Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2012, 06:45   #76
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
Re: What is the Smallest Boat That You Would Sail Outside of Coastal Waters?

All small boats are not created equal. I sailed much of the Bahamas in a 23' sloop. I like cockpits with open transoms, I cut out the transom on my 23 after a few occasions of sitting waist deep in water waiting for the cockpit to drain, hoping it was going out the insufficient cockpit drains faster than through the companionway boards.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:03   #77

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

I'm the opposite, I prefer high transoms. The faster the water comes out the easier it is to get back in. Large drains are required though. How is the Morgan 33? I was considering buying one for Carribean, Gulf crossings.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:04   #78

Boat: Cobra 850
Send a message via Yahoo to Capitain Mike Send a message via Skype™ to Capitain Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Thanks for calling me on this. In looking at my post, I see people can misunderstand. I feel like the Catalina 27 can be made into a boat you can sail offshore. I had my boat in some microburst conditions, but always inshore. It always handled itself well (i could sail her with wind and waves at force 7.) However- I currently sail offshore in a Valiant 40. Even then I tend to get seasick when the seas become confused ( which tends to be a lot of the time here in the PNW) I really feel there is no easy- "10 foot swells is OK" The first priority is how good is the sailor? followed by how good is the boat?. A sound boat like a Contessa 26 or a Catalina (modified) 27 should fit the bill. What I was trying to say is that 6000 lbs is about the smallest weight in which I think a good design can be implemented.
Thanks for the reply. I can see where you are coming from but I don't think it really answers the question at the start of this thread. I think perhaps he should have phrased it differently possibly.

What is the Smallest Boat That You Would Sail Outside of Coastal Waters?

"What is the smallest baot that you would sail outside of coastal waters. And when I say coastal, then lets say 50-100 mi. I ask because I wonder what the an average sailor would saill. someone not out to set a record and that wants to sail safe. So what, 20 ft, 25-30ft?"

This would have to be answered by an average sailor LOL
Old 05-06-2012, 07:12   #79

Send a message via Yahoo to Capitain Mike Send a message via Skype™ to Capitain Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
I'm the opposite, I prefer high transoms. The faster the water comes out the easier it is to get back in. Large drains are required though. How is the Morgan 33? I was considering buying one for Carribean, Gulf crossings.
Morgan 33 Reviews as below hit the blue Google

Google
Old 05-06-2012, 08:44   #80
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

Love my Morgan, Just getting ready for my annual 1000mi trek from tampa to charleston. The boat was actually built for chartering in the areas you plan to cruise. Shallow draft, low bridge clearance at 48'. Last time down the east coast went from ft Pierce to miami while it was gusting to 50 kts. Stayed dry and comfy and didnt have to manual steer. Not an upwind boat but tracks beautifully and is just about indestructable in the rudder, prop department. Way deficient in the cockpit drain department. One the size of a sink drain that can be plugged by a single leave. Gonna open up the transom eventually. Like the idea of a one way flapper type transom door letting water out freely but keeping following seas out where they belong.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:01   #81
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitain Mike
Thanks for the reply. I can see where you are coming from but I don't think it really answers the question at the start of this thread. I think perhaps he should have phrased it differently possibly.

What is the Smallest Boat That You Would Sail Outside of Coastal Waters?

"What is the smallest baot that you would sail outside of coastal waters. And when I say coastal, then lets say 50-100 mi. I ask because I wonder what the an average sailor would saill. someone not out to set a record and that wants to sail safe. So what, 20 ft, 25-30ft?"

This would have to be answered by an average sailor LOL
Its still not an easy answer. I would take my boat out at 26 feet and 2700 kilos loaded but wouldn't take a macgregor or a J24. There are a number of sub 30 foot boats I would go in.

A better question is "What is your preferred size for blue water cruising for two people." my answer to that would be around 39 foot plus...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:17   #82
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

I can't remember if I already posted on this thread, or another one just like it, so please forgive this if it is a double post.

I have sailed an open 6.5 near shore while helping my friend get ready for his solo Trans-Atlantic crossing. Absolutely amazing boats, and I would have no problemen taking it off shore, or even across an ocean, but that's what they were built for. With every system optimized for speed, and safety. But it is a very expensive 20' boat.

I don't think size is really a good determiner of capability, but rather build quality and equipment quality. There are some 60' boats I wouldn't take much out of site of land because they weren't built to take it, on the other hand an Olson 30 is one of the winningest designes in the solo Trans-Pac.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:18   #83

Old 09-06-2012, 15:27   #84

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
(...) I don't think size is really a good determiner of capability,(...)
+1!

For it is not a determiner. The problem comes when people fail to see that something that is NOT a determiner may still be a contributing factor.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2012, 00:16   #85

I've done a lot of miles in a particular 23' sailing yacht I'd happily cross an ocean in. Especially if I had to go alone.
The boat was designed, built and fitted out with that capability. Things like a spare rudder are built into the joinery.
Anchoring gear passes the WTF test.
Laminated deck beams have alu flitch plates on the midplane, linking the cabin top to the hull, rigging is oversized, all engineering is done to big boat standards.

So IMO it's not a question of buying a stock design and heading for the horizon, if you like the appeal of small boats.

... which, if they weren't somewhat impractical in terms of carrying capacity, I have a sneaking preference for...

On a bigger yacht you're distanced from the ocean in a way I can never quite shrug off.

More importantly: It's always a worry when major breakages occur on such vessels, if there's no-one else to help you safely restrain the much larger forces. Imagine a broken gooseneck on a boat with a 150kg boom.
In the sort of conditions where you don't want a breakage, which is when they often happen....

Not to say, 'big boats bad', but the engineering has to be absolutely beyond reproach if you're going it alone.
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2012, 01:08   #86

The size of the boat is directly related to the size of the bank account. The biggest mistake is to buy more than you can realisticaly afford. So many people sit in harbor trying to pay for their 40 or 50 foot boat and get too old or change plans and never go anywhere. Go with what you can realisticly afford, but go go go . _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2012, 05:11   #87

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Troup View Post
(...)

On a bigger yacht you're distanced from the ocean in a way I can never quite shrug off.

More importantly: It's always a worry when major breakages occur on such vessels, if there's no-one else to help you safely restrain the much larger forces. Imagine a broken gooseneck on a boat with a 150kg boom.
In the sort of conditions where you don't want a breakage, which is when they often happen....

(...)
Interestingly, some of our friends who have 'stepped up' to bigger boats claim the same: bigger boat = you are farther from the ocean and this changes the perception of the voyage completely.

And with the breakages I think you are bang on - big boat, big problem.

But not everybody 'steps up'. One couple we know sailed rtw in a big boat and later they got themselves a 'small' 32' Waquiez and have been sailing her happily ever after.

Choices.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2012, 05:16   #88

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31 - Cielo Azul

Pacific Seacraft 31....but I might be biased :-)
Tom
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2012, 06:16   #89

First, the actual wl or length of a vessel as it pertains to it's ability to sail the oceans is one of the least important aspects of sailboat design.

Our Cape Dory 25D, PS Dana, Folkboat, 22' Falmouth Cutter, etc, etc...

All of these are more capable of blue water sailing than lots of the current builders much much larger vessels...

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2012, 06:48   #90

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

There are lots of interesting boats out there. I was considering a Cape Dory 25 or 27 but ended up getting a Nor'sea 27. I like my little boat and knowing I could go anywhere I may want to go.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail