just that, MY perception, was that this thread was becoming hostile. My perception does not change.
I have no agenda, nor do I have an ego that needs stroking by knowing why or how others do, or don't, enjoy sailing. I do however, think that this poll would be interesting. I just wouldn't take the results as gospel.
IMHP
Old 20-07-2009, 01:59   #22
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Some Clarity

Blue Sovereign, I think one of the problems you are having with this poll is that real cruisers hate to be “pigeon-holed”

In my case:

-I have sailed across Oceans numerous times, so I guess that makes me BWC…BUT….

-I only do that to get to the other side since costal cruising is far more rewarding….does that then make me a costal cruiser?

-There are some places I still dream of visiting, but doubt that I will do it…..does that make me a dreamer? (hell yes!)

I think your title is too open to interpretation so may I suggest that you try and rename this Poll something like;

“What level of Cruising Experience do you have?”

Thanks for trying to quantify this amongst members.
Old 20-07-2009, 03:28   #23
Armchair Bucketeer

I dunno about the definition of BWC, I kinda thought about BWC as all or a combination of: sailing between continents / more than 24 hours away from any land / past the continental shelf / at least thinking about icebergs or hostile natives with a large cooking pot .....but to be honest not given the definition of BWC any great thought.

I voted: "I am a “Coastal/Local Area Cruiser”, with no real BWC experience" - I would have prefered to have had an option that also added "might do a bit of BWC at some point, but no great desire".

As my profile says: me tied to the dock , I had a vague intention of doing some extended time local (ish) area cruising this summer, but looking at my watch I see it aleady says mid July Maybe next year If I don't sail to the moon in the meantime.

BWC? I don't rule it out at some point, but no burning ambition - possibly something to do with coming from a small island so the "boat thing" ain't that special and their being sea monsters over the horizon ......or could just be that long ago discovering that travelling the globe for extended periods is cheaper and more conveniant (for me) by jumbo jet .......especially when combined with motorbikes, beer, women, sun and, yes, even boats ........but the great thing about life, the world (and even CF.com) is that folk are all different - including their experances and dreams.

For any advertisers reading this; my penis is big enough already and I know that I don't have any relatives in Nigeria, whether recently deceased former Generals with hidden bank accounts or not .

Be interesting to see how this thread "develops"

Old 20-07-2009, 03:56   #24
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:

I wonder what over 140 people and the 5 Moderators currently on-line, have to hide???
Must confess if I had also read this thread earlier I probably wouldn't have bothered with a vote / response on the Poll thread..........rightly or wrongly I get the impression over both threads that you are trying to create a stick to beat (some?) folk with - hopefully time will prove me wrong
Old 20-07-2009, 04:15   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Blue Sovereign, I think one of the problems you are having with this poll is that real cruisers hate to be “pigeon-holed”

In my case:

-I have sailed across Oceans numerous times, so I guess that makes me BWC…BUT….

-I only do that to get to the other side since costal cruising is far more rewarding….does that then make me a costal cruiser?

-There are some places I still dream of visiting, but doubt that I will do it…..does that make me a dreamer? (hell yes!)

I think your title is too open to interpretation so may I suggest that you try and rename this Poll something like;

“What level of Cruising Experience do you have?”

Thanks for trying to quantify this amongst members.
Regarding your "level of experience": some people have 12 years of experience, some have 3 years of experience 4x, some have 4 years of experience 3x, some have 2 years of experience 6x, etc. The word you are referring to is called competence, and no poll short of actually testing individuals will give you that data.

As it pertains, to most of your other re-definitions: that is what you've in effect done in your response; re-defined the polling categories. I didn't poll whether you are "a Dreamer", the poll defines "Dreaming Cruiser" as someone who sails but has no plans to ever BWC.

Bottom-line: there are no "BUT"s when taking polls. there are only defined categories, and votes within each one. I.E no one voted for Obama or Bush and was able to right next to their vote "BUT"

Finally, and as it pertains to your "real cruisers hate to be pigeon-holed”: that I am quite coinfident, professionally speaking, more accurately equates to "whose egos and/or insecurity prevents them from voting"

Coincidently, to date NOT ONE Moderator has voted ...

I'm glad you also feel it would be rewarding to learn the make-up of the indididuals how view on this board.

Be assured to date the "voter to viewer ratio", and "no Moderator participation" offers the most informative insight......

See my quote below.....

William
Old 20-07-2009, 04:20   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Must confess if I had also read this thread earlier I probably wouldn't have bothered with a vote / response on the Poll thread..........rightly or wrongly I get the impression over both threads that you are trying to create a stick to beat (some?) folk with - hopefully time will prove me wrong
Be assured, not at all David.
That said, read my last post on the other poll thread, it says it all ...
and read my quote below....
Old 20-07-2009, 04:22   #27
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
OK, I have voted but make no other comment, there seems to enough of those already
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 20-07-2009, 04:28   #28
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
You have a flaw in your poll, it´s extremely unlikely you´ll find a blue water cruiser with "a definite plan and a date" to do anything,....
Old 20-07-2009, 04:41   #29
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Quote:
I wonder what over 140 people and the 5 Moderators currently on-line, have to hide???
I drive a stinkboat therefore none of your categories in the poll apply to me.
Old 20-07-2009, 05:06   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I'm with David on this. The whole way this "poll" is shaped is why I looked and walked away. One senses that somehow, those of us who are "coastal cruisers" are somehow not quite up to the stature of the "bwcs".

How about a category that says "I couldn't give a crap about blue water, I love what I'm doing now."

And how is it relevant what the Mods sailing experience is? They are here to Moderate the board. If they happen to have great sailing experience so much the better.
Closed Thread