Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2013, 04:58   #61

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown
Re: What island is your favorite...

I couldn't pick one island as a favorite. It all depends on what I'm looking for at the time. Usually, that doesn't include a lot of tourists, we are more of the explorer types.

From the 1000 Islands in the St. Lawrence, to the San Juans, Aleutians, South Pacfic Atolls, to the islands of Maine, the Great Lakes, to Great St. James Island and Fish Cay and even to little Dog Island and St George Island, each has their own charater, and raw beauty.

I suppose if I HAD to choose one, I'd pick Dominica. Stunning little island, friendly people, but not much in the way of anchorages (2), and one is pretty much stuck with picking up a bouy.

So many places, so little time.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2013, 05:24   #62

Did a charter in the Maldives in 2011 with an all Muslim crew. Great experience and would go back again to do in heartbeat. Though I met another sailor in the states who cruised there in his boat and found it to be a most boring experience and could not wait to move on. We on the other hand just loved cruising around the north and south atolls, snorkeling, relaxing, having a glass of wine at sunset and yes, fish were caught:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: CAPT. MIKE IN THE MALDIVES: DAY SIX
Being a Muslim country you will not find beach bars on the secluded motus but, may find an exclusive Spa with and underwater massage room:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: CAPT MIKE IN THE MALDIVES: DAY EIGHT
We had lunch there on the beach while at other tables Russian billionares dined with their girlfriend and a honeymooning European couples were also just waking up to the day.

One of my current favorite places is Culebra where I have plans take my boat in the next year or two and just hang out for the winter.
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: CAPT. MIKE IN THE LEEWARD ISLANDS PART FOUR: CULEBRA
To me it offers just enough seclusion with the ability to reprovision up from time to time.

At the other end of the scale I've been to Key West a number of times over the years and have always enjoyed it:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: 24 HOURS IN KEY WEST
But, I do have plans to experience it and other areas of the Keys while living on my boat in the near future too.

From my current home port I can visit places like Cuttyhunk (another island I really like) or Block Island, Nantucket and Marthas Vineyard which makes for a little variety when one wants a little more action. Though I tend to consider the boat as my floating movable "island" one that gets me to places and sights unknown to those who live on land:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: DESTINATION: HOOK MOUNTAIN
I find even in crowded metropolitan areas in and around New York I don't have to go very far to find the seclusion and scenic beauty that my movable "island" allows me to get to.
Old 30-03-2013, 05:43   #63

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Here's one I love: a little speck in the cove of a small island in Casco Bay. Uninhabited, untrammeled, peaceful, wild. . . .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Little_Little_Whaleboat.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	58224  
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2013, 08:15   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It sounds like those of you who are disparaging San Juan Island have never been here. We've got no bridge -- the only way to get here is via boat (and there is a ferry system here), by small wheel-plane, or by float-plane. There is a real town here, with real people. Population definitely rises during tourist season, but even in the winter, life goes on. The locals are very friendly.

The sailing is spectacular, with so many coves and islands you could never visit them all in a lifetime. The wind isn't as reliable as (say) San Francisco, and we have a lot of power boats here, but plenty of sailboats as well. Here's mine:
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2013, 08:57   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
It sounds like those of you who are disparaging San Juan Island have never been here. We've got no bridge -- the only way to get here is via boat (and there is a ferry system here), by small wheel-plane, or by float-plane. There is a real town here, with real people. Population definitely rises during tourist season, but even in the winter, life goes on. The locals are very friendly.

The sailing is spectacular, with so many coves and islands you could never visit them all in a lifetime. The wind isn't as reliable as (say) San Francisco, and we have a lot of power boats here, but plenty of sailboats as well. Here's mine:
And the view of Mount Baker at sunset from the end of the dock at Friday Harbor is mind blowing.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2013, 10:58   #66

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: What island is your favorite...

I like the isle of Manhattan
Smoke on your pipes and
put that in!

Seriously, I'm with the no bridge bunch but not all at the same time.

Met too many local bruddahs when living in HI.
No bruddah
No Bad.

With apologies to Mr. Marly
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2013, 11:39   #67

Boat: Allures 44

Quote:
Vieques... comes across as the most idylic island I've ever been to.
After bombing it for 10 years I have a different impression. I suppose it's more idyllic now.
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2013, 16:03   #68

Boat: Finnsailer 38

San Juan Island is lovely--only been there by ferry so far, but I look forward to sailing the Pacific Northwest up to Alaska some day.
Old 30-03-2013, 16:13   #69

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
The Big Island of Hawaii, especially the volcano park and Green Sand Beach. Very rugged and remote.
Old 30-03-2013, 22:39   #70

Boat: Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
The Big Island of Hawaii, especially the volcano park and Green Sand Beach. Very rugged and remote.
My backyard

Taken to the sea ... Our Family Adventures
buhrly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2013, 23:40   #71

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
,if big island hawaii is anything to go by,which i have visited and you like mom and pop rip off kitch tourist dives,there are soooooooo many better places in the world!
personally american samoa has more to offer the real traveler than any on that list
I lived there for 7 years and yes...there are a lot of rip offs. To be honest, Hawaii has few real Hawaiians. Generally, People born there from descendants of other countries brought in to work the now defunct sugar and Pineapple Industry.
If you live on the Big Island, it is really up to that person to make it a decent place to be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin Pardey View Post
We really enjoyed sailing in to Hilo, Hawaii. I am told the back of the island is really touristy, but we found the Hilo area to be absolutely charming, bicycle friendly and we got to know several local folks by joining in at a dance competition. It was in a park just a short ride from Radio Bay and to watch some of the older Hawaiian women dance is a treat - you can tell they've been doing it for years and years. We had sailed there from Chile - spent a lot of time at off the beaten track islands on the way so enjoyed the contrast.
Actually, Hilo is quite touristy in it's own way but yes quaint. The real beauty to me is finding all the ancient villages via kayak and hiking. These places will never be advertised. But you can buy a real voodoo doll, made in Indonesia at the Hilo Market on Sundays...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
The state does not treat cruisers well so this survey has to be land/tourist based.

kind regards,
You and i have talked about this on occasion. The Hawaiian Islands could be the equivalent of the Caribbean. A real cash cow. But the bureaucracy just cannot let go of old ideas that are not even native to the Hawaiians.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2013, 05:36   #72

Boat: 28 ft Intrepid, hull #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfarrar View Post
After bombing it for 10 years I have a different impression. I suppose it's more idyllic now.
Ah yes... the incessant controversial bombing. Funny enough, I among a few of college friends from back in the day camped out one spring break at what can perhaps be called "ground zero".

This was during a court injunction prohibiting any further bombing at the time. And scattered all about were split shell casings that had been fired from afar by naval warships with three WWII tanks serving as targets just inland from the beach.

The following year, a spring break reveller inadvertedly stepped on some unexploded ordinance. And it goes without saying that security at that idyllic beach was subsequently enhanced and access to that beach greatly restricted.

btw.. last I heard was that the Hiltons, Marriotts, and Sheratons of the corporate greed world have already carved out their desired idyllic beach location on this small island.

Evidently the only thing precluding any immediate construction is the depleted uranium from exploded ordinance scattered throughout the island and now purportedly causing a high incidence of cancer... especially among young children of the local populace.

But I digress... Vieques - idyllic nontheless. imho.
S/V Blondie-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 17:55   #73

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheroad View Post
Key West is more of a third world island than an american island.
If you dont believe me take a second look at my grammer and spelling.
But, serioussly KW is closer to a communist country than it is its own mainland.
We have haitians, cubans, hondurans, peruvians, mexicans, bahamians, dominicans, polish (myself), cheks, english, latvia, french, canadian, isralies, iran, pakis, south africans, irish, russians, conchs, pirates, bulgarians, hawaiians, new engalnders, southerners,germans, kiwis, guyana, africa, gays, fugitives and perverts all living here both Legals and Illegals all mostly living in harmony.

official KW slogan is "one human family".

I could quadruple the above list if I wasnt soo lazy (keys disease).

Not to mention my wife is Australian.

The diversity here is intense and the influence is wicked.

oh yeah....BlackOak also

endoftheroad

As I mentioned I could add to this list but I'm not in the mood.

But out of respect I must mention the Military here in key west.

Okay.....the skateboarders everywhere not being an issue with Barney and my dog off his leash is cool to.

But the lady at Walgreens was so damn stoned today it was annoying getting service.
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote