Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-10-2012, 07:35   #16

Boat: Maxum 37'
Re: What It Has Cost Us To Cruise - Last 4 Yrs

Good info. That amount looks very reachable, and ultimately more realistic than 500/mo.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:57   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Chuckr,

Teh med can be really expensive, although there are also many anchorage sites which are free. Food is generally going to cost a bit more over here than in the states, but shopping at local markets in Med countries will help reduce that.

In my neck of the woods (Baltic) harbor fees for my 40 footer generally run about 35 euros (say 4o dollars?), electricity may or may not be included, if not figure 1 to 2 euros per night. showers may or may not be included.

I don't thnkyou woould end up spending very much more here in europe than you are now - depends of course, lots of very expensive harbors especially in the med. But you can avoid them

Old 10-10-2012, 08:04   #18

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53

Here is a great link to a couple who are circumnavigating on an Amel 53. They have itemized all of their expenses in an Excel worksheet for 6 years. They have posted the sheet on their site: www.svbebe.com once on the site, click on the COSTS tab at the top.
I think we can all agree this is one of the most asked questions of a cruiser by a wanabe cruiser. There is no real answer; it just depends on how much comfort you wish to have and the condition of your vessel.
Mark
www.creampuff.us
Old 10-10-2012, 14:06   #19

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

carstenb -- thanks a lot for that -- there are a few brits here that told me the same thing -- you may have to work a bit harder to keep the cost down but very doable -
we look forward to seeing you in the med if you are there - God willing and the creeks don't rise

chuck patty and svsoulmates
in trini for hurricane season
Old 10-10-2012, 14:17   #20

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

mcerdos - good data from bebe -- if you take out the 34k for the ocean transport it averages about 4400 per mo - looking at theirs and mine the real differences in we eat a little less expensively, their boat insur is higher, we do not carry medical, their sightseeing is a lot higher- perhaps they took longer trips than we did, they of course are maintaining a 53' boat vs our 40' which accounts for a lot

thanks for sharing

chuck patty and svsoulmates
in trini for hurricane season
Old 10-10-2012, 14:29   #21

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Very good Chuck and Patty!

I'm glad to hear your income exceeds your expenses, it makes unexpected expenses less of a worry.

I haven't cruised in the Med, but have been to many ports there over the years, and the costs in each place can vary by large amounts. I found Turkey to be the least expensive and France the most expensive. As was said earlier, it will depend on your cruising tastes.

Any places you've been to in your travels you would not go back to?
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2012, 04:39   #22

Boat: Sailing Club and Charter Boats

Thank you, chuck and Patty, for this great and honest post! It is exciting to see real data about the costs involved with the type of cruising we would one day like to do - living comfortably on a 40-ish, recent model production boat and exploring the US and Caribbean. I speculate (but with confidence) that there are many for whom this represents the way we would like to sail.

We chartered a Jeanneau 39DS out of Toulon in July. We sailed along the cost past St. Tropez and from St. Raphael down to Corsica. Here are some observations about the med.

We found that anchorages are plentiful, but you must take care of weather because few are protected from more than half or the compass. Those with good protection are often crowded.

We found that a night in a marina was usually between 40 and 55 Euros, or about 55 to 75 US dollars. Moorings were 15 to 25 Euros per night. Sometimes showers were a long walk, but our boat had a good shower so we didn't bother.

We discovered, to our disappointment, that water is not available at fuel docks. You will find water only at a slip. This might affect your plans. We and our friends (total of 4 pax) could only go 3 nights before draining the Jeanneau's 85 gallon tank, but we use a lot of water. (We start every day with a hot shower, clean clothes, and a nice cup of coffee, or we're not having fun. Your mileage will vary.) So, every fourth day we needed a marina just to refill the water tanks.

We found that med mooring was easy. The vessel had bow thrusters, which were quite helpful, and the forward tie-off points were always prepositioned. We never had to drop our anchor and then back into a slip. Bring lots of fenders, though, including a couple of big ones for the stern.

Fuel was about twice the US cost - maybe $10 or $12 a gallon (can't be more precise - I just closed my eyes and handed over the credit card).

Winds were a bit fluky. The forecast could call for 3 knots and flat water, and instead we'd have 28 knots and chop because of a Mistral. This resulted mostly in more engine time than we'd expected, and thus higher fuel costs when we needed to go somewhere within a timeframe.

Happy cruising and thanks again for the great post!

-Bailey
Old 14-10-2012, 07:41   #23

Boat: Tayana 48
Chuck2,
Great information. Thanks! We are planning to hit the ocean in 3 years on our 48 tayana and in the process of upgrading, fixing, learning etc. Budget is a major question on what to plan for. Thanks again.
Old 14-10-2012, 08:49   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin

The relative cost of cruising is not much different than the relative cost of dirt dwelling in that it's all about your lifestyle. My personal feelings are that if you don't dine out and become a 'tourist' in your home grounds, you probably won't do it when cruising. If you like to treat yourself to dining out every so often and take short 'touristy' stuff in your home grounds, you will continue to do so when cruising. It's your lifestyle.
When I was living in the USVI, I referred to several cruisers as "The Prisoners of St. Thomas". Many of them bought large boats stateside, that were old and falling apart. They couldn't afford to maintain them and some were no longer able to sail or motor or both. The owners were 'hawking' in the downtown shopping area trying to get tourists into the many shops. They didn't make enough money to stay at a marina or make repairs. Some told me that their families would send them money to get home but not money for the boat. They barely earned enough money to feed themselves. Most chose to stay and live the vagabond life rather than accept defeat. That was their choice.
Anyway, back on topic again, your lifestyle should at least be as good as it was before cruising.
For most middle income people, the cruising lifestyle will be much less expensive than dirt dwelling but still not 'cheap'. That is why many cruisers are retired - they have a sustainable income.
If you are in the lower income bracket, the cruising life will be rough - attainable, but rough.
Me personally, I think a couple would need about $2500/mo. income with at least $20K for emergency back-up.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 06:18   #25

Boat: Tayana 42

Thanks for the post! We are just finishing our first year of cruising. It isn't cheap, even when you barely go out to eat (and cheaply if we do) and don't ever stay in marinas. We did upgrade our davits and added solar panels and had other boat repairs which totaled about 6k. We are about the 27k range for the first year (includes the 6k). This does not include boat or medical insurance. Our food/alchohol was about 18% of the 27k. We usually eat fresh produce but do not ever buy meat or fish. We buy the cheapest wine possible and I do like my beer.
Old 15-10-2012, 06:54   #26

Boat: Beneteau 36

The numbers below are every penny spent leaving from St Augustine, Fl to Baltimore MD. This is the trip up the East Coast we took beginning June 1 Through Oct 1. This isn't long term cruising but just an idea on our spending. I outfitted the boat with brand new everything the month before leaving, hence maint. so low. We have never been to a marina or mooring ball. I am self insured both on the boat and medical. This is every penny we have spent and we never really hold back on doing anything. We are currently headed South and through the Carib. this year.

June-Sept.

Boat Parts 625.65
7.86%
Boat Repairs 358.25
4.5%
Diesel 446.07
5.6%
Dinghy Dockage 228.48
2.87%
Gas 232.99
2.93%
Groceries 1,406.04
17.66%
Household 25.38
0.32%
Laundry 42.00
0.53%
Meals 1,015.12
12.75%
Other 63.59
0.8%
Partying 1,972.18
24.77%
Propane 16.89
0.21%
Toys 39.69
0.5%
Transportation 1,489.60
18.71%

Total Expense 7,961.93
100.0%

www.goneglobaladventures.com
Gone Global is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 15:32   #27

Toys?
Old 17-10-2012, 09:54   #28

Boat: Beneteau 36

HAHA, sorry that can be misread. That is the expense category for any new toys (surfboards, paddleboards, fishing gear, dive stuff, spearguns, kiteboarding gear, etc). And also all the expense incurred maintaining all of those items that are non essential to sailing.

www.goneglobaladventures.com
Gone Global is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 10:52   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Boatless Again

In our experience, the South Pacific and Asia were quite a bit cheaper than the Caribbean, and the Med was a bit more expensive, but maybe that's because we started in the South Pacific and prices were going up everywhere with time. We spent $20,000/yr the South Pacific and $35,000/yr in the Caribbean and the Med for 2 people on a 45 ft boat. Same lifestyle, but but disaster health insurance and no boat insurance outside the Med and Australia.

We did less boat maintenance/improvements in the Med because it was more expensive, and more in Asia because it was far cheaper.
Old 26-11-2012, 15:35   #30

Boat: Tayana 42

Thanks for really good information in this thread. 25 years ago we lived aboard a Tartan 30, cruising from the Great Lakes to the East Coast and then to the Bahamas on $25 a day, plus a 6k slush fund for emergencies. Went way over budget one day in Florida, because I and my crew decided to get hitched. We spent $100 on that, all told. Her wedding present, at her request, was a 15kg. Bruce anchor. Next year we're heading out again, in a Tayana 42 if all goes well. $2500-$3000 a month sounds reasonable.

Tags
cruise

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: